Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps Mantle PSA 8 has hit $1,000,000 and two 1986 Fleer Jordan RC's just sold for $720k each!

VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like we are about to witness history in the making tonight as a 1952 Mickey Mantle PSA 8 appears to be on track to be the first recorded sale to hit the $1,000,000 mark. Never has an 8 done this. There was one sold in Nov 2020 which sold for $584,250.00 The highest recorded appears to have been in 2017 right after vintage went crazy in 2016 and that 8 sold for $660,000. This one is currently at $805K and then add the 20% BP and that total is at $966K with 8 hours still to go. I should also note that this is a very nice looking copy. I am not sure if the next 8 will cross over to hit the magic number as well but with this sale, it is certainly inviting others to soon follow.

This is pretty exciting seeing how we just saw record breaking sales with the PSA 9 which sold for over 5 million and now with the record sale of the PSA 8, that can only mean good things for everyone who currently has one. I expect to see some 52 Mantles on eBay move with a little more urgency over the next couple of days once this sale is over as we saw it happen after the sale of the PSA 9.

Anyone care to guess the final number it will land on?

https://goldinauctions.com/1952_Topps__311_Mickey_Mantle_Rookie_Card___PSA_NM-LOT71021.aspx

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an incredible 8. Perfect centering and no tilt!

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 2:03PM

And the 5 in same auction is flirting with 100,000, after another 5 went for 118,000 recently. Neither being what I would call high end for the grade, either. And at the PSA 1 level, a $33,000 sale a few weeks ago for an extremely strong example.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the same one that sold for $660k back in 2017. Great centering on the card, and for close to a million that print or imperfection to the left of the Yankees symbol better be clear and clean before pulling the trigger.

KC

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    And the 5 in same auction is flirting with 100,000, after another 5 went for 118,000 recently. Neither being what I would call high end for the grade, either. And at the PSA 1 level, a $33,000 sale a few weeks ago for an extremely strong example.

matty, when/where was the 118k 5 sale?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody got a mil they can lend me?

I'll put my 1995 Ford Taurus up for collateral.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 8:19PM

How about that 1980 bkb wax box for $76k.

Wow.

• Options

after a brief personal exchange w this guy, was never a fan of goldin. never really looked at his site but gotta sayi did get a kick outta this:

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 8:21PM

:'( How about $302,000 for a 1986 Fleer basketball wax box!!! Oh my! TG&Y store in Tallahassee, FL had ten unwanted, lonely boxes at the checkout counter when I was buying 1987 Topps Rack packs back in the day. I probably could have had them for half price dealing w/store manager. :'(

And $475k + 20% for one of psa-10 Jordan RCs!

Cash is flowing faster than I can keep up!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    :'( How about $302,000 for a 1986 Fleer basketball wax box!!! Oh my! TG&Y store in Tallahassee, FL had ten unwanted, lonely boxes at the checkout counter when I was buying 1987 Topps Rack packs back in the day. I probably could have had them for half price dealing w/store manager. :'(

some of this stuff is just insane. 3 years back, a buddy and i bought 2 boxes of 80 topps basketball from steve at the national. we ripped 1 and saved 1. they were $5k each.

i literally just found the one we ripped buried in the closet. had zero clue how much this stuff went up. we got 2 bird/magic rookies. one o/c that will probably 6 and fingers crossed for an 8 on the other one. looking like the real winner will be the unopened pack w the card showing. even then i'm not sure if we'll make out better than if we woulda left it unopened. but i am glad i crossed that card off my personal pack pulled rookie card list.

• Options

@DM23HOF said:

$100k marked reached on that 5 apparently. assuming that is w/o a buyers premium? 😉

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:

TG&Y! Now that is a blast from the past. :)

• Options

The 1952 Mantle psa-8 just crossed a cool million dollars!

$1,005,000 + 20%!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Amazing numbers tonight and its still not over with the 52 Mantle PSA 5 which is now at over $140 with BP and the PSA 8 over 1 million without BP. Then we have two Jordan PSA 10's that look like they both might cross over to 600K+. This is just amazing to see.

• Options

And the 5 is not even that strong! Wow. Two uncentered 5s now well over 118k.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2021 8:48PM

$600k for the psa-10 Jordan RCs. I am calling it ...$1,000,000 w/BP! It will be the next million dollar card...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2021 8:46PM

Poor guy who sold a Jordan RC PSA-10 for $10k on this site in 2015. I would be on a suicide watch ;)

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    $600k for the psa-10 Jordan RCs. I am calling it ...$1,000,000 w/BP! It will be the next million dollar card...

Monte - I think a better way of asking this is not will it but should it? Card was $37k a year ago and what $125k a couple months ago. What in that time has made this card rise 25 fold in a year or 6-7 fold in two months? Did he retire? Set a milestone? Pass away?

New money has something to do with it I am sure, and people bidding this up are either worth $20-40 million or bids are being manipulated to drove this up along with other Jordan cards. No one denies he is not the GOAT, but it is not like people are just realizing who he is and deciding they want his cards. Supply is not the issue either. 290+ PSA 10’s and a few thousand 9’s with several raw, 9/9.5’s and unopened that could still be 10’s. It is not like a Gretzky 10 with a pop of 2 or a Brady auto contenders with a handful of examples.

Like Warren Buffett says when others are greedy be fearful, and when others are fearful be greedy.

• Options

so the psa 5 mantle that says $121,000 and closed. is that w/ or w/o a buyers premium? either way, wow!

a lot of wows and hot damns actually.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2021 9:41PM

@KendallCat said:

@mintonlypls said:

Monte - I think a better way of asking this is not will it but should it? Card was $37k a year ago and what $125k a couple months ago. What in that time has made this card rise 25 fold in a year or 6-7 fold in two months? Did he retire? Set a milestone? Pass away?

New money has something to do with it I am sure, and people bidding this up are either worth $20-40 million or bids are being manipulated to drove this up along with other Jordan cards. No one denies he is not the GOAT, but it is not like people are just realizing who he is and deciding they want his cards. Supply is not the issue either. 290+ PSA 10’s and a few thousand 9’s with several raw, 9/9.5’s and unopened that could still be 10’s. It is not like a Gretzky 10 with a pop of 2 or a Brady auto contenders with a handful of examples.

Like Warren Buffett says when others are greedy be fearful, and when others are fearful be greedy.

it's the new bugatti in those type circles. won't be too long before it's being pimped in a music vid or a major lyric in a song...

"rolly's on my wrist losing time, 86 jordan 10 blowin their minds" or something like that. sorry for the bad lyrics, i'm from 7 mile.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    so the psa 5 mantle that says $121,000 and closed. is that w/ or w/o a buyers premium? either way, wow!

You have to be logged in to see the BP added. So it was 121K + the 20% = $145K

• Options

@Vagabond said:

@blurryface said:

You have to be logged in to see the BP added. So it was 121K + the 20% = $145K

more music to my ears! thank you!

• Options

Yes, 145k.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2021 12:56AM

duplicate

• Options
    edited January 31, 2021 12:55AM

don't wanna post unless sure.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2021 12:18AM

I was able to pick up both cards using my barcode scanner through my PSA app while holding my phone to the computer screen. I think your either not doing something right or your app isn't picking it up hence why you may be getting some sort of "error" message but i assure you it comes out fine on my end.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2021 12:56AM

im not getting an error message. but if yours is reading correctly, then could be

• Options
    edited January 31, 2021 7:04AM

What did the 1986 Fleer Basketball wax box sell at w/buyer's premium? Just amazing prices...speechless! Wall Street has found us or Reddit!

I am not sure that I will be able to finish my collection of 20 additional cards on my want list of vintage cards with 7 RCs among them. I prefer high end cards in my collection with 89% at 8.5 or better currently in my 112 baseball card collection and only 1 PSA-7.5 and 1 PSA-7.

When I went to bed...the 86 Fleer box sat at $362k w/BP. Does that equate to $10k or 15k/pack depending on 24 or 36 packs per box?

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Both Jordans sold for 720K each which included the BP amount. Just insane.

• Options

A million dollars for a psa-10 Jordan RC...not too far away.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

At those prices you’d have to think people will start cashing out their Jordans, but as fast as prices are going up, maybe they’ll just hold, afraid they’ll keep going.

• Options

I have a jordan 8 and I was tempted when they crossed 10k.

Two last night closed at 19.9 and 23.5k.

Good lord.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

That has 200k in a few years written all over it.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that is the “problem” or more. Guys who sold their 10’s for 150-250K whatever have to be losing it

@balco758 said:
    That has 200k in a few years written all over it.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Short squeeze lol

• Options
    edited January 31, 2021 10:23AM

@dan89 said:
    I know that is the “problem” or more. Guys who sold their 10’s for 150-250K whatever have to be losing it

When I attended the 2019 National in Chicago, the Jordans were actually selling for just under 30K. Imagine how those sellers are feeling now.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

I sold my Jordan PSA 10 RC for $125k in October. It is a bummer it has gone up so much since then but what can you do? I still have 7 Jordan RCs (3 PSA 9s, 3 PSA 8s, and a PSA 7.5) so not missing out on the run up entirely. Also, the bump in Brady rookies since winning the NFC championship game helps (I have over 100 different PSA 9 Brady RCs). Still sucks though (I could have paid off my full mortgage if I had just waited a few months, lol).

The currently prices don't really make any sense and I do believe the bottom will fall out at some point. When I sold I thought it was the peak though, so I'm not exactly batting 1000 when it comes to predicting the price trajectory of Jordan RCs.

My wife did say, I can't sell any more of my high value cards unless it will pay off the rest of the house (~300k), so I really need Brady to win next Sunday so his PSA 9 Playoff Contenders auto RC becomes a 1/2 million dollar card :smiley:

Robb

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the $125k sale of the MJ. I am sure you put the funds to good use. IMHO, sound strategy, especially given the other sweet MJ collection you kept.

Don’t look back.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collectibles are becoming the Pop Art craze.... throw up a cartoon on a card and call it "Kaboom" and watch the prices escalate.... especially if its numbered.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 11:25AM

What's the market like for the Jordan Tar Heels cards? The light blue ones, some with Coca-Cola on the lower left corner. Bought a boat load 20 years ago should I get them graded? All are near perfect at least to me. Is PSA at the top of the heap?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

Bragging rights, fear of missing out (FOMO), Wall Street money, where else can you invest as the gov't devalues the dollar, global demand more than ever, low pop cards with influx of new buyers, HIGH pop cards with influx of new buyers, supply & demand.
    Crazy. Can't go up like this forever

How much Wagner worth? A billion $?

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Good to see the hobby blowing up.

Some cards I’ve sold have shot up 1,000% / some cards I still own have shot up 1,000% / it’s a good “problem” to have!

• Options

A lot of this price increase in Jordan’s makes zero sense. Not that he is not the GOAT, but can anyone answer me why $235k turned into a million in 3 weeks. Last Dance, GameStop, dollar devaluation, move away from stocks to alternative investments, Aaron passing, Mantle at $5.2 million? Maybe it is a little simpler than that - few guys want a big card and have been pumping it through the same auction as Vegas Dave and his Trout. Same one who after selling it says it is going to now crash. Just like pumping a stock or an investment IMO. A lot of smart collectors on this board and some of the smartest in the hobby, and none of them saw this coming? What does that tell you.😉

• Options

Prices have been steadily increasing for months. The market is being flooded with new investors buying up inventory is driving all these gains which is why it's such a wide swath of cards seeing gains.

Simple supply and demand is driving these gains-its not complicated.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    A lot of this price increase in Jordan’s makes zero sense. Not that he is not the GOAT, but can anyone answer me why $235k turned into a million in 3 weeks. Last Dance, GameStop, dollar devaluation, move away from stocks to alternative investments, Aaron passing, Mantle at $5.2 million? Maybe it is a little simpler than that - few guys want a big card and have been pumping it through the same auction as Vegas Dave and his Trout. Same one who after selling it says it is going to now crash. Just like pumping a stock or an investment IMO. A lot of smart collectors on this board and some of the smartest in the hobby, and none of them saw this coming? What does that tell you.😉

What it tells me is that the me generation is alive and well, and it ain’t going away anytime soon. Just like team owners and cities will spend billions of dollars on stadiums and teams, the common joe will spend the same on the cards he desires. Long live the me generation.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@KendallCat said:

What it tells me is that the me generation is alive and well, and it ain’t going away anytime soon. Just like team owners and cities will spend billions of dollars on stadiums and teams, the common joe will spend the same on the cards he desires. Long live the me generation.

Sorry, these aren't common Joes. He was priced out a year ago.
    Nobody is mortgaging the house to buy a Jordan

• Options

@emar said:

@Goldenage said:

@KendallCat said:

Sorry, these aren't common Joes. He was priced out a year ago.
    Nobody is mortgaging the house to buy a Jordan

The hobby boom that happened between 1987-1992 now has guys who have inherited lots of money.

Just wait until all those 10-12 year olds in 1992 who are now 38-40 years old come into money 15-30 years from now. The battle for Jordan’s, Gretzky’s, Lemieuxs, and yes Cansecos and Griffey’s will be on.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2021 12:55PM

I will add that the Mantle crowd will be dead when those 38-40 year olds come into money 15-30 years from now. I would sell all my Mantles for Jordan’s and Gretzky’s and Brady’s ASAP.