Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1895 Proof Barber's

Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always loved the 1895 date....Mainly because of the Morgan Proof, and it being the "King." The celebrity kind of rubs off on all the other 1895's and makes them famous by association. Mintage for the silver coinage was 880, which was fairly typical at the time.

Comments

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Exquisite

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the rich and deep blues and purples these Barber halves take on. I've always quietly pondered as to why you don't see this toning on Walkers.

• Options

@abcde12345 said:
    I love the rich and deep blues and purples these Barber halves take on. I've always quietly pondered as to why you don't see this toning on Walkers.

Well, it's a good question, and I'm sure it has to do with the wrapping they came in from the mint. I believe that the Barber proof coins were individually wrapped in tissue paper and sent registered mail in an envelope or box depending on the number of coins. This must have influenced the toning patterns and colors. Walker's in Mint State are a totally different beast. I think most of them get their color from albums that were popular in the 50's and 60's. The Walker proofs came in cellophane and have very distinctive toning in beige and powder blue.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great answer!
    See? YOU (and others) are what makes this forum great.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is your dollar? If it matched those Barbers your bank account could be in high cotton!

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

The half is outstanding. I've noticed however, if toning is deemed to be too rich, including it if an even type of toning on both sides of the coin, it can be grade limiting.

On another note, I've always liked the PF Walkers and Buffalo Nickels, though I have never bought either of them.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

@Elcontador said:
    The half is outstanding. I've noticed however, if toning is deemed to be too rich, including it if an even type of toning on both sides of the coin, it can be grade limiting.

On another note, I've always liked the PF Walkers and Buffalo Nickels, though I have never bought either of them.

Yes, I agree, and it can be deceiving sometimes with the Trueview photos to tell how dark a coin is. The grades on these coins, I should have posted. The dime is PF-67+ CAC, the quarter is PF-67+ CAC, the Half is PF-67 CAC. All strong grades. They aren't too dark in person, and have great flash under the color.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic proof examples, particularly the half dollar.

Beauties!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Where is your dollar? If it matched those Barbers your bank account could be in high cotton!

1895 Dollar=STOPPER! I wish, maybe someday.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

WOW!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome trio ... while I like them all, a lot <3 to me, that dime is just something special!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Awesome trio ... while I like them all, a lot <3 to me, that dime is just something special!

Good eye!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 ... That WLH is amazing... and I am partial to that year .... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Eldorado9 ... That WLH is amazing... and I am partial to that year .... ;) Cheers, RickO

@ricko I think it's safe to call that one "fresh" :p

• Options

@Eldorado9 ... For sure, a real beauty. Something like that, at a coin show, would definitely get my attention, and possibly some cash. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Eldorado9 ... For sure, a real beauty. Something like that, at a coin show, would definitely get my attention, and possibly some cash. Cheers, RickO

Agreed......Got to be one of the most exciting things in Numismatics....The discovery of untouched proof sets....I'm partial to that Barber era 1892-1915...Can you imagine, finding in some attic, like all the Barber proof sets, wrapped up in the original stuff from the mint? Makes me crazy thinking about that.

• Options

@Eldorado9.... So true... The dream of treasure hunters everywhere. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file