Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Easy Peasy Question: Would you purchase an Omega Counterfeit for melt?

abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you answer no ("I don't support buying counterfeits!"), please explain (other than my quotes). If yes ("It's collectible and worth so much more than melt!"), why?

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Well, I'd pay 98% of melt because then I could melt it.

It might be worth gifting to a numismatic museum. I would NOT collect such a thing, however.

• Options

Yes, I really enjoy the backstory behind the counterfeit and a $20 would be great company to the $3 omega I currently have

• Options

I'd use it in my dealer case at large shows to attract attention and garner interesting conversation. But yes, I'd not sell it either. Perhaps donate it to a museum upon my death.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but I’d probably get it slabbed if one of the grading companies would slab it and state it’s an omega counterfeit on the label. Maybe get a jeweler to etch “copy” on the rim.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take it !

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, because it's real gold and probably the closest I'll ever be able to go to have (essentially) a high relief saint.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

For at or near melt, as long as it didn't look like it got put in a rock tumbler or something ... absolutely! The history and notoriety would be tough to pass.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I wouldn't want counterfeits period.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

In the latest monthly Coin World there’s a whole big article on the desirability of counterfeits. Check it out. It’s pretty good.

• Options

@TurtleCat said:
    In the latest monthly Coin World, there’s a whole big article on the desirability of counterfeits. Check it out. It’s pretty good.

Is it pro-counterfeit or against owning them?
    Modern counterfeits: No, thank you.
    Contemporary counterfeit: Yes, with a stipulation.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I will pay more than melt.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, because I have the real thing, plus I don't want to support counterfeits.

Given the higher current gold prices, you would be giving the seller a profit if he or she has held it for most any period of time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@abcde12345 said:

@TurtleCat said:
    In the latest monthly Coin World, there’s a whole big article on the desirability of counterfeits. Check it out. It’s pretty good.

Is it pro-counterfeit or against owning them?
    Modern counterfeits: No, thank you.
    Contemporary counterfeit: Yes, with a stipulation.

Neither, really. They were just writing about how collectible they are and why people like them. They covered some of the more well known counterfeits as well.

• Options

yes theyre worth a lot more than melt in value, would do the quick flip.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, if I could get a nice one for a reasonable price.

Any of those responsible are long gone & won't profit from my purchase.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I can get it properly attributed by our host, yes.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Heck yes!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes for sure. 100%

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely. I would pay over melt if an authentic Omega.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and then melt it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes... These are a very famous counterfeit and certainly a desirable collectible. Plus, it is real gold....and certainly, if authenticated as a real Omega, it will retain resale value. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. For the history alone.

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would 100% buy for melt, but I suspect I wouldn't get the chance. I've never seen one available for sale, and my guess is it would be bid up much higher.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes! Would like to study it myself. And a nice bullion kind of piece.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, unless Omega is still making them.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I’d pay more than melt

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Yes, but I’d probably get it slabbed if one of the grading companies would slab it and state it’s an omega counterfeit on the label. Maybe get a jeweler to etch “copy” on the rim.

ICG Yellow label slab.

thefinn
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

• Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, although I'd prefer to have one of Barney Rubble's counterfeits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glfWq-of-UQ

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 7:10AM

I would pay more in a heartbeat. I was recently offered $3,500 for mine and turned it down.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file