Home U.S. Coin Forum

Adam Pietz's World War I Good Luck and Victory So-Called Dollar - HK-895

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 1, 2021 3:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

1917 Pietz Dollar Loyalty Medal - Lead - by Adam Pietz - HK-895 var. - Ex. Rich Hartzog, Steve Hayden (d)

I just picked up this lead medal by Adam Pietz to add to my So-Called Dollar and World War I collections and I'm looking for more information on it. From the words GOOD LUCK and the top of the eagle's head on the obverse, this looks double struck. More info below the pic.

During World War I, Adam Pietz, an engraver and die sinker of Philadelphia who worked for the US Mint struck what he called his "Loyalty Medal" to show his loyalty to the United States and his lack of "teutonic affiliations". He would show this medal to people he ran across to demonstrate his loyalty to home and country. This medal is cataloged as So-Called Dollar HK-895 in the Hiber & Kappen reference.

Does anyone have more information on this medal or where it was struck? Since he worked at the US Mint and the US Mint used to take private commissions, I was wondering if HK-895 was struck by the Philadelphia Mint, and if not, who struck them. Did he strike them himself?

He also did the 1926 U.S. Sesquicentennial Exposition Lucky Token, known as the "Adam Pietz Dollar and cataloged as HK-457.

Here's some info:

January 2018 - The Numismatist

https://books.google.com/books?id=j2g-AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA28

October 2018 - The Numismatist

https://books.google.com/books?id=j2g-AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA431

H&K 2nd Edition

https://books.google.com/books?id=15AyBb3RCtkC&pg=PA170

Comments

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Called Dollars offer such a wide range of styles, topics and metals there must be something for every numismatist taste. Well worth a look now and again for something interesting.

Thanks Zoins. Another completely unknown medal to me. Lead? Gotta be a rare material for coinage/medals.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would presume this medal is a Die Trial and not a regular issue which would be given a suffix such as HK-895a, although that would probably be appropriate. as such, it may well be unique. I noticed it on eBay and only gave it cursory consideration due to the condition, I didn't even put it on my watch list.

are you looking for more information on the Lead striking?? I doubt you'll find anything, but searching may yield more about Adam Pietz and the Victory Medals. the trouble is that, as noted, they weren't popular and well received when issued so good records and a paper trail from re-ordering or wider interest won't exist. they have survived all this time in relative obscurity, only of interest to a cadre of collectors like us.

to the researching of records for information --- future collectors and the World as a whole will benefit greatly from the Internet and the fact that in time all knowledge will be digitized and accessible. several years ago, maybe 10-15, I was trying to do what you're doing and was relegated to making a few phone calls to the ANA and to MACO. the end result was discouraging. after several long distance relocations MACO decided that they would "only keep records dating back to 1976" and they destroyed what remained!!! for such a prolific and important issuer of Medallic Art that amounted to a great loss for the Hobby.

right now I am in the hunt for a lovely medal from the 1892-93 World's Columbian Exposition. though it was sold at the Exhibition it was designed/struck/issued in Italy. the firm issued some of the most beautiful medals, not only from the Exhibition but over a long period of time.

all of their records were lost in a bombing by the Allies in 1943. :'(

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 8:03AM

Thanks for not bidding @keets! I don't need more competition :)

I agree the condition leaves a lot to be desired, however, it is unlisted in HK in this composition so I thought it might be an interesting research project. Google Books has been amazing for this project and looking up information on my new gold medal. I've been enjoying looking up this old information.

Since HK-895 is unlisted in lead, I've been having some discussions on whether this should get a number or is more appropriately classified as a die trial.

Some thoughts. Many die trials I've seen are:

• uniface
    • on non-circular planchets
    • in pretty good condition

The fact that this one is double sided, on a circular planchet and has seen some wear, supports the case it may not have seen life just as a die trial. Of course, more information than just this would be desirable which is why I'm looking for more info.

From the ANS, I learned that he worked at the US Mint from 1927 to 1946 so this piece was from before that time.

Did die sinkers typically have their own presses at the time or did they contract that out?

http://numismatics.org/archives/ark:/53695/nnan0089

Adam Pietz (1873-1961) was a sculptor, medalist engraver, and etcher. He was born in Offenbach, Germany, and moved to the U.S. in 1889 where he studied at the Chicago Art Institute (1892-1893), Drexel Institute (1894-1898), and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (1899-1903). By 1897 he was an established engraver and die sinker operating out of a private studio on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia. He also served as assistant chief engraver at the Philadelphia Mint from 1927 to 1946. In 1917 he designed a World War I good luck medal for the United States. This So-Called Dollar is remembered for having a swastika, an ancient good-luck symbol, on its obverse. He designed the American Numismatic Association’s Medal of Merit. His only coin design to be minted was the Iowa Statehood Centennial Commemorative Half Dollar (1946). After retiring, he continued his work on medals for the Treasury Department, producing designs that included the Meritorious Service Award Medal (1949), Alexander Hamilton Medal (reverse, 1955), and the Distinguished Service Award (bestowed after his death, 1963).

Here's a photo of Adam Pietz from the ANS:

There's an additional biography from 1922 here in Office Appliances: The Magazine of Office Equipment, Volume 36, July 1922.

https://books.google.com/books?id=avYfAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA39

I've also looked at some Italian issuers of medals for the 1892-93 World's Columbian Exposition. It seems like there were two expositions, one in Chicago and one in Genoa with some issuers striking similar medals for both, one in English and another in Italian. Agree it's an interesting area and sorry to hear about the records.

edited January 15, 2019 2:05PM

I just found out this was from Rich Hartzog's swastika collection and updated the image in the OP. He passed away just over a year ago. Here's some information on him.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/12/exonumia-dealer-rich-hartzog-dead-at-70.all.html

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great piece. Obviously the swastika did not take on the negative connotation it has today, but it is strangely prophetic on a WWI Victory medal. Sort of foreshadowing the Second World War.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

edited May 1, 2021 3:35PM

Revival

I should become come a writer :)

My post above is used in an eBay auction!

I still have to get my lead specimen certified some time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file