Home U.S. Coin Forum

Advanced Adam Pietz So-Called Dollar Collection Sold

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 30, 2019 8:17AM in U.S. Coin Forum

A set of Adam Pietz So-Called Dollars recently sold on Heritage which I assume came from a single, advanced collection. 3 of the 4 graded pieces are top pops. I'm still a bit ambivalent about the swastika but it had a much different connotation in 1917 and 1926 when these were struck, and it is part of our history. Anyone know who owned these?

I won the WWI SCD and die trial. I was the underbidder on the Liberty Bell piece. I wanted to bid on the MS67 piece but was confused by the Heritage Live website on my phone as it didn't seem very mobile friendly to me.

1917 World War I Good Luck and Victory - HK-895, NGC MS64 pop 1/2/0

https://coins.ha.com/itm/so-called-dollars/-1917-world-war-i-good-luck-so-called-dollar-hk-895-ms64-ngc/a/131913-27908.s

This was featured in the Numismatist twice in January 1918 and October 1918 as Pietz's personal "Loyalty Token". It indicates "some 600" of these were struck but they seem fairly hard to come by. It was for families and friends to give to departing soldiers and sailors during the war. I picked up a lead specimen from Rich Hartzog's collection a while back so I was glad to add this one to my collection as well. There's more info on this piece, including the two 1918 articles in this thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1011374/adam-pietzs-world-war-i-good-luck-and-victory-so-called-dollar-hk-895#latest

1926 US Sesquicentennial - Lady Liberty - HK-457, NGC MS67 pop 25/1/0

https://coins.ha.com/itm/so-called-dollars/1926-us-sesquicentennial-expo-adam-pietz-so-called-dollar-hk-457-ms67-ngc/a/131913-27911.s

This is the lone MS67 ATS, however, it does not appear gilt as HK-457 is supposed to be. ATS catalogs HK-457A as Bronze so perhaps this should really be HK-457A now. HK doesn't list HK-457A under new discoveries.

1926 US Sesquicentennial - Lady Liberty - HK-457, NGC MS64 pop 7/12/7

https://coins.ha.com/itm/so-called-dollars/1926-us-sesquicentennial-exposition-adam-pietz-so-called-dollar-hk-457-ms64-ngc/a/131913-27909.s

This is the lone non-top pop example, but it has a different look from the MS67. Perhaps this is HK-457 and the MS67 is really HK-457A as mentioned.

1926 US Sesquicentennial - Liberty Bell - HK-457B, NGC MS66 pop 0/1/0

https://coins.ha.com/itm/so-called-dollars/1926-us-sesquicentennial-exposition-liberty-bell-bronze-so-called-dollar-hk-457b-unknown-rarity-ms66-ngc-bronze-34-mm/a/131913-27910.s

This is unique ATS. HK-457B is also unlisted in the HK guide. HK-457B is an ATS designation.

1932 Jean Harlow Die Trial, Ungraded

https://coins.ha.com/itm/medals-and-tokens/1932-ms-jean-harlow-adam-pietz-die-trial-copper-uncertified/a/131913-27912.s

I'm a die trial fan and also like attributed pieces so I like the fact this piece has Adam Pietz's name on it and indicates he was the sculptor. This piece was struck by the US Mint in Philadelphia during the time Pietz was Assistant Chief Engraver from 1927 to 1946. Here's some information on Jean Harlow from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Harlow

Comments

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool pieces.

Thank you for sharing.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must be losing my focus, I had these on my watch list and forgot completely about them. I would have pushed the 895 a little more than that. :'(

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

What evidence is there that any of Pietz' medals were struck by the Philadelphia Mint?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was an actual Jean Harlow medal ever struck?

All glory is fleeting.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

Yes uni face as the die trial in nickel or pewter as I recall?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 3:23PM

I think most should have been designated Full Head by NGC... Right @keets? ;):D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 8:29PM

@RogerB said:
    What evidence is there that any of Pietz' medals were struck by the Philadelphia Mint?

@291fifth said:

In 2017, Heritage sold a bronze version of the actual medal and mentioned it was struck by the Philadelphia Mint. Of note, it was sold under entertainment and not coins. The below is the Heritage description, emphasis mine. While this isn't direct evidence, it does provide some information to follow up on.

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/movie-tv-memorabilia/awards/a-jean-harlow-commemorative-medallion-1932/a/7157-89405.s

A Jean Harlow Commemorative Medallion, 1932. Bronze, depicting an image of the star in profile next to text reading "Jean / Harlow / 1932 / Adam Pietz / Sculptor" -- the assistant chief engraver from 1927 to 1946 at the Philadelphia Mint where this piece was made; housed in a navy blue box.

Diameter: 3" From the David Gest Memorabilia Archive.

edited March 29, 2019 8:15PM

@keets said:
    I must be losing my focus, I had these on my watch list and forgot completely about them. I would have pushed the 895 a little more than that. :'(

Thanks for not bidding and allowing me to save a few bucks! You have so many great So-Called Dollars, it's nice to let others have some too :)

edited March 29, 2019 8:30PM

The American Numismatic Society has an article in the Spring 2014 issue of the "ANS Magazine", Volume 13, Issue 1 covering Adam Pietz:

"The Smiling, Genial German: U.S. Mint Engraver Adam Pietz" by David Hill

Of note, the ANS Collection has two Pietz medals shown in the article, a WWI Good Luck medal donated by Adam Pietz himself and a Jean Harlow medal donated by Wayte Raymond. The ANS inventory numbers appear to indicate the Good Luck medal was donated in 1917 and the Harlow medal was donated in 1953.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not surprised the Harlow medal was sold under the entertainment category. That is where the real money is.

All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That WWI good luck medal is impressive... I must watch for one of those...though most will be super expensive I would imagine. Checked ebay and none listed.... Cheers, RickO

edited March 30, 2019 8:52AM

@ricko said:
    That WWI good luck medal is impressive... I must watch for one of those...though most will be super expensive I would imagine. Checked ebay and none listed.... Cheers, RickO

This one from 2014 is the only one I found from eBay so far. It's not in nearly as nice condition but it's nice to know these were circulated.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/called-dollar-hk-895-524156104

Here are the Heritage photos for the WWI medal.

edited March 30, 2019 8:48AM

The Heritage auction blurb is not "evidence." I don't have anything indicating that any of Pitez medals were struck by the Philadelphia Mint. He certainly contributed portions of a few Mint medals, but nothing entirely of his own. (I also have some of his correspondence with Director Ross and Ross' private secretary. There's lots about medals and how he worked, but nothing about official work.)

edited March 30, 2019 8:51AM

@RogerB said:
    The Heritage auction blurb is not "evidence." I don't have anything indicating that any of Pitez medals were struck by the Philadelphia Mint. He certainly contributed portions of a few Mint medals, but nothing entirely of his own. (I also have some of his correspondence with Director Ross and Ross' private secretary. There's lots about medals and how he worked, but nothing about official work.)

I didn't say it was evidence. I said it was a lead you could follow up on ;)

It would be great to get more information on where this was struck, but this is the only information I have suggesting it was struck anywhere, the Philadelphia Mint, or otherwise. Do you have any thoughts on where this could have been struck, if not the Mint?

I was just reading his biography on in QDB's "Commemorative Coins of the United States" and ran across the following which indicates Bowers and Merena had some of Pietz's personal correspondence. Could this be a place to research?

https://www.pcgs.com/books/commemoratives/AppendixI-015.aspx

On March 20, 1928, he was named to the position of assistant engraver at the Mint, at a salary of $2,400 per year. (Adam Pietz's personal correspondence files arc preserved in the Bowers and Merena Galleries Reference collection. On March 20, 1928, Superintendent Freas Styer appointed him to the post of assistant engraver on a provisional basis, such position to take effect as soon as Pietz took the required oath of office. An unpublished autobiographical sketch prepared by Pietz incorrectly places the date as 1927.) By early 1941 his compensation was $4,400 per year, at which time he was nearly 70 years old. Pietz desired to remain at the Mint past retirement age, and Director Nellie Tayloe Ross secured a temporary extension of his employment, after which he left government service (in March 1946).

Nope. There were a bunch of places that struck medals in addition to Tiffany, Gorham, etc.

edited March 30, 2019 9:16AM

David Hill's ANS article indicates that Pietz worked with various Hollywood stars including Jean Harlow, Bette Davis, Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle, and Loretta Young. Do we know who commissioned these? Perhaps that would be an avenue to follow?

Here's a photo of Pietz working with Lortetta Young from Hill's article:

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know nothing about medals.

I do have an opportunity to buy a MO HK-308 medal

Anyone know what they are worth?

Thanks

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

edited May 12, 2019 12:30AM

@bidask said:
    I know nothing about medals.

I do have an opportunity to buy a MO HK-308 medal

Anyone know what they are worth?

Thanks

I'm glad you picked one up! Medals are great in general and this specific one are great medals. Yours is popular, rare, and relatively pricey for So-Called Dollars. It has a great subject and I love how it's struck in silver.

As for what they are worth, Heritage is your friend. They have a number of theses in their auction archives with prices. For these, it's easy to search by it's HK number, e.g. "HK-308".

This piece is signed by Lauer as listed on the following owner comment on the Hornreich Collection's Registry Set entry. Lauer is also inscribed on HK-422 for the Louisiana Purchase expo. He's also German like Pietz. This time seems to be a great era for German medalists.

OWNER COMMENTS:

Medal, 1904, AR, PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT PROOF DOLLAR, LOUISIANA PURCHASE EXPOSITION, Silver So Called Dollar, HK-308, NGC PR61, Cert# 3475758-059. Obverse features the bust of President Theodore Roosevelt, reverse the Hall of Festivals building with the central cascade fountains in the foreground. Struck in silver this is one of the most popular and highly sought after So-Called Dollars. Only seven have been graded by NGC. This piece has light hairlines in the obverse fields which can be observed on every Roosevelt piece struck. On edge incuse microscopic Siber .990, which is German for silver. This piece is microscopically signed by Lauer at the truncation of the bust on the right below the shoulder. Ex Jeff Shevlin Collection.

I checked and found a few engravers named Lauer. It looks like this could have been done by Lorenz Christian Lauer who did the following German Empire medal and passed away in 1916.

This is in the Fall 2018 issue of the ANS Magazine:

Here's a list of the Lauer's that I've found. The Lauer's below all seem to be from Nuremberg and exported their medals.

• Lorenz Christian Lauer - ANS
    • Ludwig Christoph Lauer (1817 – 1873) - ANS
    • Ernst Ludwig Sigmund Lauer (1762-1833) - Wikipedia
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Zion’s for the information .

Yes I did pick this coin up at the recent Denver Expo :Expo:

Loved the grade and provenance.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

a very prolific issuer of medals during the period being discussed was Medallic Art Co. but, sadly, around 1976 they destroyed all records prior to 1975 which would have been interesting to examine.

edited May 16, 2019 10:01PM

There's currently another advanced Adam Pietz medal collection being sold. The variety is pretty amazing. I'm thinking it would be great to build a small reference for these based on the few collections that have been sold recently.

Here's one that just sold. This one says "Adam Pietz" on both sides.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 8:29AM

Great information thank you for bringing it. How many of these type coins were originally produced and how many are left in America? I have not really done much investigations into the So Called Dollars but they seem to retain their value and have a nice following. I guess I need to open up some of my books. I recently picked up the new Jeff Shelvin book I am guessing its in there! :* TYIA

edited May 21, 2019 8:32AM

@Gluggo said:
    Great information thank you for bringing it. How many of these type coins were originally produced and how many are left in America? I have not really done much investigations into the So Called Dollars but they seem to retain their value and have a nice following. I guess I need to open up some of my books. I recently picked up the new Jeff Shelvin book I am guessing its in there! :* TYIA

Not sure but I want to make a book about Adam Pietz pieces now! I'm not sure there's any reference for his material.

Here's a So-Called Dollar I picked up a while back in a previously unknown metal, lead. Hayden just sold a raw golden bronze version for $389.

edited May 24, 2019 8:25AM

@Zoins said:
    Hayden just sold a raw golden bronze version for $389.

Yes that was me. I am suppose to have that today once I get home from work today I will post some pics. One thing I once communicated with Mr. Hayden and wanted to know his secret in taking good photos on his sales. He said they just use a simple point and shoot camera with good lights. I find that amazing because he is able to capture fantastic colors on his Tokens. I wish I could be there when he is having the pictures taken for his sales.

Pietz is considered by professional art and museum curators as one of thousands of 4th rate sculptors and medalists. He is several notches below deFrancisci and Paul Manship. I checked the SI-AAA and found no catalog of his work...but maybe someone has compiled one recently.

edited May 24, 2019 8:21AM

@RogerB said:
    Pietz is considered by professional art and museum curators as one of thousands of 4th rate sculptors and medalists. He is several notches below deFrancisci and Paul Manship. I checked the SI-AAA and found no catalog of his work...but maybe someone has compiled one recently.

I’m thinking about creating one :)

Being 4th rate is good for late authors, similar to some private patterns ;)

Go for it! :)

edited May 24, 2019 8:22AM

My first reference is underway. This is on the short list and I just picked up some more Pietz pieces :)

You might check the Pietz letter I posted a couple of days ago, too.

edited May 24, 2019 8:44AM

@Gluggo said:

@Zoins said:

Hayden just sold a raw golden bronze version for $389.

Yes that was me. I am suppose to have that today once I get home from work today I will post some pics. One thing I once communicated with Mr. Hayden and wanted to know his secret in taking good photos on his sales. He said they just use a simple point and shoot camera with good lights. I find that amazing because he is able to capture fantastic colors on his Tokens. I wish I could be there when he is having the pictures taken for his sales.

Great and congrats! That looked like a really nice specimen.

I love Hayden’s pics and just picked up a piece from him myself. It’s amazing what you can do with a point and shoot but there are some nice $1,500 point and shoots out there.

So here is the piece I just got today from the Post Office hopefully it comes out a good pict. It is very nice to have in hand I must say.

• THOMAS655THOMAS655 Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

I was the winning bidder on the HK-457 bronze, which is categorized as HK-457a by NGC. I plan to send this medal back to NGC for reattribution. There is currently (1) HK-457a graded by NGC MS 65. That will make this example the top pop of only (2) graded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file