Home U.S. Coin Forum

My 1875-CC Twenty Cent Newp

winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2021 8:29AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just bought the following coin this morning. The CAC pop is only 9, out of 142 in this grade by PCGS and NGC. Yes, I know it's been dipped at some point, but apparently gently enough to still merit the CAC, as the luster is "All There". I also recognize that the majority of knowledgeable collectors prefer their 19th Century silver coins to have "originality", as exhibited by some toning. Regardless, there's a large but silent group that prefers coins with this type of eye appeal, and I see that in auction results as coins get bid up. However, I bought this one from a dealer, and not via auction.

Will @ricko apply his coveted "BW" seal?

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Comments

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily dipped. If preserved well enough, it could be absolutely not cleaned. CAC confirms it along with the whispy light silvery gold toning. I think it is 100% original.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, the luster is still thick and frosty. I’m one of those that would like to see a little more tone, but also realize that coin has a LOT going for it, as-is.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Very nice, the luster is still thick and frosty. I’m one of those that would like to see a little more tone, but also realize that coin has a LOT going for it, as-is.

And as noted, only 9 out of 142 in this grade has a CAC. Some of those nine might be deep in collections, so I feel very fortunate that this became available.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

ilike the luster on it. a nice score for yourself

• dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful, SCORE!!

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Not necessarily dipped. If preserved well enough, it could be absolutely not cleaned. CAC confirms it along with the whispy light silvery gold toning. I think it is 100% original.

I’m not sure what you were saying CAC confirmed. But they weren’t confirming anything about whether the coin has been dipped.

It looks dipped, yet quite nice, to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might, might not have been dipped. I can see it as all original. Millions of coins have survived with little or no toning from this era. This coin does have some toning especially at 12 on the obverse. I like, luster seems to be original but need to see in hand to verify.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    edited January 30, 2021 10:00AM

@AUandAG said:
    Might, might not have been dipped. I can see it as all original. Millions of coins have survived with little or no toning from this era. This coin does have some toning especially at 12 on the obverse. I like, luster seems to be original but need to see in hand to verify.

Look at the partial halo around much of the upper portion of Ms. Liberty. I doubt that would be present on an un-dipped coin.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Just to remention what Dr Feld said, CAC does not affirm a coin is not dipped ie original with the granting its sticker.
    I think it is important to mention this since many collectors assume that the sticker signifies the coin is undipped.

On a side note, I always found it a bit comical how oversized the word LIBERTY is on the shield.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

Look at the partial halo around much of the upper portion of Ms. Liberty. I doubt that would be present in an un-dipped coin.

I was thinking the same. But either way, tough cool coin.

@trueblood said:
    to mention what Dr. Feld said, CAC does not affirm a coin is not dipped, i.e., original with the granting its sticker.
    I think it is important to mention this since many collectors assume that the sticker signifies the coin is undipped.

Good call. I always confuse that.
    You (and Mark) are correct. It is a confirmation to me though it is less likely to have been dipped- and if so, done unobtrusively.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another indicator of a light dip is when the only toning is darker spots, often brown or black. Those are what is left when the rest of the toning has been removed.

That said, a silver coin can definitely remain untoned for 150 years depending on storage conditions. I don’t think it’s very common though.

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Twenty cent piece, I love it! I have been looking for something just like that to upgrade my AU53 1875-CC.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice CC double dime! Most likely dipped but it looks great.

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a highly worthwhile addition. Very nice!

mirabela
  • ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one! @winesteven

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s nice for the grade and deserves the sticker.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Time to pop open a Napa Cabernet.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 2:29PM

@skier07 said:
    Very nice. Time to pop open a Napa Cabernet.

Actually, for dinner tonight I pulled out a Brunello from the 2013 vintage, released in 2018. Wine Spectator Magazine made this wine their #17 Wine of the Year (out of 15,359 wines they evaluated in 2018). Wine Spectator estimates the best drinking window for this particular wine is from 2021 - 2033, so it's ready!!! To make a numismatic comparison, i'd say it got a green CAC. lol

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I would be one who would like to see more color as well, that is really a good looking coin, and although appears to be dipped at one time, not overdone in any way, and still has very attractive luster and a wholesome look.

Very good looking addition! <3

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

@MFeld I guess I need a new monitor.....I see no halo.

be well, stay safe,

@AUandAG said:

be well, stay safe,

Bob, look to the left of her upper (facing) left arm and face, as well as beneath her (facing) right arm, moving downward, to the right of her leg.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! I like it.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin has been dipped, but it's still nice example. It also has a better than average strike. It's not perfect, but many 1875-CC double dimes are flat on the upper portion of the eagle's left wing.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@MFeld said:

@AUandAG said:

be well, stay safe,

Bob, look to the left of her upper (facing) left arm and face, as well as beneath her (facing) right arm, moving downward, to the right of her leg.

Okay, just lighting to my eyes. I think of all the millions of bright white GSA dollars that survived all sorts of crap for 150 years and are just still wonderfully white and lustrous. Sure would not be uncommon, especially with west coast coins where humidities are most of the time near zero. Still would want to see it.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, just lighting to my eyes. I think of all the millions of bright white GSA dollars that survived all sorts of crap for 150 years and are just still wonderfully white and lustrous. Sure would not be uncommon, especially with west coast coins where humidities are most of the time near zero. Still would want to see it.

Those GSA dollars were stored in bags for most all of their existence and were not subject to light and other aspects of the atmosphere. The twenty cent piece might not have circulated for long, but it was in the atmosphere and was subject the air and perhaps coin envelopes that had some sulfur left in them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The coin has been dipped, but it's still nice example. It also has a better than average strike. It's not perfect, but many 1875-CC double dimes are flat on the upper portion of the eagle's left wing.

Agree, nice coin, but think historically about how homes and buildings were heated when that coin was minted and for a long time afterwards. Keeping things airtight was difficult then as well.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s fun to remember that maximum originality is always 100% blast white (at least for silver). That said, this one has several characteristics that make me think it was dipped, but so what. It’s veeeeery nice just like it is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file