Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Third stimulus check pending in my checking account. Will you use towards coin purchases?

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can tell you I am. That four coin AGE set wasn't cheap.

Comments

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't received the benefit of any government handouts in a very long time. Back when cash for clunkers was a thing, my 1980 Volvo 240 was too old to cash in. I made my mortgage payments on time so couldn't take advantage of HARP, missed out on all the COVID stimulus... Such is life I suppose.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2021 5:58PM

Oh Come Sunday, I'll be spending you.
    Oh Come Sunday I'll maybe spend my wife's too!
    Because on Monday, if I do, I'll be not be posting you. :):):)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

I alloted my slush fund a small portion to use towards a recent purchase.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Hell yes! :)

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is going for coins already purchased.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jkrk said:
    I'll probably use the stimulus money to pay my butler.

You better. Since you have to make under $75,000 ($150,000 married), your butler must be woefully underpaid.

You caught me. Yes I was kidding.

The truth is even if I could afford a butler, he/she wouldn't be able to get along with the housekeeper. LOL

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not be getting any this round. But I did get my excise tax today. :/

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

nope the money goes to bills and house repairs

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    I don't get any stimulus money. I don't understand why folks that are employed are getting any, but hey that is life and just moves up the federal debt........

Best, SH

Because Tinkel Down Economics doesn't work.

The workers need extra money to upgrade there belongings. When people upgrade their belonging it causes demand in the market place which causes companies to produce more product. When companies produce more products they need to hire more employees. More employees come from the ranks of the unemployed.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2021 7:32PM

@djm said:

@spacehayduke said:
    I don't get any stimulus money. I don't understand why folks that are employed are getting any, but hey that is life and just moves up the federal debt........

Best, SH

Because Tinkel Down Economics doesn't work.

The workers need extra money to upgrade there belongings. When people upgrade their belonging it causes demand in the market place which causes companies to produce more product. When companies produce more products they need to hire more employees. More employees come from the ranks of the unemployed.

Ok then............ If you are correct, then my investments will benefit so it helps me anyway. Hope you are right.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2021 7:44PM

I'll be investing mine, and later it will be my grandkids' who will someday be paying higher taxes to cover their share of all this "free" money.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do hope to be reaching for a coin soon, but probably not until the old house sells. If this stimulus is going for anything specifically, it’s probably the fireplace insert (desperately needed).
    Anything besides sitting in a bank account should be fulfilling the intended purpose. Even if it seems frivolous...most travel and entertainment is frivolous unless your livelihood depends on it, I suppose.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

🤑

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmorgan said:
    I'll be investing mine, and later it will be my grandkids' who will someday be paying higher taxes to cover their share of all this "free" money.

Don’t be so pessimistic. You’ll get to pay for it too soon enough. :D

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put some money in my brokerage account hoping the fed would say something stupid today and I could buy a dip. But stonks only go up!

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but thanks for the reminder to buy assets soon that will do well with (printing more $$$) and inflation ........

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 5:31AM

Everyone always saying they could do a better job with their tax money than the government. Is this just a test to see if it’s true?

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@android01 said:
    I don't qualify for a check. If I was to get one, I'd give it to someone who really needed it to use as intended - to help with rent, food, bills, debt etc. I'd feel guilty spending it on coins or anything else as frivolous.

My PayPal is pnies20@yahoo.com.

Feel free to send money at any time.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 5:39AM

Paying my taxes with it this month, handy and will be interesting to see if this trickle up strategy pays off. It will certainly help many who have the least for a while. I may first buy 10 boxes of halves from the bank to do a little silver mining before sending it back to them!

Jim

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@android01 said:
    I don't qualify for a check. If I was to get one, I'd give it to someone who really needed it to use as intended - to help with rent, food, bills, debt etc. I'd feel guilty spending it on coins or anything else as frivolous.

The "stimulus" is different than emergency aid. I'm not saying it's a good idea. I'm just saying that it is intended to stimulate consumption.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 6:04AM

I’ll spend most of mine on women and booze, the rest I’ll probably just waste.....

Actually, it covers my healthcare insurance through Cobra for a couple months, since I took a retirement/VLO package in December, with the residual going towards a silver deal I made with a forum member last night.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they gonna send, I am gonna spend it.

Quit being naive.

National debt was ONLY $5T on the eve of 9-11...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got mine Wed, haven't touched it. Ancient coins have gotten way out of hand price-wise the past several months, even $40 coins are now hitting $200+. Few threads on Cointalk of it and many of us have taken a sabbatical.

I've been done with my U.S. coin type set since last year.

World coins, few I want still but nothing that screams SPEND!

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely, inflation is common. I am buying it before my $ becomes worthless

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    If I were getting a stimulus check, I would be wondering what caliber it would be.... :D Cheers, RickO

There is a S&W 360j at a pawn shop I REALLY like. Revolvers so so expensive.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 12:47PM

It will be interesting to see how our gold, silver, guns and numismatic rarities hold up in value and perform, once hyperinflation rolls in, like an ominous, black cloud.

I used to feel guilty about not putting ALL of my disposable income, into retirement investment vehicles, such as 401Ks, but now, I think that my diversification has been wise.....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Party like it's 2021 ......

https://youtu.be/rblt2EtFfC4

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any stimulus money went to my old house which my soon-to-be-ex-wife got in the divorce. Fortunately, I didnt lose my job during the pandemic and I've still been getting paid. If any stimulus money comes my way, I'll likely use it to pay down credit card debt a bit faster...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine just showed up and it just so happens today is the day my commuter (sport touring motorcycle) goes in for the annual tune up as we get to Springtime...the weekend blizzard's snow is already basically gone here in Denver.

This time though I'm changing my gearing a smidge...because 0-60 in 2.2 seconds is just a tiny bit sluggish.
    I'll be saving gas money since if I ride it like an old guy it's an easy 50 miles per gallon (if I do that 0-60 thing a lot it's more like 15 mpg lol!)...

I am definitely using some of the stimulus to stimulate our host!!! My health is on a long curve in the right direction and I'm finally getting some of my grading piles and paperwork completed!

The rest goes in the main account and then also maybe a little bit more BTC and DOGE :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

This discussion has been closed.