Home U.S. Coin Forum

The 100 Greatest U.S. Coins

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 21, 2021 11:33AM in U.S. Coin Forum

There was recent thread asking why the 1804 Dollar and 1913 Liberty Head Nickel are not present in more great collections. These two coins were noted as being ranked #1 and #2 in the 100 Greatest U.S. Coins book by Jeff Garrett.

This got me to wonder how collectors and builders of great collections prioritize their collections and if the 100 Greatest US Coins list a goal of many of these.

Post anything about the 100 Greatest U.S. Coins in this thread :)

Here's the PCGS Registry Set showing set completion:

The all time top 5 is led by @DLHansen with 67% completion and ended by Brent Pogue with 20% completion. Looking at just current sets, after Hansen, Simpson comes in at 16% and Black Cat at 15%.

Here's the top graded, top ranked coin:

1804 Dollar - Class 1 Original - PCGS PR68 POP 1/0 - Ex. Virgil Michael Brand

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thing about that books is each edition had a slightly different set of coins in differing order. It’s also the opinion based on a couple dozen dealers. My top 100 greatest would probably look quite different.

In any case, I think I’ve only personally seen a few of what has been in the books. I’m not rich, still working, and I’m not located near major coin show spots.

For me, though, I’d rather try to photograph the top 100 rather than own them. Maybe one day I’ll get to take a picture of at least one.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer It's very interesting that Eliasberg had "Every U.S. Coin Ever Issued" but is only 59% complete on the Top 100 US Coins list, behind Hansen.

When looking at the list, it's clear that may items on the list are patterns and not regular issue coins, which may account for the absolutely low but relatively high completion rate.

@WAYNEAS said:
    This set drives me to visit the Smithsonian. A bucket list item.
    When and if things get back in order, I will spend time there admiring these great pieces.
    I will also visit the Aviation museum.

That's very interesting. I've been to the National Air and Space Museum many times, but never to visit the National Numismatic Collection. Thinking about it, I think many of the people I'm with of all ages can enjoy the Air & Space Museum but much fewer would enjoy the Numismatic Collection.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's somebody's list. I would not expect any collector to feel that all of them are required for their collection. You've got proof gold all over the list, for example. A collector who only cared about business strikes would eschew all of those. And you could say the same about the varieties.

And, while famous and desirable, you can easily argue that the 1913 Liberty nickel is "Mint shenanigans" or "somebody's shenanigans" and doesn't need to be included in a collection.

And putting the 1933 Double Eagle on that list really makes for more of a list of talking points than a collecting checklist.

edited February 21, 2021 9:45AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    It's somebody's list. I would not expect any collector to feel that all of them are required for their collection. You've got proof gold all over the list, for example. A collector who only cared about business strikes would eschew all of those. And you could say the same about the varieties.

Very true, which is why it's a good discussion to have.

And, while famous and desirable, you can easily argue that the 1913 Liberty nickel is "Mint shenanigans" or "somebody's shenanigans" and doesn't need to be included in a collection.

Agree that view does affect the desire of many collectors for this piece.

And putting the 1933 Double Eagle on that list really makes for more of a list of talking points than a collecting checklist.

I'd agree with you on say a Dansco or Whitman album, but at this level, I think unique to own coins are fair game. And is this really about a collecting checklist or just the 100 Greatest U.S Coins?

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never fully understood the criteria for what qualifies - Fugio Cent is included but Brasher Doubloon is not?

Also to me numbers 18-20 are quite a gauntlet -- 1792 Half Disme, 1838-O branch mint half dollar, 1794 Dollar. All have great historical significance and should move up the list.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

Very nice to have forum members Ron @BestGerman and Dell Loy @DLHansen participate in writing that book! And to have Bruce @tradedollarnut and Martin @cardinal ’s coin on the cover is quite the treat!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

planning on owning any more of those books?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021 10:36AM

Everyone is watching the rare coins published above. I have zero interest in any of those coins.

I buy coin unknown to barely know rare coins while no one is watching B)

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Everyone is watching the rare coins published above. I have zero interest in any of those coins.

This one is for you courtesy of @FredWeinberg :)

edited February 21, 2021 11:07AM

Coins that I would love to have on the 100 Greatest List include:

(5) 1907 UHR Double Eagle
    (9) 1822 Quarter Eagle
    (13) 1849 Half Union
    (26) Pan Pac Octagonal Slug
    (35) US Assay Office Territorial Slug
    (54) 1848 "CAL" Quarter Eagle

Not Listed: Brasher Doubloon

To answer a question from another thread, if I was building a collection with these kinds of coins, the 1804 Dollar and 1913 Liberty Nickel could eventually be there but mostly because they are famous. My personal inclination would be to other coins which is just personal preference, something that comes into play a lot at high levels of discretionary activities. For example, I would be a strong bidder for the Brand-Eliasberg 1822 Quarter Eagle, if I had the budget.

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

LOL, actually none of those coins are on my watchlist :o

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

You and Fred need to talk ;)

edited February 21, 2021 11:05AM

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

You and Fred need to talk ;)

My point is, people are watching those coins. Those coins are fully priced.

I choose to buy coins that no one is watching.

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I moved to Colorado in 1993 one of the very first things I did was visit the ANA Money Museum...a total life changer, and complete mind melter. I highly recommend no coin or history lover ever skip it when passing through Colorado!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

edited February 21, 2021 11:10AM

@Kurisu said:
    When I moved to Colorado in 1993 one of the very first things I did was visit the ANA Money Museum...a total life changer, and complete mind melter. I highly recommend no coin or history lover ever skip it when passing through Colorado!

Which of the Top 100 Greatest US coins did you see there?

It would be great to know what to look for!

edited February 21, 2021 11:42AM

Here's the top graded Eliasberg 1913 Liberty Nickel. This has a great provenance, being owned by forum members Bruce and Dwight.

Regarding the Hansen-Eliasberg Challenge, to exceed Eliasberg, I do think it would be nice for Hansen to have the coins on this page so far :)

1. Brand 1804 Class 1 Dollar
    2. Eliasberg 1913 Liberty Nickel
    3. Brand-Eliasberg 1822 Quarter Eagle
  • KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Kurisu said:

Which of the Top 100 Greatest US coins did you see there?

It would be great to know what to look for!

Oh man...I'm going to have to dig through the list and my brain from 28ish years ago :neutral:
    All I can tell you at the moment is that the Harry W Bass Jr Gallery changed me. I didn't walk out as the same person lol!!!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

I'd feel extremely lucky to own just one of 'em. That's not really a goal of mine though, due to the price of the acquisition. The coins are definitely fascinating and beautiful. I'll check out the DL Hansen collection shortly. Thanks for that link, Z!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the 3rd edition of this book which was published in 2008. I was just starting my collection which was going to be in early quarter eagles. It definitely influenced me in terms of what coins were the most desirable. I can now say that i have 3 of the 100 greatest coins according to the 3rd edition of the book. I have a 1796 no stars, 1804 13 stars and 1808 quarter eagle.
    The book is cool and owning any of the top 100 is even cooler.

• gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@earlyAurum said:
    I bought the 3rd edition of this book which was published in 2008. I was just starting my collection which was going to be in early quarter eagles. It definitely influenced me in terms of what coins were the most desirable. I can now say that i have 3 of the 100 greatest coins according to the 3rd edition of the book. I have a 1796 no stars, 1804 13 stars and 1808 quarter eagle.

Great coins. I still need those. BTW a 1796 with stars is available at the next Legend sale. I am sure you know but the stars variety is much rarer than the no stars. Good luck with the quarter eagles.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I like Google ... I love reading these books.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to get a much bigger stimulus check in the mail to consider even ever owning one of these.

The Top 100 Modern coins need to be revisited also, as apparently these do as well.

I think lists of top 100 of anything, should be updated based on current collectors opinions, every several years or so.

• earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:

@earlyAurum said:

Great coins. I still need those. BTW a 1796 with stars is available at the next Legend sale. I am sure you know but the stars variety is much rarer than the no stars. Good luck with the quarter eagles.

I have a 1796 with stars also. It's a long road. Been 12 years. I hope to complete the set in the next few years. Thanks!

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Coins that I would love to have on the 100 Greatest List include:

(5) 1907 UHR Double Eagle
    (9) 1822 Quarter Eagle
    (13) 1849 Half Union
    (26) Pan Pac Octagonal Slug
    (35) US Assay Office Territorial Slug
    (54) 1848 "CAL" Quarter Eagle

Not Listed: Brasher Doubloon

I have an older (1st I believe) edition of the book but don't remember if it has the Fugio cent. (It is in storage.)

My recollection was that it only included coins struck by the US Mint in it's definition of "US coins". If it's more that, then there are plenty of Territorials and colonials that I believe are "greater" as replacements, especially for what I would describe as relatively obscure Red Book die varieties.

From Territorial, at minimum the Garret $50 proof slug and the 1850 Baldwin & Company Horseman $10.

From colonial, Brasher Doubloon, half doubloon, one or more of the NE coins, one or more of the Somer Islands, 1792 silver Washington half Getz pattern, Columbia Immune gold and maybe silver Continental Currency dollar. I'd consider all of these "greater" than many of the coins in the book I own.

I'd also toss in the 1861 CSA half dollar.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:

I totally agree!

When I visited in '08 I saw the 1804 Capped Bust Dollar and then I saw it again at the '09 Money Show in Portland where it was on displayed as was the 1913 Liberty Head nickel.
    Pretty cool seeing #1 and #2.

I also geeked out over the Petition Crown on display in Colorado Springs when I was there.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021 11:12PM

@gschwernk said:
    I like collecting trophy coins as a side collection. My goal is too obtain 33 of the 100. I use the second edition as a reference since it is the one in the registry. Since I don't have the resources to equal Hanson and the other collectors a the very top end, I am force to pick examples below condition census and I will never own the very expensive > 1 million coins. I currently own 21. I have a good chance to exceed 30 and maybe even reach the 33 someday.

That is impressive. When I realized some of my coins were in the 100 Greatest U.S. Coins book I acquired a copy and have added a few subsequent editions.

On prior threads I have referenced editions of the book with regard to positioning of the $20 Paquet Reverse as its reporting in the book was both instructive and helpful. The added information provided about each of these special coins is significant, at least for me, apart from just the rankings.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12611505#Comment_12611505

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The book(s) certainly cover coins of interest, historically as well as in design. I am not building a set, but since I have the book (one edition), I can enjoy the great pictures and accompanying descriptions. That works for me... ;) So many hobbies, not only money, but time must be managed to address them all... :D Cheers, RickO

• boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eliasberg should have the number one set at 72% completion. By my count there are 13 coins that Eliasberg had in his collection but they aren't listed in his registry set......... Hansen at 67% is still pretty remarkable given the collecting time frame.....

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I like how they rotate great rarities on the cover of the book. I own examples of 1,2 and 3 in this photo"

TDN, do you still own a 1913? I thought you sold both that you did own. I know where the Eliasberg coin is but not the other 2.

I own a book about your 1804 and a couple puzzles of the 1794. May be as close as I get.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • LegacyLegacy Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I own a copy of the 5th edition. The descriptions and the imaging are outstanding. I like that the 1955 Lincoln Cent Obverse Doubled Die is included. It is not in the 2nd edition which is what the PCGS Registry Set is based on. (One of the few that I could afford)

@Legacy said:
    I own a copy of the 5th edition. The descriptions and the imaging are outstanding. I like that the 1955 Lincoln Cent Obverse Doubled Die is included. It is not in the 2nd edition which is what the PCGS Registry Set is based on. (One of the few that I could afford)

I agree the 1955 DDO should be one of the Top 100 Greatest US coins.

edited February 28, 2021 7:54AM

Here are the top 20 from the Set Registry.

What do you think of the list and what would you change?

Given that the 1822 Half Eagle is unique, I'd be inclined to bump it up a few levels.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never bought any coin because it was listed in that book. I do have example of a number of coins that are in it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

It is interesting to look through these lists. I remember the first time I saw a 1933 Saint. It was an exhibit at a coin show. In the same exhibit was an UHR Saint. The UHR blew away the 1933. I have never looked at Saints the same way after seeing the Ultra High Relief coins.

The 1849 was also in there, that was a beautiful coin. Wonder where the other one went.

Not sure you could create a criteria for really ordering these.

(and the 1822 $5 is not unique, but the 1870-S Half Dime is)

Interesting that that blog lists an 1933 $10 or $20. ("or" being the key word)

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 12:11PM

The list could be subtitled "Memorable Red Book Coins" -
    we remember the photos and stories from the book as kids and wanted to have them some day, if possible.
    To me, the "best" of these are the ones with good stories; not just a list by rarity or first/last of designs made for many years.

So I would drop out:
    1849 $20
    1822 $5
    1943 Bronze 1c
    1909-S VDB 1c
    1876-CC 20c
    1907 Piedfort $20
    1794 $1
    1885 Trade $1
    1877 $50

I would add in:
    1787 Fugio 1c
    1793 1/2c
    1793 Strawberry Leaf 1c
    1856 Flying Eagle 1c
    1864 Small Motto 2c
    1916/1916 5c
    1836 Gobrecht $1
    1848 CAL. $2.50
    1879 or 1880 Stella $4

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few coins that are on the list.

edited March 1, 2021 6:37PM

Here's my Number 32: 1787 Fugio Cent. I should pick up a few more Pogue pieces ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file