Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first time buying. How did I do?

One of my local auction houses had several lots of coins. I bid on two lots of coins that I won. Please let me know if you think any of these are worth getting a grade.

Comments

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice album fillers. Depending on prices paid, looks good.

• Options

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not grade them unless they are better varieties, which I don't know if they are or not. Environmental damage and too low of a grade will not make them worthwhile grading. GMHO, Bob

• Options

The half cents I won for $80.
    The large cents I won at $20 each.

• Options

The 1803 Half cent is the one I am most interested in grading.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone can give you a grade.

if you mean slabbing, then no

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

What caused you to buy those particular coins and how did you determine what you were willing to pay for them?
    Why would you think any of them might be worth getting graded?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures are tough to judge, but 99% sure those won't straight grade. None of them.

1828 1/2 cent, maybe VF+/EF in detail, but seriously wonky surfaces and environmental damage
    1803 1/2 cent, serious porosity and post mint damage (large scar marks on obverse)
    1838 1 cent, meh ... probably the best surfaces of the group, but that's a heck of an edge dent
    1845 1 cent, reverse has promise, but the obverse has ED possibly from PVC

Honestly, for what you paid, I do not think you did well ... but I don't know that market.

I think you would have done better to purchase one problem free VF+/EF Classic Head Half Cent, and been picky about surfaces and color.

My 2c ... or if it was my 120. as the case might be.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are asking if they would grade at PCGS in a problem-free holder then none of those four coins, in my opinion, would stand a chance. At $120 all in for the four coins I think you paid too much, but for most folks $120 is not the end of the world so I believe your downside is limited.

Welcome and good luck.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

And were those prices paid the net amount or were there auction fees and maybe sales tax in addition?

• Options

The lot had one more large cent than I posted pictures of. The prices included the buyers fee and taxes. I took a bet hoping that the coins were in decent condition. The pictures were not good and the coins looked decent. I'm not worried about losing the money, I make a good living but I will be more informed next time.
    I think the half and large cents are what I will concentrate on.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    What caused you to buy those particular coins and how did you determine what you were willing to pay for them?

I like half and large cents. I bid on them because a local auction house had them and I wanted to take a chance. I looked up values in my pcgs coin value magazine. I thought the 1803 half was worth what I paid for both the halfs. I was wrong.

• Options

I like an old large cent or two but I am no expert on them. I guess that old cleaning can be an issue.

I am not sure you made any money but you didn't lose it all, either.

• Options

@DeusXP said:

@MFeld said:

I like half and large cents. I bid on them because a local auction house had them and I wanted to take a chance. I looked up values in my pcgs coin value magazine. I thought the 1803 half was worth what I paid for both the halfs. I was wrong.

When you say you “wanted to take a chance”, does that mean you bid, based just on images or something else?

The coins have problems (such as cleaning and environmental damage) , which tend to make their value less than what straight grade examples typically bring. So if you looked at grades (which don’t take such problems into account) in a coin value guide, you probably arrived at unrealistically high value expectations.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@DeusXP said:

@MFeld said:

When you say you “wanted to take a chance”, does that mean you bid, based just on images or something else?

The coins have problems (such as cleaning and environmental damage) , which tend to make their value less than what straight grade examples typically bring. So if you looked at grades (which don’t take such problems into account) in a coin value guide, you probably arrived at unrealistically high value expectations.

Yes, I bid just on poor images using my guide as a reference. I am brand new to collecting and my gamble did not pay off.

• Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Chalk this up to an inexpensive learning experience. All the coins pictured have "issues", been there done that. Coin collecting is a lot of fun, but also an educational journey. Read, read, read, I'd say go to coin shows, but we can't right now. Go to Heritage and Stacks websites, and look at the pictures of their auction coins. That will help in learning about condition and grades. Thanks for sharing your new coins. Keep one as a pocket piece, that's always fun too, and good for the occasional conversation starter :)

BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options

@DeusXP said:

@MFeld said:

@DeusXP said:

@MFeld said:

Yes, I bid just on poor images using my guide as a reference. I am brand new to collecting and my gamble did not pay off.

You could have done much worse and it sounds as if you’re already benefiting from this as a learning experience in a number of ways. That’s a good thing.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    You could have done much worse and it sounds as if you’re already benefiting from this as a learning experience in a number of ways. That’s a good thing.

Here, here. Welcome @DeusXP

I hope you stick around, and that the journey is as rewarding as the prize.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome and sticking your toe in the water is a natural thing. So is over paying. We have all done it. Continue to learn and happy hunting

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

None are worth grading. Unfortunately, you did overpay. Both half cents have serious surface problems. The 1838 cent has a rim bump and the 1845 cent may have a slight one as well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Local auction prices on coins are almost always way too high. Please do yourself a favor and not be so quick to open your wallet unless you have a lot more knowledge.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 7:22PM

They look terrible, like culls. Question if real. For now recommend you buy nice PCGS bullion coins MS 69 / 70.

To really find out how you really did shop them around bourse at show. No interest in any of them - pass.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 7:47PM

Appreciate the history of the coins, and imagine the hands they have passed through.

Buying coins already graded and authenticated offers a nice measure of insurance. Ebay and other online auction sold prices ‘not to be confused with listing prices’ is the only true guide for value. Publications, price guides, etc. are worthless for value, but helpful for information.

Welcome to the hobby.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    They look terrible, like culls. Question if real. For now recommend you buy nice PCGS bullion coins MS 69 / 70.

To really find out how you really did shop them around bourse at show. No interest in any of them - pass.

If he likes EAC, why on earth would he want to do that?

• Options

@daltex said:

@Cougar1978 said:

If he likes EAC, why on earth would he want to do that?

Not to mention, there’s nothing to indicate that the coins might not be genuine.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

We call this paying your tuition, something everyone here has done.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeusXP.... Welcome aboard... You already have your answers above. Do not be discouraged, we all had to learn about coin grading and coin issues. Initially, try to stick with coins already graded by a TPG, in a slab. If early copper is your interest, get a book or two and study it. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before you buy even one more coin you must learn to grade conservatively and spots problems. Don't buy problem coins. They just make someone else's problem your problem. Follow "guess the grade" posts on this forum and learn which posters actually know how to grade (many don't).

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 8:42AM

My first time buying. How did I do?

not very good.

all the coins you've posted look to have been dug out of the ground. as others have suggested, stop buying until you have a better sense of what you're doing or don't mind throwing away your hard earned money. look at coins in shops and ask questions till you find someone you believe you can trust. another collector, a mentor, would be helpful.

avoid places such as where you bought these coins, at least until you have your feet under you. they prey on ignorance and specialize in junk.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

First off I'd like to welcome you to our forum! Secondly: you've gotten some great advice here, some that I think is good and some that is in left field. Stick around here and you'll learn a whole lot. Over the years I've found a handful of contributors here that I pay attention to quite a bit. If you like old copper (as I did in the beginning and still do) what I learned from my mistakes and from the advice of others is that it's all about surface preservation. Tuition is what I'd consider these purchases and move on looking at this as a learning experience. I've learned to be very wary of pictures, so if it doesn't look good in a pic it's probably gonna look worse in hand. If it's fun it's worth it! Have fun.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 8:48AM

@keets said:

>

avoid places such as where you bought these coins, at least until you have your feet under you. they prey on ignorance and specialize in junk.

Such as flea markets that another poster advised to a newbie in a different thread.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first reaction to seeing "My first time buying. How did I do?" was, "Uh oh."

That's a question that's better asked before you actually do the buying. Look at coins that are already in PCGS, NGC, or ANACS holders to see how they compare to those that you bought. While yours aren't worthless by any means, you didn't do well, as they are all problem coins that would receive details grades.

Paying tuition like this is not the end of the world. The next step is to learn how to avoid paying more. Coming here and putting yourself on display was a pretty wise move in that regard.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 4:29PM

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every single collector here has made purchases that they look back on as learning experiences. Here is my best possible advice: In the long run, your taste will evolve, and you won't be happy with lower end, cleaned/damaged coins. Shooting in the dark i.e. buying coins sight unseen from a small auction will not work. Save your money, and buy fewer coins. Shoot for the finest possible PCGS/CAC graded example you can afford....stretch for a great coin if you have to. Buy coins that are special, and have incredible eye-appeal for the grade. Also, establish a relationship with a dealer who specializes in your area, early copper, that you can trust, and who is willing to buy your coins back.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeusXP said:

Welcome aboard!
    As stated many times above "research" and just keep on researching.
    Read as much as you can on the coins that interested you. Look to auction house pictures and compare what you see for the grade shown. Looking at graded pictures along with reading articles on what to look for will help you become more knowledgeable and allow you to get your money's worth when you go to buy. Research and find out what the coin has been selling at. Set a limit on how much you want to bid and stick with it.
    We all here have overpaid for a coin and as seasoned as some here are, still make mistakes. Hopefully they are not high cost mistakes.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

@DeusXP First, WELCOME! I'm also an LC and HC guy, too, and in my early days I bought several "ground finds". It was only after I purchased a few good books about EACs that I finally began purchasing nice coins. I was told, a loooong time ago on this forum to "buy the book before you buy the coin". That was one of the best pieces of advice I ever received. "The Official ANA Grading Standards For United States Coins" is invaluable for a US collector, IMHO. Enjoy this great place, search for posts on LCs and HCs (EACs) and study those coins. You'll do well if you do.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 10:46AM

@ambro51 said:
    Start looking at coins. Look at a Lot of them, go to coin shops, shows (if possible). Meet someone who has collected old copper for awhile and learn to see the coins through His eyes. •••• old copper available to collectors today comes in two basic situations. Coins which were never underground, and coins which Were underground. Metal detectors brought forth a Lot of lightly circulated copper with overall environmental degradation of the surfaces and usually a color change. Dropped, lost....kicked about underfoot and in a farm field for 150 years. On the flip side.. Coins that were tossed in a cigar box, spent time in a dresser drawer, were in a coin envelope... and finally come to us with sweet chocolate surfaces and now sit in a graded XF holder. •••. Both are Real and both tell a story. If You don’t mind not so lovely surfaces, by all means go ahead and collect that coin. Just go into battle armed with the right prices for what you buy, and try to look at a Lot more coins than you buy. Unless you’re looking for a 1799 there’s NO shortage of large cents.

There is also no shortage of low grade, environmental damaged coins that no one really wants. You can find them anytime, anywhere. It is very easy to check onsite coins and ebay auctions for examination. Go for appealing coins that you like. There are many attractive large cents that can be had for under $100. Even worn copper coins down to G may (problem free coins) have some appeal. A lot of my large cents and half-cents are VG or there abouts.

I also check the sold items on Ebay quite a bit.

• Options

Metal detecting is what made me fall in love with large cents. This past season I found 35 large cents and 3 half cents. Also several Spanish reales. I have found some rare coppers but condition is obviously an issue.

• Options

@DeusXP said:
    Metal detecting is what made me fall in love with large cents. This past season I found 35 large cents and 3 half cents. Also several Spanish reales. I have found some rare coppers but condition is obviously an issue.

Wow!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats on the finds. great stuff.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that you are here, sharing your purchases, and asking questions tells me that you are light-years ahead of most people who are new to the hobby. Learn, have fun, and welcome to a wonderful (but quirky) hobby.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file