Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

The same

Mr_Spud

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think it is worth more just for the history and uniqueness behind it. I can easily see why others though, would disagree.

peacockcoins

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm. Good question.

In my humble opinion (that has no real bearing), given the rarity and the provenance, and the way it is marked, I would say definitely not less.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 10:07AM

Damn, she's purdy.....more.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was really him who etched it then I would say more. But, IMO, a bit less. I guess I consider it graffiti if it isn’t authenticated to be him. Maybe acceptable if it was Homer who etched it.

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

I skimmed thru the information provided. One sentence that I noted was: "It is impossible to say for certain exactly when the initials were placed on the edge, but Augusta might have thought it prudent to identify the coin before loaning it to the ANS, in case it was mixed up with other specimens."

Similarly, wouldn't it also be impossible to say for certain that the initials were placed on the edge by Saint Gaudens himself?

Because of this uncertainty, my answer to your question is same.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this came from the Saint-Gaudens estate, I will say it is worth ALOT more.
    In exonumia, there are examples of medals marked on the edge by John Bolen himself. To me that is akin to an "autographed copy."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @MFeld

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

my sense is it's more specific because not all collectors would tolerate it, so it should reduce demand and be worth less than an otherwise identical coin

it's tempting to think that the collectors who like it would drive up the price and make it more valuable, but at least in other assets, specificity usually diminishes value

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing coin. For me the engraved letters don't detract, and add to the provenance and character. If I had the kind of $$ that it would take to be a bidder, I would not hold back.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:
    my sense is it's more specific because not all collectors would tolerate it, so it should reduce demand and be worth less than an otherwise identical coin

it's tempting to think that the collectors who like it would drive up the price and make it more valuable, but at least in other assets, specificity usually diminishes value

I think that in other collectible fields, specificity/provenance of the type being discussed here, is far more likely to increase, rather then decrease the value.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does seem that it should increase value. Even if the initials diminish the number of potential bidders, they should increase the motivation of those who remain.

Higashiyama
  • tcollectstcollects Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@tcollects said:

I think that in other collectible fields, specificity/provenance of the type being discussed here, is far more likely to increase, rather then decrease the value.

I retract everything I wrote and agree with Feld

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably more. Gorgeous coin!

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

More, no question.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 11:29AM

@Broadstruck said:
    PMD... Post Mint Damage & should be in a PCGS Detail holder for Graffiti ;):*>:)

I'm just glad they didn't put the PMD initials on it!

Imagine how unfortunate it would be for Peter Michael Davis?

• NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is about the same but think it should be worth somewhat less.

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely worth more to me.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since when does graffiti increase the value of any rare coin? There's no proof as to who added this graffiti.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

edited February 27, 2021 11:42AM

@Goldbully said:

Should PCGS update this to say "Augusta St. Gaudens"?

For example, the Dexter Dollar slab insert doesn't say "D Punched on Reverse" ;)

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone point out the counterstamped D for me? My eyes cannot locate it

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting piece... to the right collector (big caveat) that understands the provenance, the PMD probably isn't an issue and may actually enhance the value. For someone that doesn't care about provenance... it's PMD.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

In the video the surfaces look hairlined probably keeping it from 65 quality but in this case Pf 68 is of course an appraisal.

@DCW said:
    Can someone point out the counterstamped D for me? My eyes cannot locate it

Look in the cloud beneath the O in OF.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 3:22PM

How does one not care about the provenance to Augustus St Gaudens?

edited February 27, 2021 11:54AM

@fiftysevener said:
    In the video the surfaces look hairlined probably keeping it from 65 quality but in this case Pf 68 is of course an appraisal.

I’m confident that you saw die-polish lines, not hairlines.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Since when does graffiti increase the value of any rare coin? There's no proof as to who added this graffiti.

This is part of the reason for my last post, though it wouldn't make any difference to me even if there is proof. I don't care who owned a coin previously and don't consider St Gaudens famous either even if he did own it.

The reason I stated "same" is because at least it's not in a prominent area. being on the edge. As another example, the unique South Africa 1898 "Single 9" pond has the first owner's initials on the observe. It's graffiti but NGC presumably "net graded" it. My recollection is that the incident of adding the initials is confirmed but it doesn't change that it's still graffiti. I do agree though that the coin is still "market acceptable", even though most other coins would have "details" graded.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a strange one. It's interesting, no doubt, but who marked it and when was it marked? That mystery leaves me a little cold.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@TomB said:
    This is a strange one. It's interesting, no doubt, but who marked it and when was it marked? That mystery leaves me a little cold.

Mystery stops some people but not others.

• NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the same as the Dexter/ Dunham $ at all IMO.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@TomB said:

Mystery stops some people but not others.

As a scientist, mystery never stopped me. However, for significant discretionary funds on an object that I am likely only ever going to have an incomplete tale for is a different story.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Less...it's graffiti, damaged, details...if it was just about any other coin. IMO.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
    edited February 27, 2021 12:54PM

@WCC said:

@PerryHall said:

This is part of the reason for my last post, though it wouldn't make any difference to me even if there is proof. I don't care who owned a coin previously and don't consider St Gaudens famous either even if he did own it.

The reason I stated "same" is because at least it's not in a prominent area. being on the edge. As another example, the unique South Africa 1898 "Single 9" pond has the first owner's initials on the observe. It's graffiti but NGC presumably "net graded" it. My recollection is that the incident of adding the initials is confirmed but it doesn't change that it's still graffiti. I do agree though that the coin is still "market acceptable", even though most other coins would have "details" graded.

I can understand that you don’t care who owned the coin previously. But I’m baffled by your comment that you don’t consider Augustus St. Gaudens to be famous. This is a U.S. coins forum.

@oih82w8 said:
    Less...it's graffiti, damaged, details...if it was just about any other coin. IMO.

But it’s not just about any other coin.

edited February 27, 2021 12:59PM

@MFeld said:

@WCC said:

@PerryHall said:

I can understand that you don’t care who owned the coin previously. But I’m baffled by your comment that you don’t consider Augustus St. Gaudens to be famous. This is a U.S. coins forum.

It may all be relative. This is from WCC in another thread.

@WCC wrote:

The most historically significant coinage to me is the 66-70 CE First Jewish Revolt coinage.

• GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

The initials are strategically placed on the edge, so as not to be seen on either face, and they are relatively small so that they are not too noticeable on the edge either.

As such, if this piece is indeed traced back to the St. Gaudens estate, I don’t think it would have a negative impact to the value, regardless of who placed the initials there.

However, at the price point that we’re talking about here, I’m not sure whether it adds value or not. Do oddities like this add value at this price point? Good question!

edited February 27, 2021 1:43PM

For me, it's worth more as it is but it would be worth even more if it was on one of the faces.

I was looking at the slab photo and TrueView for a while wondering where the initials were!

• UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if you changed your name.

• FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Is the edge lettering visible in that type of holder?

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

The provenance adds to the value. The graffiti detracts IMHO. Will the latter overcome the former? I also do not think it should be in a PF68 holder with PMD even if it is limited to the edge. I also do not think the Dexter 1804 should be given a free pass because of rarity and provenance. Both are spectacular and important coins, but that should not be the basis for leniency in the grading room.

• cccoinscccoins Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

I would say about the same. In looking through the auction listings, there are only two PR68 of that exact style, and both trade in the millions. My experience is that the lower the base price of the coin, the higher premium the holder, provenance, etc. have, and the higher the value the less impact they have.

For example, I have seem multiple hundred dollar premiums for regency holders on cheap coins. I once had an 1870 cc $20 that came from a regency holder. I can’t imagine that anyone would have paid a premium for the holder on a six figure coin. While I like the story of the ASG, I don’t think that it impacts price, but it may impact demand at the price.

I should give CAC credit - this coin and the 1804 Dexter $1 have both very likely been to CAC and CAC has been consistent in not stickering either even though I have no doubt JA would make an offer if offered either coin.

@tradedollarnut said:

@cameonut2011 said:
    The provenance adds to the value. The graffiti detracts IMHO. Will the latter overcome the former? I also do not think it should be in a PF68 holder with PMD even if it is limited to the edge. I also do not think the Dexter 1804 should be given a free pass because of rarity and provenance. Both are spectacular and important coins, but that should not be the basis for leniency in the grading room.

The Dexter 1804 dollar is indeed net graded. It’s only 1.5 points overgraded instead of the normal 3!

If it were any other Novodel, would it have ended up in a straight graded holder?

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@cameonut2011 said:

The Dexter 1804 dollar is indeed net graded. It’s only 1.5 points overgraded instead of the normal 3!

If it were any other Novodel, would it have ended up in a straight graded holder?

Yes

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. I'd like to think if ASG marked his own coin that he would have done a better job. 2. Not too long ago there was a nice photoshop of the Dexter Dollar with 'TDN' in the clouds - I'm sure it's still floating around. :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file