Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cud error? Dd error?

If these are error would they have any value ? The one I believe is a cud is raised and is not a gash or cut but is raised. And the other appears to have 2 foreheads.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

First one appears to be post mint damage. PMD
    Second one I can't quite see the doubled forehead but good chance it is machine doubling.

Nothing that makes them worth more than a dime. ;)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need better pics and closer.

A cud is a die break at the edge.of the coin. I think you are referring to the lined on his face. Either PMD or if raised, die crack or die gouge.

The second coin might have machine doubling. If it is as extreme as my screen suggests it might have a little minimal value as a curiosity.

Better pics needed.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a die chip to me.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, a common die chip in that area of the mouth.

NAV, imo

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

NAV = No Added Value

It is an error, it is an 'interesting conversation piece',
    but I don't believe, even on Ebay, that anyone would
    pay more than buck or two at the most, and that's if
    you offer them free shipping........

These are easily found in BU condition, in various
    years, but especially in the past 15-20 years or so.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die chip...

If you are only interested in value, then you can throw it out on ebay and se if someone bids. If they do, you wont get rich.

But it is interesting enough that I'd keep it as a reference piece. Certainly worth the 10 cents it cost you.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hardwoodnhammr .... Welcome aboard... As stated above, the raised spots around the mouth are die chips.... No numismatic premium... the doubling is either die erosion or machine doubling...No added value. Get a Redbook to help you to learn more about coin collecting... Cheers, RickO

Answers

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! I’m not seeing anything like a cud in the first picture. Those are usually quite obvious. Maybe if you can point out the exact area you’re seeing? On the second, it looks like die deterioration doubling which would not have any premium.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just an ordinary circulated dime. No numismatic value or interest.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, Welcome aboard.
    As stated above, #1 is not a cud and #2 is aworn die doubling like the 1955 poor man's double die.
    Keep up with your searches.
    Wayne :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. Nothing stands out on the coins that I can see. To really tell for sure, one needs sharp closeup photos. Keep looking... the good ones are out there.

----- kj
  • Options
    HardwoodnhammrHardwoodnhammr Posts: 10
    edited March 17, 2021 1:10PM

Took a minute but here is some better photos. I can feel the bump with my nail.

• Options

Would a die chip have any value? I imagine it probably common.

• Options

Thank you

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hardwoodnhammr said:
    Would a die chip have any value? I imagine it probably common.

Generally speaking, no. But many find them interesting.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die chips are not that unusual and few collectors have any real interest in them. Minor "errors" have been heavily promoted on the internet and have made many new collectors think they have something of value when all they have is an ordinary coin with a defect no one pays a premium to get.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file