Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1822 Half Eagle coming soon

GoBustGoBust Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 5, 2021 11:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Stacks Bowers just announced 1822 Half Eagle will be auctioned on March 25, 2021 in Las Vegas. Hard to state how important this phenominal rarity is within the universe of American gold coins. Who is up for a bid?

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's only one in private hands. The other two are in the Smithsonian Institute.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    There's only one in private hands. The other two are in the Smithsonian Institute.

Where probably no one can see them, unless you are a 12 year old intern.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Well those a great photos from the Smithsonian!

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

Yawn

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bid. And lose. But I'll always be able to say I was an underbidder.
    Lance.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love coins like this!!

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    I'll bid. And lose. But I'll always be able to say I was an underbidder.
    Lance.

What if you bid... and accidentally win? 😎

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly one of the great rarities.... Maybe I will find one at a yard sale.... :D Well, it could happen. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2021 7:35AM

I remember seeing it at the numismatic room at the Smith Museum of American History. They had some rarities, and about 20 coins displayed. Given the size of their collection, underwhelming but at least one got to seem some famous coins. But not very educational for the non-numismatist. Even their new and expanded display is way short.....

HST, price predictions? Is the Pogue 22 going to break the record? $12 million? Less? More?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Panda4456 said:
    Yawn

If the subject bores you, why did you post? Edited to add: It added nothing and was quite rude.

I was just trolling. It’s a nice coin but most of us won’t be able to come near the coins because we don’t have the funds lol

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    I love coins like this!!

B)o:)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2021 7:47AM

@BillJones said:

@PerryHall said:

Where probably no one can see them, unless you are a 12 year old intern.

Viewing of the Smithsonian collection have been mentioned here. Here are some threads:

• Options

It will be interesting to see if anyone new and unknown gets involved here. With Dell Loy almost certainly having strong interest, and tradedollarnut and privaterarecoincollector expressing no interest at the moment. Who might be the other competitors in that realm? The only one in private hands, the once every 50 years or so opportunity. I'm assuming Mr. Simpson likely not a player, given his decision to pass on some of his treasure chest to others. But this is another key historical numismatic moment. We really are spoiled over the last five years. Newman, Gardner, Pogue, and Simpson events to name a few. It's been a massive changing of the guard. Was the only other era like this the period of Eliasberg, Garret and Norweb sales? At least in our lifetime. Of course, somehow in each of these collecting eras these famous and fabulous coins find a new caretaker. It really appears the market is deep, and much stronger than some imagine. The new wave of pinnacle collectors led by the current generation chomping at the bit for opportunities not seen in 20 to 50 years! Let's toast the moment, I really don't think this will occur for another 20 years.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2021 9:10AM

@GoBust said:
    It will be interesting to see if anyone new and unknown gets involved here. With Dell Loy almost certainly having strong interest, and tradedollarnut and privaterarecoincollector expressing no interest at the moment. Who might be the other competitors in that realm? The only one in private hands, the once every 50 years or so opportunity. I'm assuming Mr. Simpson likely not a player, given his decision to pass on some of his treasure chest to others. But this is another key historical numismatic moment. We really are spoiled over the last five years. Newman, Gardner, Pogue, and Simpson events to name a few. It's been a massive changing of the guard. Was the only other era like this the period of Eliasberg, Garret and Norweb sales? At least in our lifetime. Of course, somehow in each of these collecting eras these famous and fabulous coins find a new caretaker. It really appears the market is deep, and much stronger than some imagine. The new wave of pinnacle collectors led by the current generation chomping at the bit for opportunities not seen in 20 to 50 years! Let's toast the moment, I really don't think this will occur for another 20 years.

Agree, though I haven't seen the next generation of major collectors yet. I wonder if any our out there collecting in private.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoBust said:

Tyrant

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2021 4:05AM

6 days out from live bidding, and internet bidding has it up to $3 million so far.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-Q4SHM/1822-capped-head-left-half-eagle-bd-1-rarity-8-au-50-pcgs

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭

Should be fun to watch. maybe another trip to the smithsonian.

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I've seen the one in the Smithsonian and other rarities when I was stationed in D. C. 1977-79.

• Options

@DoubleDime said:
    I've seen the one in the Smithsonian and other rarities when I was stationed in D. C. 1977-79.

I think I saw it when I was there in the mid-70's, too. I think also an 1804 $1 and a 1913 Liberty nickel. If the Smithsonian doesn't possess either of these, then my memory is playing tricks on me. :)

• Options

4 days out from live bidding, and internet bidding has it up to $3.4 million so far.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file