Home Sports Talk

Two minutes to go, down by four

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 18, 2021 7:26PM in Sports Talk

They're doing a little survey on Twitter, you got two minutes to go in the 4th quarter, down by four in the Super Bowl. Who do you want as your quarterback out of these. Now keep in mind, they're all in their absolute prime!

1. Tom Brady
  2. Joe Montana
  3. Drew Brees
  4. Aaron Rodgers
  5. Patrick Mahomes
  6. Peyton Manning
  7. Carson Wentz

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady only because I've seen him do it more then anyone else by a county mile

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Montana.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goff. I've got a bet on the other team.

Montana

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

John Elway, because I am a Bronco fan.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

That's tough. I am gonna go with Joe Cool although Brady is right there for me. The other three are not at that level IMHO (Mahomes could still get there but hasn't been around long enough for me).

Peyton Manning wants to fight the OP.

I would take him after Brady

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Peyton Manning wants to fight the OP.

I would take him after Brady

m

Ok, you've convinced me, I'll let Peyton in.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady 100%. I know you guys are absolutely shocked at my pick 🤷‍♂️

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carson Wen.............. Sorry I choked. I saw the clock running down and tried to get a name in before the buzzer.
    Dang I really suck under pressure.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    Carson Wen.............. Sorry I choked. I saw the clock running down and tried to get a name in before the buzzer.
    Dang I really suck under pressure.

No, it's ok, I understand. I've added Carson Wentz to the choices.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Freaking Brady is the correct answer to this question.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

And to be honest I think I would pick Joe Montana. He's never lost as QB in a Super Bowl.
    Of course neither has Mahomes but he's only played in 1 so far.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady. Has anyone watched the play-offs a Super Bowls over the years.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick Foles

@BillJones said:

I did watch the Super Bowl a few years ago against the Eagles when Brady choked in the last few minutes....and Nick Foles didn't.

Seriously, I've got Montana as a clear #1

Tough call at #2 with those choices.

@BillJones said:

yes, I've seen Brady lose a few Super Bowls. Have you ever seen Joe Montana lose a Super Bowl?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Montana. Perfect record. Correct answer. ;-)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

Sorry. Not enough experience. 4 measly games? Joe can wear all his rings on one hand. Tom can not. Case closed

DD the thread can be closed now

m

@Justacommeman said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Sorry. Not enough experience. 4 measly games? Joe can wear all his rings on one hand. Tom can not. Case closed

m

Montana's average QB rate in SB is 123. He never threw an interception and averaged 3 TDs per game.

I'll still take him!

I would be up all night running Brady's numbers. Going to bed.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

@Justacommeman said:

@JoeBanzai said:

m

Montana's average QB rate in SB is 123. He never threw an interception and averaged 3 TDs per game.

I'll still take him!

I would be up all night running Brady's numbers. Going to bed.

Montana was great. Brady is great. Two great choices.

m

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m old, old school. Nobody beats Joe Cool. Nobody.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d take Eli over Peyton Manning in a two minute drill in the Super Bowl. Peyton Manning was not the same player in the postseason as he was in the regular season.

As for the actual question, I’d argue for (and ever so slightly give the edge) to Joe Montana but I wouldn’t argue against anyone picking Tom Brady or John Elway from that list.

The rest of those names don’t get it done for me but I reserve the right to change my mind on Patrick Mahomes when he’s got some more time in the league.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Montana to Rice or Taylor, every day............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

my choice of Montana over Brady is predicated on the fact that Joe Montana has the ability to run/scramble if he needs to. B)

Brady was great in that TV show "The Brady Bunch" where he played the husband.

I particularly liked the episode when the family was visiting Philadelphia, and Tom got lost in traffic and fumbled his car keys - that one was funny.

@spacehayduke said:

Brady to Edelman or Gronk everyday AND twice on Sundays 👍👍

@spacehayduke said:

We saw that very thing in the Super Bowl vs Cincinnati. Ice water in his veins.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great QBs have had great receivers. Seems you can't have one without the other. With all the Montana votes here do some consider him the GOAT? I would take Montana for a last chance drive. As GOAT since 1955 I would take Brady for his excellence over a very long career.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Great QBs have had great receivers. Seems you can't have one without the other. With all the Montana votes here do some consider him the GOAT? I would take Montana for a last chance drive. As GOAT since 1955 I would take Brady for his excellence over a very long career.

I can only speak what I’ve seen in my lifetime so the Otto Grahams etc not included.
    Johnny Unitas was the GOAT until Joe Montana. Montana was the GOAT until Tom Brady. Tom Brady is the greatest QB in my lifetime of watching football. Circa 1962.

W.C.Fields

people talk about montanas unbeaten record in the super bowl. the only reason that record looks so nice is that he lost more often in earlier rounds. doesn't it make a more successful season to lose in the super bowl than in an earlier round? of course it does.

as far as "winning" super bowls (which really is a team accomplishment) when two players have the same number of SB wins, the one with more additional appearances would have the more accomplished career. that means that QBs team made it to the big dance more than the QB with the pristine record.

@2dueces said:

@spacehayduke said:

But nothing compared to Brady down 28-3. I mean seriously it’s not even a comparison

@Brick said:

Strange how when Brady had his best {?} group of receivers, he didn't win the SB for three years (Moss).

I always considered Montana the GOAT, but there must be three or four more guys who are right there.

Brady certainly has been the most successful for the longest period of time. Would like to have seen what Montana could have done in 1993 and 1994 if the 49ers had kept him. Of course with Steve Young there, that wasn't going to happen.

Could Joe have beaten the Cowboys in 1993? Young did throw an interception in that game.

IF Montana could have beaten them and the Bills in the SB, AND played the next year in SF, he just might have a couple more SB victories. THAT'S how much playing on a great team means!

We'll never know.

edited January 19, 2021 8:59AM

@craig44 said:
    people talk about montanas unbeaten record in the super bowl. the only reason that record looks so nice is that he lost more often in earlier rounds. doesn't it make a more successful season to lose in the super bowl than in an earlier round? of course it does.

WHAT? Brady "lost" five times in the early rounds and three times in the SB from 2005-2013. That's nine straight years "he" didn't win the SB.

as far as "winning" super bowls (which really is a team accomplishment) when two players have the same number of SB wins, the one with more additional appearances would have the more accomplished career. that means that QBs team made it to the big dance more than the QB with the pristine record.

Again WHAT? If a SB victory is a team accomplishment then more additional appearances would be a team accomplishment as well.

I don't argue that Brady isn't one of the greatest of all time and perhaps the GOAT, but let's be realistic. He also has 11 post season losses, looks like the second "worst" all-time, behind Peyton Manning. Another GOAT contender.

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@spacehayduke said:

But nothing compared to Brady down 28-3. I mean seriously it’s not even a comparison

It was unbelievable!! How the Falcons choked. 😂

W.C.Fields

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@spacehayduke said:

He was fantastic in that game, but you have to admit, Atlanta choked that game away as well.

@stevek said:

I particularly liked the episode when the family was visiting Philadelphia, and Tom got lost in traffic and fumbled his car keys - that one was funny.

He wasn't even the best QB on that show, Joe Namath was in one episode!

;-)

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@spacehayduke said:

He was fantastic in that game, but you have to admit, Atlanta choked that game away as well.

I agree Atlanta choked, but it was still a great performance by Brady, taking advantage of the opportunity.

Greatest comeback I've ever seen in any NFL game, considering all the circumstances involved, especially being the Super Bowl. Not only scoring two TD's, but having to make two 2 point conversions along with it, all in the final quarter, and then go into overtime to win it. Amazing.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@spacehayduke said:

I agree Atlanta choked, but it was still a great performance by Brady, taking advantage of the opportunity.

Greatest comeback I've ever seen in any NFL game, considering all the circumstances involved, especially being the Super Bowl. Not only scoring two TD's, but having to make two 2 point conversions along with it, all in the final quarter, and then go into overtime to win it. Amazing.

Frank Reich think you should watch his game again.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

WHAT? Brady "lost" five times in the early rounds and three times in the SB from 2005-2013. That's nine straight years "he" didn't win the SB.

Again WHAT? If a SB victory is a team accomplishment then more additional appearances would be a team accomplishment as well.

I don't argue that Brady isn't one of the greatest of all time and perhaps the GOAT, but let's be realistic. He also has 11 post season losses, looks like the second "worst" all-time, behind Peyton Manning. Another GOAT contender.

I brought up that it makes a more successful season for a team to loose in the SB than either not make the playoffs or loose in an earlier round because of your comment above," Montana. Perfect record. Correct answer. ;-)"

He did have that perfect record in the SB, but he lost earlier more often than Bradys teams did.

SBs are a team accomplishment, but with notably few examples, the most important position on the field is QB.

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@spacehayduke said:

Frank Reich think you should watch his game again.

Of course that was a great comeback. But Brady's was better, in my opinion much better. Especially because it all happened in just the 4th quarter to tie it up, AND in the Super Bowl.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2021 11:45AM

I've watched every QB since the early 60's when I was a college student.

For pure 4th quarter excitement no one holds a candle to Broadway Joe. He was magic!

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@spacehayduke said:

100% agreed. But still the throws and management of the game even with Atlanta trying to lose it was undeniably a feat that not many QB’s could handle. I would say that about any QB doing what Brady did in that game.

that game was unique in its circumstances with probably never another chance for someone to attempt the same thing looming on the horizon. in that regard, Tom Brady responded to a situation that can't be compared to anything by anyone before or since.

@stevek said:

;-)

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Montana

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

;-)

That was a great episode.

@thisistheshow said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

;-)

That was a great episode.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0620619/

The Brady Bunch (TV Series)
    Joe Namath

• Mail Order Hero (1973) ... Joe Namath

Looks like Joe had a fairly decent career of TV show appearances.

Not a big surprise considering his charisma and fame.