Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best Coin Investment to make

Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited February 6, 2021 7:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have some thoughts about the best coins to buy and HOLD for a long time to make a decent return on your money.

Ms63-64 common date graded Morgan dollars:
If you can buy these for around $50 that is a great price. You have people who love the design and like uncirculated examples of these coins. They also contain silver so if silver prices went to the moon 🚀 then you could make a killing. You really can’t go wrong with uncirculated examples of Morgan dollars. It’s almost impossible to lose unless you pay too much to begin with.

US-Philippines pesos:
These are an amazing investment if you can buy mint state graded examples of the pesos from 1903-1912. The beginning of this series is the same size of the Morgan dollar and 90% silver. These are highly sought after and extremely rare compared to Morgan dollars. Some of the gem proofs US-Philippines proofs a few years ago were around $2000 now are $8000+. I have some ms61 examples of these coins that I will always hold. Philippines is one of the fastest growing countries and they have an extreme interest in coins. As the wealth grows, the value of their coins will go up. There are many philippines Facebook groups with tens of thousands of users that love these coins.

Chinese silver panda 1983, 1984, 1985
These three years are limited to 10,000 mintages and not all of those survived.everyone loves the panda and China is a growing nation. An 800 dollar coin now should be worth thousands in the years to come in my opinion.

What coins are you buying and holding for the long term?

«134

Comments

  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I just cherry pick for variety, color, or grade.

    Limits the downside.

    World is my oyster.

    BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I once thought the same as the OP.

    Realized if you are going to play silver then do it with junk, rounds, bars etc...

    Common slabbed MS63's and such are only good for picking unattributed VAMs.

    BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I know everyone loves it when I do math. But, since the OP mentioned "decent return" after a "hold".

    If you bought an MS63 Morgan $ today for $40 and held it for 20 years, it would have to be worth $106 to get a 5 percent return.

    Now, I know, that might seem achievable but lets work backwords. If that MS63 Morgan is worth $40 today and you've been holding it for 20 years, you had to buy it for $15 in 2001 to have achieved a "decent return".

  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I always figure any coin I buy is a poor investment long term compared to more traditional investments. I do think they are a store of some value but who knows? The best course, IMO, is to be prudent about how much you spend and try to spend wisely. Then you enjoy what you bought.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Best Coin Investment to make: Knowledge

    Know exactly what you are buying and why.

    The "why" is easy: I can't help myself.

  • mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2021 11:52AM

    High grade US type certified by PCGS or NGC, preferably with a CAC designation is what I believe is most likely to appreciate in value or at the very least you will be able to at least break even if you decide to sell in a few years. CC Morgans and CAC Gold

    Edit to add: I sold about 3/4 of my collection last year leaving me with just the high grade type coins I listed above. A lot of the common stuff is just moving very well right now. Buying quality is the best way to ensure appreciation or little depreciation

  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Best Coin Investment to make: Knowledge

    Know exactly what you are buying and why.

    The "why" is easy: I can't help myself.

    That is the collector in you.

    I used to think that way. I changed my thinking.

    Put on your dealer hat.

  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2021 1:27PM

    Us coins based on their performance last 25-30 years not a good investment, especially these bad times. Unless below CDN bid not usually a buyer unless really PQ coin feel can move quickly. I will pay a little more for really nice PQ stuff good potential sell in the green quickly.

    One canary in mine for me is 1936 Long Island 50c in MS64. I recall buying a really nice one at the Camden NJ show for $100 (CDN bid was $90) about 25 years ago. Today CDN bid for it is $85. So much for RCI and can cite many more examples.

    Mainly I have been focusing on low pop graded world coins and banknotes especially Mexico. These going for absurdly low prices vs US.

    A guy recently offered me a stickered 1937-D Oregon in MS 66 at $495 about double CDN bid really nice for the grade. I countered at $270 - CDN is (220 non CAC / 245 Cac) he passed said that was too low. I laughed - “what is bid going up 10% a week? I don’t think so.” Don’t get buried in overpriced expensive US coins. You will be the end user and lose money.

    If investing in coins you will need churn your inventory. Coins don’t pay interest or dividends. Basically nowadays a sch c write off. Just sitting there holding it is not recommended. 95% collectors lose money. Many players like deer in the headlights in selling never setup at a show seeing long parade of looky looks (looking but not buying) parading past their table - signifies people coming in bourse room broke. They don’t have anything sell you either....

    Picked up in November from wholesaler a really nice PCGS65 1911-D $20 (non CAC) really lustrous PQ Blazer nice clean surfaces no spots for $2500 sold it recently to client in private transaction for $2900 (CPG $2960). So nice stuff does move.

    1. Develop a plan Inventory quantity / value amount. Your investment should be an amount you won’t touch for anything but the business.
    2. Figure out the variable and fixed costs of the business. An income statement in excel / sch c foremat recommended. Develop a markup equation to cover your costs plus a reasonable commission for you.

    3. Keep your inventory level at plan. Don’t buy if material not moving / can’t buy it right.

    4. Keep your inventory in safe place. The bottom floor of the stilt house (in Vinewood Hills) in GTAO has a man cave / office (vault) on the bottom (3rd floor) which is entirely below ground. Plenty of room for safes, gun locker, desks & computer equipment. The first floor is above ground and front door faces street. Second floor a large master bedroom partially below ground. Top 2 floors have fantastic view of Los Santos (Los Angeles). Comes w 10 car garage. Mine has a pool w deck super view of the city.

    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Cougar said: "If investing in coins you will need churn your inventory. At worst a sch c write off. Just sitting there holding it is not recommended."

    While I don't disagree with many of the posts above regarding the past history and prognosis for the future, there's a distinction between dealers and collectors. My interpretation of the OP is he was asking what market segment should collectors buy and hold to increase their chance of investment success ( @Panda4456 - please correct me if i'm wrong). Churning inventory is the right move for dealers, but not for collectors. I agree in many cases I'm wrong, but for those segments that might appreciate going forward, buy and hold is the more cost efficient strategy - NOT churning!

    Separately, if I'm being picky, collectors don't file a Schedule C, dealers do. If a collector is reporting profits, they report that on a Schedule D, not C.

    A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

    My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2021 12:29PM

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Best Coin Investment to make: Knowledge

    Know exactly what you are buying and why.

    The "why" is easy: I can't help myself.

    That is the collector in you.

    I used to think that way. I changed my thinking.

    Put on your dealer hat.

    This is my best advice after 20+ years of buying and selling various collectibles as a hobby.

    There is a saying... "you make your money when you buy..."

    Also, look at attending ANA grading courses and build knowledge.

    Second, build a network of trusted dealers.

    Thirdly, buy CAC

    BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @OldEastside said:
    My Advice is to invest in coins that will go up in value in the shortest amount of time :smiley:

    Steve

    <3

  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would rather have the cash in hand long term than any of your suggestions.

    I don't even take any of those things in trade unless I have a wholesaler lined up to instantly pass them onto.

    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Best Coin Investment to make: Knowledge

    Know exactly what you are buying and why.

    The "why" is easy: I can't help myself.

    That is the collector in you.

    I used to think that way. I changed my thinking.

    Put on your dealer hat.

    The dealer hat doesn't hold, so it is easy. I buy what I can sell for a profit right now. I don't care if it's ugly or damaged or broken. If it sells, it sells.

  • privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just save your copper cents. 2x face value now.

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:

    @OldEastside said:
    My Advice is to invest in coins that will go up in value in the shortest amount of time :smiley:

    Steve

    Can you be more specific? A list would help. ;)

    Well No............But.....It's kinda like the Lottery............you need to pick the numbers that they call to win :wink:

    Steve

    Promote the Hobby
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Best Coin Investment to make: Knowledge

    Know exactly what you are buying and why.

    The "why" is easy: I can't help myself.

    That is the collector in you.

    I used to think that way. I changed my thinking.

    Put on your dealer hat.

    The dealer hat doesn't hold, so it is easy. I buy what I can sell for a profit right now. I don't care if it's ugly or damaged or broken. If it sells, it sells.

    Thing is, I do care what I sell <3

  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The best way to make money is get lucky enough to buy the new hot mint product and flip it immediately. Then you can buy coins you like using house money and future worth doesn’t really matter too much.

    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Best Coin Investment to make: Knowledge

    Know exactly what you are buying and why.

    The "why" is easy: I can't help myself.

    That is the collector in you.

    I used to think that way. I changed my thinking.

    Put on your dealer hat.

    The dealer hat doesn't hold, so it is easy. I buy what I can sell for a profit right now. I don't care if it's ugly or damaged or broken. If it sells, it sells.

    Thing is, I do care what I sell <3

    You are in a niche with higher margins than most U.S. coins. I'm happy for you and it works for you. But you are not representative of 95% of dealers. Most dealers I know spend the majority of their time buying broken jewelry and 90% silver.

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The dealer hat doesn't hold, so it is easy. I buy what I can sell for a profit right now. I don't care if it's ugly or damaged or broken. If it sells, it sells.

    What are you buying that you can sell for a profit right now ?

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2021 2:33PM

    I buy less common dates and try to find eye appealing coins with a story. I worry less and less about making money and my goal now is to try not to lose money. I have no interest in tying up my hobby funds on common date TPG Morgan’s. It would be nice for my collection to have a decent return when I’m ready to sell way off in the future. I think many long term collectors stumble into marginal to decent returns because they are collectors first and have knowledge about what is scarce and uncommon.

  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If you are paying retail then you can forget about it being an investment. Think like a dealer and buy like a dealer.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2021 2:43PM

    I would study Alan Weinberg and Fred Weinberg.

    One a major collector and the other a major dealer.

    One bought amazing stuff to hold long term and succeeded.

    The other traveled the world buying gold, errors, etc to sell... and succeeded.

    Most of their stuff wasn't on graysheet.

    What is not on graysheet?

    Figure that out, buy what you love, become the expert, and in a decade you will be the GTG.

    BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @yspsales said:
    Common slabbed MS63's and such are only good for picking unattributed VAMs.

    Unfortunately, when you go to sell, you find that none of the people who are picking unattributed VAMs want to pay for attributed ones.

  • chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @291fifth said:
    If you are paying retail then you can forget about it being an investment. Think like a dealer and buy like a dealer.

    You might end up with a bunch of junk like a dealer too.

  • CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Best Coin Investment to make: Knowledge

    Know exactly what you are buying and why.

    The "why" is easy: I can't help myself.

    That is the collector in you.

    I used to think that way. I changed my thinking.

    Put on your dealer hat.

    The dealer hat doesn't hold, so it is easy. I buy what I can sell for a profit right now. I don't care if it's ugly or damaged or broken. If it sells, it sells.

    Thing is, I do care what I sell <3

    You are in a niche with higher margins than most U.S. coins. I'm happy for you and it works for you. But you are not representative of 95% of dealers. Most dealers I know spend the majority of their time buying broken jewelry and 90% silver.

    I don’t know if niche markets have higher margin be default or it is required due to fewer covers/transaction. Either way that isn’t his fault. Many dealers move metals because a it helps keep the lights on and it off sets their risk of buying expensive coins to sell to collectors while in competition with the collectors to acquire the coins in the first place.

    Then again many dealers have streams of income not tied to coins.

  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2021 5:16PM

    I figured I'd pick up some low grade platinum since the price seems pretty good right now.


    MS67

  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:

    @yspsales said:
    Common slabbed MS63's and such are only good for picking unattributed VAMs.

    Unfortunately, when you go to sell, you find that none of the people who are picking unattributed VAMs want to pay for attributed ones.

    Yes... I was meaning major $$$ VAMs.

    Some obscure ones, but they are a few out there.

    BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Crypto said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Best Coin Investment to make: Knowledge

    Know exactly what you are buying and why.

    The "why" is easy: I can't help myself.

    That is the collector in you.

    I used to think that way. I changed my thinking.

    Put on your dealer hat.

    The dealer hat doesn't hold, so it is easy. I buy what I can sell for a profit right now. I don't care if it's ugly or damaged or broken. If it sells, it sells.

    Thing is, I do care what I sell <3

    You are in a niche with higher margins than most U.S. coins. I'm happy for you and it works for you. But you are not representative of 95% of dealers. Most dealers I know spend the majority of their time buying broken jewelry and 90% silver.

    I don’t know if niche markets have higher margin be default or it is required due to fewer covers/transaction. Either way that isn’t his fault. Many dealers move metals because a it helps keep the lights on and it off sets their risk of buying expensive coins to sell to collectors while in competition with the collectors to acquire the coins in the first place.

    Then again many dealers have streams of income not tied to coins.

    I wasn't blaming him for it. But his experience is not representative of most U.S. coin dealers that I know.

    And the fact that many dealers have other revenue streams kind of proves my point.

  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @yspsales said:
    Yes... I was meaning major $$$ VAMs.

    Some obscure ones, but they are a few out there.

    In that case, one should be looking at raw coins, not slabbed ones which have obviously been more closely scrutinized.

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @291fifth said:
    If you are paying retail then you can forget about it being an investment. Think like a dealer and buy like a dealer.

    Not necessarily true

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:
    A lot of the people on this board have this impression that most collections are organized premium material in slabs. The majority of estate collections are still 100% raw even 35 years into the slabbing era.

    This being the PCGS message board, I think the posters here are skewed towards slabbed coin collectors and in reality, are not typical of the average coin collector. The coin club I used to belong to had a show-and-tell portion of each meeting where everybody brought something from their collection to talk about and pass around. Slabbed coins were rarely seen.

  • Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Popular issue/variety + PCGS + CAC + attractive surfaces/color

    BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @chesterb said:

    @291fifth said:
    If you are paying retail then you can forget about it being an investment. Think like a dealer and buy like a dealer.

    You might end up with a bunch of junk like a dealer too.

    Successful dealers don't end up with a bunch of junk because they don't buy junk. A successful dealer knows the market and he knows how to "read" potential buyers and sellers.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

    By far W quarters, huge profits...

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @291fifth said:

    @chesterb said:

    @291fifth said:
    If you are paying retail then you can forget about it being an investment. Think like a dealer and buy like a dealer.

    You might end up with a bunch of junk like a dealer too.

    Successful dealers don't end up with a bunch of junk because they don't buy junk. A successful dealer knows the market and he knows how to "read" potential buyers and sellers.

    I don't know too many dealers other than the very high end ones who don't have a room full of junk. I knew one guy who had a BARN full of junk. If you are buying estates, you pretty quickly start accumulating junk.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file