Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Smithsonian Museum Collection, Washington DC - (lots of pictures)

Yesterday I went to Washington and took the chance to visit the Smithsonian Museum of American History.
Of course, my main target was the Coin collection. It is truly amazing.
I thought it was worth it sharing it with you. Hope you like it.
Sorry for the big pictures and for the poor quality of some of them.
MM

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb post . . . and the pix aren't bad!

It still seems hokey to mount those coins (7 figure wonder-rarities) with little wire brads . . . or whatever they are.

Drunner
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting. I enjoy looking at the coins in the NNC.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the Barber design for the gold coin.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Your pics are great. I love the half unions.....image
    Becky
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool coins! Must have been awesome view them....Thanks for sharing! image

ABimage
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Ciccio.
    Very enjoyable post.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing these great pictures Ciccio!!image

The 1828 Proof Gold is amazing ... and that Class One 1804 is something special ... actually, all of those could be commented on as they are all wonderful pieces ... excellent pictures too! Again ... thanks for sharing!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank thank you!!

Very nice/rich motnage of history and I want that $100,000 dollar (currenlty valuating) bill in my wallet (flat, of course)!!!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics, coming from a display. Thx for posting!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did those go back on exhibit? I've held quite a few of those, but when the old exhibit was being taken down.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Very nice. To think I have lived in the DC area all of my life and only have visited the museums a few times. I need to make a trip - thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Great post. I have one comment regarding the 1933 Double Eagle and the statement that "fewer than 20 survived" Since the board of regents is almost exclusively US lawmakers doesn't this seem like an admission of the legality of the existence of the coins?

Yes, I'm stretching but it sure seems like an acknowledgement to me.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great shots, thanks. IMO the coins would photograph more effectively with darker backgrounds.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    beautiful stuff! I wonder how the Smithsonian ended up with these coins? Were they donated or purchased by the government?
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing!

I am sure this one is not fake!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    How long have the coins been back out. Didn't they put them in storage about five years ago? I will be going to DC in April. The Smithsonian and BPE are on the list.
  • Options
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Superb post . . . and the pix aren't bad!

It still seems hokey to mount those coins (7 figure wonder-rarities) with little wire brads . . . or whatever they are.

Drunner >>

I am fortunate to live local to the museum. We go often. EVERY time that I see the collection I have the exact same thought. They really should have a display worthy of these truly incredible coins.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How long have the coins been back out. Didn't they put them in storage about five years ago? I will be going to DC in April. The Smithsonian and BPE are on the list. >>

A few years ago they put many of these out in the Castle for a brief time.

The Museum of American History is opening back up in stages. The coins have been out for about a year and a half I believe.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think rarities such as these would be encapsulated in a special
    slab or something. Thanks for sharing, diggin that $50 slug.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

Great pics.........thank you for sharing them with us.......image
  • Options
    Thanks Ciccio, great post!!!image
  • Options

<< <i>Great post. I have one comment regarding the 1933 Double Eagle and the statement that "fewer than 20 survived" Since the board of regents is almost exclusively US lawmakers doesn't this seem like an admission of the legality of the existence of the coins?

Yes, I'm stretching but it sure seems like an acknowledgement to me.

John >>

Acknowledging their existence has nothing to do with accepting them as legal to own.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    So how does your mother-in-law feel after you dragged her into the NMAH to look at and photograph some U.S. coins?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Thank you for an excellent post.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>So how does your mother-in-law feel after you dragged her into the NMAH to look at and photograph some U.S. coins? >>

We went there at the end of the day and I spent just 10 minutes in the coin room. image
    (I followed all your advices and did what she wanted to do the whole day)
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    The 1828 5 in proof looks incredible, the 20. patterns and half union are so cool. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Great photos, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great post!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭

<< <i>Superb post . . . and the pix aren't bad!

Drunner >>

image i was thinking the same thing!
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Very Cool. Thanks.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember seeing the national collection there in the 1970's. It was so overwhelming to see all these rarities in one room, I think my mouth was wide open for about an hour. One question, though. I just can't remember if I saw the super-rare 1822 half eagle there or not. Does anyone know if the Smithsonian owns one?
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>I remember seeing the national collection there in the 1970's. It was so overwhelming to see all these rarities in one room, I think my mouth was wide open for about an hour. One question, though. I just can't remember if I saw the super-rare 1822 half eagle there or not. Does anyone know if the Smithsonian owns one? >>

Check here.
    1 out of 3 survivor.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When did those go back on exhibit? I've held quite a few of those, but when the old exhibit was being taken down. >>

Dang it! Now we know where those fingerprints came from!
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    I'd like to see their 1895 Proof Morgan.

Eric
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since nobody loves it, I'll take the 1854-S proof $20. Nice!

Wow, is that Barber twenty ugly - looks as though it is printed like a book - static, boring and not dynamic at all, sure left room for St. G to do better...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yesterday I went to Washington and took the chance to visit the Smithsonian Museum of American History.
    Of course, my main target was the Coin collection. It is truly amazing.
    I thought it was worth it sharing it with you. Hope you like it.
    Sorry for the big pictures and for the poor quality of some of them.
    MM

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    image >>

Love that '33 Double Eagle. ... and I love ONE NATION UNDER GOD, with liberty and justice for all. And I got my fingers crossed for the Langbords hoping the government has a "soft spot". image We have the best country in the whole world. Let's be good to each other.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now theres some wickedly good coin there. thanks for sharing (nice pics to)
  • Options
    Hiya!

Really want to see a pic of the 95 Proof Morgan....

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was 15 years old, my parents took the family on an East Coast trip and we stopped at the Smithsonian. I remember seeing the 1849 Double Eagle and the 1894 S Dime in their exhibit. I think I was the only one there. Thank you for the memories.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice thread.
    There is another cool thread from a visit of 4-5 coin experts in 2008 to grade the coins, when the coins were not yet in their new public display.
    Cool story:
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=685278&STARTPAGE=10
    (about halfway down the page)
    Photos are a bit blurry due to poor lighting and old iPhone, but it's about the story....
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1851 Humbert $50 slug is the BEST !!! Can't believe this may be the only proof pattern piece in existence. The 1849 & 1854 s proof double eagles are also kool coins to see. Thanks for sharing !!!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post.
    That $5 proof is a gem.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1851 Humbert $50 slug is the BEST !!! Can't believe this may be the only proof pattern piece in existence. The 1849 & 1854 s proof double eagles are also kool coins to see. Thanks for sharing !!! >>

+ 1

Obviously my favorite is the 1849 Double Eagle. Ever since Firstmint provided the historical basis that my 1850 was a likely first strike I have pondered how many degrees of separation it may be from the 1849 that preceded it.

(Firstmint's post commenting on my 1850 Double Eagle below. Click link for full thread regarding provenance of the subject 1850 Double Eagle coin.)

Firstmint:

".....IMO, the coin is a first strike from the regular production dies, that happened to get saved and ended up in numismatic channels.

That would be the real story behind this nice coin.

Edited to add the rest of the story -

After doing some quick research and looking for an answer to the reason for such a coin being saved, I uncovered the original appearance for this particular coin.

It came from the James B. Longacre estate (the coin's designer), and was sold in the January 21, 1870 auction sale conducted by
    M(oses) Thomas & Sons in Philadelphia. It was lot #178.

The lot description was: "1850, Double Eagle, proof. This piece was from the first dies used for the double eagle, and might be termed a trial piece."

I believe the J B Longacre pedigree (as a first strike) is much more significant than the C W Green listing ....."

The full thread regarding the 1850 and its provenance
  • Options
    Thanks for the great pictures.

Ms

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file