Home U.S. Coin Forum

1855-D Gold Dollar

kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Viewed this today for a friend, been in his family for many years, what's everyone's opinions on grade etc..? Definately a rare piece of gold- well in my opinion and from what I have been reading

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF45? Cool piece!

• liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly a very rare coin! If authentic, I would grade VF/XF harshly cleaned. Really tough to tell from those photos.
    Here are two that I have owned, both net graded.

liefgold
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rare coin. Better pics needed.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

From those pics...AU Details Harshly Cleaned.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a very rare one if authentic. It certainly has planchet problems and weak strike which are the norm for this one. The total population estimate is 60-80 for all circulated pieces.

I can’t tell in the picture if there are clash marks. If so, with the obvious weaknesses, I’d lean towards authentic.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great date, but it looks cleaned. Still should be certified.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, I hope it turns out to be real, I’ve heard that this design of coin is heavily counterfeited. The weak first 8 in the date seems to match the other examples that people posted, which is a good sign

Mr_Spud

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic coin even if it is cleaned its great to see these out in the wild.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks authentic. I can't tell if it has been cleaned or not based the pics provided. The parallel lines near the mintmark looks like a fingerprint. If should be submitted for grading, authentication, and slabbing. Please share the results if it's sent in.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2021 4:32PM

That coin is o.k. and rare. The only gold dollar that I have is common and EXTREMELY polished. I bought it long, long ago and thought it was great because it was SO SHINY! The dealer must have thought I was really dumb. I was. And most likely stone drunk. Thank God for this forum. Live and learn.

• kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

I wished I had a better camera and the lighting could be better- but thats best I could get for pictures - other results were worse. Going to have a trusted more experienced northeast dealer look at it this weekend- and then we will see what he (owner) decides to do with it. It belongs to an older retired gentleman, and he has no need to rush sell it or anything like that. Just planning for his childrens future inheritance. I was glad to just handle and look at such a coin. So often I have people bring or tell me about rare coins in their family and I have to be the (coin collector for over 40 years) one to dissapoint them- this time looks like I did not. I have the feeling it will be submitted in near future- most likely to PCGS. It does have signs of the clashing on both sides, just hard to photograph with my phone. I rescued it from years of being stapled into an old manilla envelope- and gentlly placed it into a vinyl 2x2- so I believe the fingerprints must have been on the coin when I opened it up. Thanks everyone for the opinions and advice will pass along to the friend the info that most likely he has a genuine rarity!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin appears to be authentic, and certainly worth submitting. Please let us know what the outcome is when graded. Cheers, RickO

• kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Tried pictures with my phone again, not sure if much better than first set:

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should strongly suggest to your friend to get it slabbed to protect the coin and to make it easier for his heirs to sell it. Make sure he knows to not clean it or otherwise mess with it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Looks better than I thought from the first pics. Maybe AU 50, but still cannot tell on the cleaning. I hope that black mark above the ear is not a scratch?

liefgold
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good advice here, definitely get it certified.

Rare coin.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the piece in my collection. It's PCGS graded EF-45. When you look at the luster, I think that it is 5 points better. With a mintage of 1,811, The estimated number of survivors is said to be 80 to 85.

Angle shots

The OP coin is a piece that needs to be certified even if it comes back in a net grade holder.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to your friend! Super tough $1 with low mintage and survivability... I would definitely recommend getting it slabbed. If nothing else, having it in an Authentic holder and away from potential drops and cleanings is a good thing...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

I remember that coin of yours Bill. It is exceptional, a full date and really well struck. The OP coin is the more common weak date.

liefgold
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@liefgold said:
    I remember that coin of yours Bill. It is exceptional, a full date and really well struck. The OP coin is the more common weak date.

All of the mints seem to have had trouble with the date, especially the 8. Bill’s is especially nice for any 1855.
    Here is my latest P 1855.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones that 1855D example is superb. Finding one essentially fully struck puts it in the top tier of the series. Regardless of grade, it would be more valuable than the typical weakly struck one several grades higher, IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file