Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1795 50c Small Head (O-128) - Raised Metal Question

CircCamCircCam Posts: 237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greetings all,

What is this raised lump of metal at the Northwest corner of star 14? It is definitely raised and can be seen with the naked eye. It also appears on the other coins of this variety (Small Head O-128) in Coin Facts: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1795-50c-overton-128-small-head/39251

I was thinking perhaps a rusted die but that seems a bit odd for the shape and being so localized. Any input is appreciated (as well as any other fun knowledge anyone would care to share about this variety.)

The coin is graded F12 CAC. Thanks in advance.

TrueView:

Close-Up (Sharpened for detail) :

@messydesk @OKbustchaser

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a die chip. A little piece of steel flaked off the die at some point, leaving a hole with was filled with the silver when the coin was struck.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die gouge? Nice coin

Mr_Spud

• Options

@BillJones said:
    It is a die chip. A little piece of steel flaked off the die at some point, leaving a hole with was filled with the silver when the coin was struck.

Interesting, thanks. There seem to be fun tales of how attributes of early silver got that way so I thought perhaps it might be described in a volume I don't own.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

The die chip is not mentioned in Overton. Tompkins - "Die line in between two points of S14"

The variety is T-18 in his book. F12 should put it in the condition census - the finest known is VF30. Nice coin!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a die gouge...and being on other coins, I believe that is the answer. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice color!

• Options

@carabonnair said:
    The die chip is not mentioned in Overton. Tompkins - "Die line in between two points of S14"

The variety is T-18 in his book. F12 should put it in the condition census - the finest known is VF30. Nice coin!

Awesome- thank you very much for taking the time to review those.

@ricko said:
    Looks like a die gouge...and being on other coins, I believe that is the answer. Cheers, RickO

@abcde12345 said:
    Nice color!

Thanks!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely coin! Wonderful example!! <3

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 7:08PM

Very exceptional eye appeal for grade. Nicks in the die like these are more common on flowing hair and draped bust halves compared to capped halves.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow beautiful coin. Great pickup!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoBust said:
    Very exceptional eye appeal for grade. Nicks in the die like these are more common on flowing hair and dragged bust halves compared to capped halves.

Man, now I want to see a dragged bust!

:D

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

@Kccoin said:

Thanks man! Can’t wait to hit some shows when the time comes. Hoping @carabonnair and Co. are able to host the Fall PNNA show this year.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CircCam said:

@Kccoin said:

Thanks man! Can’t wait to hit some shows when the time comes. Hoping @carabonnair and Co. are able to host the Fall PNNA show this year.

No doubt. Even a Bob show would do at this point

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 12:19PM

Typo corrected, glad you enjoyed it Toddd

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file