Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rick Snow?

2»

Comments

• Options
    oldUScoinsoldUScoins Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about this. Hang in there Rick!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye.... Difficult situation and usually not quickly resolved. Best of luck. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry Rick. I hope for a good outcome.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legal matters like this can feel like torture; then you get through it, heal, and life gets better again. Due to the show shutdowns I am sure many dealers are suffering financially.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 8:29AM

@Catbert said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    This thread is an interesting experiment in tribal loyalty.

Perhaps, or it is one where some hobbyists have sympathy for someone who owns up to their failings. Who here hasn't failed in their lifetimes?

Tribal loyalty goes both ways. We had a forum member who took his own life a while back. There wasn't a lot of tribal loyalty there but the situation was different.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 8:29AM

Good luck Rick @EagleEye! Glad your website is up again. You've built up a great business and following with the Seal. Hope it all works out.

Is it possible to get another investor? If so, you could payout the current investor and replenish the funds.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear, Rick. Best wishes.

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hang in there Rick.......

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Perhaps, or it is one where some hobbyists have sympathy for someone who owns up to their failings. Who here hasn't failed in their lifetimes?

I agree, more or less. But I just wonder what our response would be if the other party had posted here. There is a tendency to rally to the tribe. When someone posts that they didn't get a coin they received, we scream "scammer" and side with the buyer. When someone posts that their buyer is complaining that they didn't get the coin that we shipped, we block the buyer for being a nuisance and blame the post office.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it works out for both parties in this instance. This is a private matter between two parties and I have no reason to wish ill on either of them. I also don't believe there is any broader societal concern.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Rick... you will swim through this. ><>
    You got the Eye. :wink:

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 8:52AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Catbert said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I agree, more or less. But I just wonder what our response would be if the other party had posted here. There is a tendency to rally to the tribe. When someone posts that they didn't get a coin they received, we scream "scammer" and side with the buyer. When someone posts that their buyer is complaining that they didn't get the coin that we shipped, we block the buyer for being a nuisance and blame the post office.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it works out for both parties in this instance. This is a private matter between two parties and I have no reason to wish ill on either of them. I also don't believe there is any broader societal concern.

Without more information (and I'm not asking nor do I think it should necessarily be posted), it seems like an unfortunate business situation. I don't have enough information on who is right vs. wrong, but it's unfortunate if it impacts Rick's business as an ongoing concern.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope it works out for both parties.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think we're gonna need a bigger investor.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    i think we're gonna need a bigger investor.

someone who can't run fast

• Options
    kauwisckauwisc Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:
    Hi all,
    I am being sued. I had an investor in my business and the contract with him stipulated that I maintain the amount invested in my business in inventory. I failed to do so. So I am concentrated on getting though this very difficult situation. Initially, I thought I should shut everything down to preserve everything as it was when I was served. This was prior to legal counsel. They are not trying to shut me down, only recover the investment, which may be the same thing. We'll see. I still have my intellectual property, like Photo Seal and my books. Anyone who has gone though something like this knows the pain involved. I ask for your prayers and well-wishes.

Wish you well Rick! I've purchased a couple of your "Photo Seal" coins and sent a coin to you for the Photo Seal sticker which is equivalent to a CAC sticker.

This is the coin that earned your sticker. Two images by Mark Goodman of the same coin:

This image is by BlueCC:

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rick, I hope this resolves equitably for you and the other party.

I, as a dealer, learn a great deal from this type of thread.

Lesson learned ... Do NOT let anyone invest in my business.

Another lesson that I have recently learned personally is not to take consignments.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Another lesson that I have recently learned personally is not to take consignments.

I'm not sure that's the lesson. I mean, it was for you. I would take loans, if necessary, and consignments but you need really well written agreements and stick to them.

I don't know what your consignment problem was, but most issues ive seen are when expectations aren't met but not clearly articulated up front...in writing.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

good luck rick all the best, im routing for ya

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 11:37AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I'm not sure that's the lesson. I mean, it was for you. I would take loans, if necessary, and consignments but you need really well written agreements and stick to them.

I don't know what your consignment problem was, but most issues ive seen are when expectations aren't met but not clearly articulated up front...in writing.

The worst part of the experience was the constant phone calls from the consigner wanting to micromanage my business. It was kinda like I had a boss.

I gave the client an incredibly good deal and then he kept wanting to change the agreement.

Not worth the hassle.

Next time, I will offer to buy outright.

A loan may come from any source, ie a bank, a credit card, etc.

I am afraid that an investor might want to micromanage the business which is unacceptable.

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of this. Best of luck Rick.
    Wise words from ErrorsOnCoins

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 1:08PM

@coinnut said:

I agree. Not that consignments can’t be mutually beneficial but it takes the right kind of dealer and consigner. The nick picking, milk every penny out of their coins type is going to be hard to live with except a cash outright transaction. Other wise consignments should be viewed as marketing opportunities. I will eBay cycle them X times, i will show cycle them X times....and if I execute a sale between ($this and this$) your portion is this. After said cycles they will be returned by X date with all monies closed status.

On the other side; “Let me hold them and see what I can do” is lazy and a recipe for disappointment all around.

• Options

@Crypto said:

@coinnut said:

I agree. Not that consignments can’t be mutually beneficial but it takes the right kind of dealer and consigner. The nick picking, milk every penny out of their coins type is going to be hard to live with except a cash outright transaction. Other wise consignments should be viewed as marketing opportunities. I will eBay cycle them X times, i will show cycle them X times....and if I execute a sale between ($this and this$) your portion is this. After said cycles they will be returned by X date with all monies closed status.

On the other side; “Let me hold them and see what I can do” is lazy and a recipe for disappointment all around.

Yes, exactly this.

When I have a clear upfront agreement (in writing), I've never had a problem. Something akin to I will run it in this forum at this price in this mode for this long and take this percentage.

Whenever it is a "sell this and see what you can get", there is often a problem with expectations not being met, etc.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

The worst part of the experience was the constant phone calls from the consigner wanting to micromanage my business. It was kinda like I had a boss.

I gave the client an incredibly good deal and then he kept wanting to change the agreement.

Not worth the hassle.

Next time, I will offer to buy outright.

A loan may come from any source, ie a bank, a credit card, etc.

I am afraid that an investor might want to micromanage the business which is unacceptable.

Again, you can take a private loan but it needs to be clear that your "investor" is not a partner. You get the money and agree to whatever terms. I've done numerous deals like that where I loaned people money.

This discussion has been closed.