Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin World reports new 2014-D Dollar mule certified!

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 15, 2021 12:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Coin World Online is reporting that NGC has certified a 2014-D dollar with the undated Sacagawea dollar obverse and the Statue of Liberty reverse found on Presidential Dollars! The coin is slightly circulated, having been found in a group of used dollars obtained at a bank.

Check your rolls and bags and who knows, maybe even Mint Sets just in case!

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that a day ago. I wonder if it was shenanigans?

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 2:57PM
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be honest, I've been asleep for so long on this series, I don't think I would have recognized it as a mule without this article pointing it out to me.

These coins circulate so infrequently that it is entirely plausible there are more out there to be discovered. Since it's a Denver issue, I don't think I'll be rushing to any east coast banks looking for rolls to search, but good luck to those inthe hunt.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

My bank routinely saves me all dollar coins and half dollars. I keep hoping to find a Cheerios dollar in the wild. Yeah, right!

Even though I could drive to the Denver Mint in less than half an hour the stray dollars I see are at least one-third P-mint coins. And I find a fair number of the modern years that were only released in Mint Sets, rolls and bags. So, a 2014 Mule is possible.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... What a cool find. I guess a trip to the Post Office is in order...Do they still give change in Sac/Prez bucks? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Wow... What a cool find. I guess a trip to the Post Office is in order...Do they still give change in Sac/Prez bucks? Cheers, RickO

Time to ride the light rail......kiosks loaded with Prez $1's.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

COOL!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

By 2014 weren't all dollar coins available from the mint only?

If so, the collector who released this one might well have others.

I guess it is time to start taking all the small dollars the tellers are always trying to foist on me.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

a real boost and motivator to the CR searchers

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Guess I'll have to hit my bank again tomorrow to clean out their accumulations.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's amazing that the Quarter Sac mules have sold for over $100,000!

William T. Gibbs wrote:

Examples of the Washington quarter dollar-Sacagawea dollar mule have realized more than $100,000. Slightly under 20 examples of that coin are known.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any guesses of the value of this new mule?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 8:51AM

Mint shenanigans. I'd rather have Dan Carr make them for us.

• Options

My gut feeling is that it is legit.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool find. I passed on the earlier mules at auction thinking they might get confiscated - should have jumped in with both feet!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Pretty cool find. I passed on the earlier mules at auction thinking they might get confiscated - should have jumped in with both feet!

It is interesting to figure out what gets confiscated and what doesn't.

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

If I was that person who discovered it. I would sell it for 25,000 and move on before more are discovered.

• Options
    edited January 18, 2021 1:59PM

@Panda4456 said:
    If I was that person who discovered it. I would sell it for 25,000 and move on before more are discovered.

It was struck in 2014 so how many more do you think there are?

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 11:34AM

Does anyone know if it has edge lettering?!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:

Yes. That is how they know it is a 2014-D.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

This news even made me go check my 2014 Mint Set! But no dice.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@Kurisu said:

Yes. That is how they know it is a 2014-D.

One of those Doh! senior moments for me...excellent thanks! Lol!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm tempted to open my 100 coin mint sealed bag of 2014 D's.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Wonder what you could sell the bag for. Run it up the flag pole with a reserve. See if anyone salutes.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@derryb said:

Well, since these were not issued for general circulation but the discovery piece was found in the wild, there is a good chance that it came out in one such bag and got spent. If it were mine I would open it.

• Options
    edited January 19, 2021 8:13AM

Had to come from a mint order, either bag or roll. A collector probably looking for missing edge lettering who spends those with lettering.

does anyone know if the mint still ships $1000 bricks of dollar coins to fed reserve banks for distribution like they did with the early presidential dollars? Found hundreds of Missing Edge Lettering Washington dollars from such bricks from my local banks when the Prezzies first came out.

One of my finds:

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t get excited for an error form a series I can’t get excited for. Coins that don’t circulate are more like commemoratives than currency and commemorative do next to nothing for me. Might as well be collector plates

• Options
    edited January 22, 2021 6:31PM

And how does the TPG know it's a SAC? Could be one of four different 2014 presidential dollars with a SAC obverse.

• Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    And how does the TPG know it's a SAC? Could be one of four different 2014 presidential dollars with a SAC obverse.

Maybe the determination is made simply based on whatever the obverse is?

• Options
    edited January 22, 2021 9:57PM

@eCoinquest said:

@derryb said:

Appears so. Purpose of the question was to point out that maybe the search should include rolls and bags of the four president issues for that year.

• Options

@derryb said:

@eCoinquest said:

@derryb said:

Appears so. Purpose of the question was to point out that maybe the search should include rolls and bags of the four president issues for that year.

I thought that was obvious. Check any and all 2014-D dollars.

• Options

Hello everyone, do you think will this double denomination error be valid? 🤭

• Options

DDO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file