Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Do you build your collection only with one grading company or it does not matter to you?

So far I have only purchased NGC graded coins.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll buy anything in whatever holder, but I generally cross it to PCGS. I just really dislike the NGC holder and how easily they scratch and smudge.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious any PCGS? Or they must have a white background?

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lean PCGS, but prefer to buy raw these days. If I buy an ANACS, I'll usually crack it. It's not worth any more in the holder.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll buy it anyway I can find it, graded or not. Most of my coins are now in NGC holders since they have graded more and I have never submitted to PCGS.

• Options
    EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I also buy whatever is available. I use generic boxes that hold any slab or 2.5 inch flip so I don't really mind having mismatched slabs alongside some raw coins. I think it would be too restrictive for me to only buy some slabs.

I do like some of the older holders more than newer ones though, for example the small style ANACS holders like the awesome collection @DNADave posted above!

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭

I have only bought PCGS. Especially if the coin has a True View, that someone else paid for. I like tracking my set in the Registry. I have tried to find 8 Reales in NGC holders that I like but I find most of the nicer ones in PCGS. It appears that lower graded NGC coins just stay there.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still like ‘em raw.....

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the things I actually collect, I use both services, but each set uses only a single TPG. It’s just a matter of aesthetics and a little bit of OCD.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

I prefer PCGS, but have no problem buying NGC for foreign.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

I buy the coin, not the slab. However, I have found that, with my collections, PCGS slabbed coins are a bit nicer than others. I hope to submit my best coins, either raw or in slabs other than our host's, to PCGS at some point in the future.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

I am not into registries so do not care much for the brand of plastic. NGC is the leader in world coins so a majority of mine are in NGC holders but I got a lot of very nice PCGS graded coins too. I won't go for cracking out and resubmitting since I can buy nicer coins with that money!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short answer... it is all about the coin and no matter what I write, I doubt this can be emphasized to match its importance.

Long answer... Grading is not as easy as it looks. Developing a trust in others to do it for you is even harder unless you are willing to concede certain aspects of collecting that one should only be reluctant to concede. Developing the expertise to make decisions as to what you like instead of relying on others to tell you what you should like is part of collecting and making your statement as to what matters as to condition rarity and quality for the grade is part of collecting. And maybe that is a difference that separates collectors from investors. And this is tough and not easy depending upon the pond or ocean you swim in in terms of your collecting objectives. I suppose my point is that one needs to be the captain of their own collecting ship... take the responsibility to develop your collecting objectives and the education required to meet what it is that you want to accomplish.

I have submitted to four grading services over the past 30 years. While I do not regret submitting to four, I may regret my decision to place some coins with one service over another but that seems to be Monday morning quarterbacking that goes with territory. Off hand, no single grading company has a monopoly on a series I collect. However, I have to admit that there is one TPG that is close on more than one.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2021 4:26PM

@koincollect said:
    NGC is the leader in world coins so a majority of mine are in NGC holders but I got a lot of very nice PCGS graded coins too.

I think this is debatable. NGC got into the world market in a big way earlier than PCGS did and that led to some good market share early on. I think a lot of good world coins are ending up in PCGS plastic at this point. In what way are they the leader?

"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally I prefer to collect my world and ancient coins raw, except for items like modern Proof pieces, which you should not handle. Otherwise I buy the coin, not the holder.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I prefer NGC they have graded more Mexican coins than PCGS. I live in Canada so it makes things expensive to send them in to NGC.

I guess I will have to buy some coins PCGS if that is the only example I can locate. I always use to prefer PCGS but now NGC has grown on me.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ancients raw

Medals, tokens and Federal may not all start off in PCGS holders but that's where they end up

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@neildrobertson said:

@koincollect said:
    NGC is the leader in world coins so a majority of mine are in NGC holders but I got a lot of very nice PCGS graded coins too.

I think this is debatable. NGC got into the world market in a big way earlier than PCGS did and that led to some good market share early on. I think a lot of good world coins are ending up in PCGS plastic at this point. In what way are they the leader?

NGC would be considered the leader by having graded far more world coins, from most countries and most series. However, if you are pointing out that their current market share may be a lot more equal, you might be correct, have no idea.

In my primary series, NGC has graded far more coins. Proportionately, the coins in PCGS holders are nicer, but this might be partly due to the volume.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost all of my 8 reales are certified by NGC. My broader world crown type collection is both PCGS and NGC as I can keep them all in a custom set ATS. I would agree that many of the high grade, nicely toned 8 reales are or have been crossed to PCGS. That makes sense to me because my impression of the PCGS only collectors, at least where 8 reales are concerned, is that you are mostly type collectors, with the exception of @TwoKopeiki, of course.

• Options

@WCC said:

NGC would be considered the leader by having graded far more world coins, from most countries and most series. However, if you are pointing out that their current market share may be a lot more equal, you might be correct, have no idea.

In my primary series, NGC has graded far more coins. Proportionately, the coins in PCGS holders are nicer, but this might be partly due to the volume.

It stands to reason that one service to excel more than the other for particular countries or series, so I'm nervous making any blanket statements.

For the German coins I collect, more nicer coins have been going to PCGS. The majority of freshly graded proof coins are going to PCGS, but the majority of those were going to NGC before. I think the preference swapped some time in the 2010-2013 timeframe. I'm under the impression (possibly false) that a lot of the stuff that goes to NGC is for resale.

• Options

I haven't looked at the PCGS pop report as much as NGC census, as the organization is not consistent. For South Africa, PCGS is better segmented. For Peru and Bolivian, they dump everything into one section where I have to either do lookups by coin or sort through the entire list. I look the at PCGS data occasionally since I have specific interest but not going to do that otherwise.

My recollection is that PCGS has more in countries like Canada and Australian decimal, but it's a distinct minority. I also don't believe there is much cross over activity generally even among (somewhat) more expensive coinage, as I am aware of no evidence to indicate that PCGS plastic brings any consistent premium as it does for US coinage. It's my observation that this is a distinct preference by many members here but not otherwise.

I agree with you that there is noticeable proportion of submissions to NGC for resale. It's an inference but overwhelmingly by US based dealers or collectors to sell on eBay. However, with the much lower price level versus US and increasing cost, there is less motivation to do that.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Primarily PCGS and NGC, occasionally the old, white ANACS.
    PMG only for paper though...

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2021 8:38PM

Almost all PCGS or NGC. A few coins in old white ANACS slabs and one in an ICG holder. More than happy with the ANACS and ICG grades.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't matter to me and I still like raw coins.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2021 10:37PM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    So far I have only purchased NGC graded coins.

Think I will do both NGC and PCGS more opportunities to pick up coins that have nicer eye appeal.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

I have ngc,pcgs, a few anacs and icg.

I buy what I like and when I sell one day, it doesn't matter if what I buy lost value or gained, I view this as a hobby.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.