Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there an uptick in price when a coin reaches the 100 year old mark?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

For example, will coins dated 1921 see more of an interest in 2021 and thus a price increase may not have generally seen otherwise?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

You bet it goes up 100 pct!

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think as far as the date 1921 goes, it got a 50 year head start for most issues!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a very minor effect at best.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    I think it's a very minor effect at best.

Agree. Coins that reach the century mark are certainly neat but I've never noticed an increase in price once it reaches that milestone.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was more of a price uptick (though minimal) at the year 2000, for coins from 1900 to pair with the new ones. For 2021 it will be the new designs. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

We didn't really see such an uptick in 2009 with the 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln cent.
    In fact, I think prices went down.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    We didn't really see such an uptick in 2009 with the 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln cent.

I respectfully disagree. That's about the time I joined the forums as a Lincoln collector, and I recall there being strong interest, especially with the Matte Proofs which were red hot. Most of the talk on the registry forum was about Lincolns.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably ups the price on this 102-year-old error coin ....

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2021 9:03AM

I remember wondering the same thing at the turn of the century. I thought that maybe coins from the 1800s might increase in price. I observed no changes in price due to the arrival of the new millennium.

As we know, rarity, rather than age of the coin, rules the day.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

It depends. There was a lot of promotion around the 100-year anniversary of the Lincoln Cent in 2009, and prices for certain early Lincolns increased in the short term. However, that only lasted for a bit, and prices fell off.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reaching the 100 year mark does not seem to make much difference in the price from what I have seen.

When I was a YN, I thought that the turning 100 was a big thing for a coin. Back then the new centenarians were in the 1860s, and since I was collecting Indian cents, I had new member of the club every year. Now it’s no big deal. Since I collect few 20th century coins by date, my new 100 year old coins don’t amount to much.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lusterlover said:

@DCW said:

I respectfully disagree. That's about the time I joined the forums as a Lincoln collector, and I recall there being strong interest, especially with the Matte Proofs which were red hot. Most of the talk on the registry forum was about Lincolns.

You may be right. But I thought that happened a little earlier. And then MPL fell sharply

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like magic collectors swarm in when a coin reaches the 100 year mark, 99, 98 no dice, all competing to snap up coins that just turned 100 years old though in reality coins could have been minted before or after Jan. 1!

If this were true 1921 Peace dollars would be showing a big uptick as well as 1921 Morgan dollars.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

The least, they're not vintage anymore.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't looked at the numbers but suspect U.S. coins dated 17xx have some premium over early 19th c. pieces (all other things being equal).

As for the 100-year mark I don't think anyone much cares.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I don't think so.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins that is the coolest Buffalo error!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dealers I know have been seeing increased demand for 1921-dated Morgan and Peace dollars. I could see demand having an effect on those if enough people are buying them. My rule of thumb is value isn't related to age, rarity and demand drive it.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin that's reached the century mark seems to have a special attraction just as coins with a date that begins with "18" seems to be more cool than a coin that begins with "19" especially with non-collectors..

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to separate the 100 year mark from 100 year anniversaries.

In 2009, it was the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent and there were corresponding promotions which temporarily drive up prices on 1909 Indian and Lincoln cents. This year is the 100th anniversary of the Peace $ with corresponding interest in 1921 Peace and Morgan $s.

Does anyone remember the 100th anniversary promotion of 1910 Lincolns? The big price surge in 1920 Buffs?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

1913 5c was nothing like this if it was even something at all

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file