Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another presentation 1964 JFK half dollar, this one from a senator

2»

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 9:45PM

Here's some info on Birch Bayh from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_Bayh

Birch Evans Bayh Jr. (/baɪ/;[3] January 22, 1928 – March 14, 2019) was an American Democratic Party politician who served as U.S. Senator from Indiana from 1963 to 1981. He was first elected to office in 1954, when he won election to the Indiana House of Representatives; in 1958, he was elected Speaker, the youngest person to hold that office in the state's history. In 1962, he ran for the U.S. Senate, narrowly defeating incumbent Republican Homer E. Capehart. Shortly after entering the Senate, he became Chairman of the Subcommittee on Constitutional Amendments, and in that role authored two constitutional amendments: the twenty-fifth—which establishes procedures for an orderly transition of power in the case of the death, disability, or resignation of the President of the United States—and the twenty-sixth, which lowered the voting age to 18 throughout the United States. He is the only non–Founding Father to have authored two constitutional amendments. Bayh also led unsuccessful efforts to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment and eliminate the Electoral College.

There's also interesting information on his relationship with the Kennedys.

On June 19, 1964, Bayh, his wife, Senator Ted Kennedy and legislative aide Edward Moss were on a small plane that crashed near Springfield, Massachusetts.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked closely, and it is not an Accented Hair Kennedy - so I am not really interested ;) Actually, an interesting coin with history that ties to the issue of the coin itself. I would keep it as is... Cheers, RickO

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MasonG said:

@Zoins said:
    Read the text on the token :)

I read it. As long as the slab included the provenance, why would it matter if the token was removed?

The JFK half dollar doesn't say it comes taped to cardboard ;)

But it did come that way, which is part of its history and presentation.

This is part of the history and presentation of the 1913 Liberty Head nickels as it used to hold them all. Unfortunately, not a single one is stored it in anymore :(

To me, the cardboard is more like this holder than the cocoabola wood.

It's okay for different people to value the cardboard differently.

How cool would it be to display that holder with one (or more) of the 1913 nickels in it?! But alas, I only got halfway there.😉

I do think it would be nice, but the current owners of the nickels apparently do not.

This holder did sell for over $10K. I don't think the cardboard would go for that much.

I know what that holder sold for. You do k > @ricko said:

I checked closely, and it is not an Accented Hair Kennedy - so I am not really interested ;) Actually, an interesting coin with history that ties to the issue of the coin itself. I would keep it as is... Cheers, RickO

Only the proofs include Accented Hair examples.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 6:13AM

@MFeld said:

Thus far; new discoveries do occur. Undiscovered varieties and errors keep the hobby interesting.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keeping the whole thing intact, with the letter and coin attached to the cardboard, is what gives the package value. Otherwise it’s just another 1964 half dollar with Scotch Tape toning. Don’t get obsessed with certification. That is not where the value of this item lies.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to understand the coin itself is NOT the rarity here.

@derryb said:

@MFeld said:

Thus far; new discoveries do occur. Undiscovered varieties and errors keep the hobby interesting.

That’s true, but are you advocating that people always use a disclaimer when discussing known issues and varieties? There are a number of coins which exist, despite a lack of official records. So in theory, there could be numerous others. But unless or until they’re discovered, I’m good without disclaimers.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 8:32AM

No disclaimer required. However, you make it sound as if it is a definitive fact that has been confirmed by a reliable source such as the issuing mint.

How about "Accented Hair variety has only been found in the proofs."

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• VeepVeep Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭

As a collector, I would not value this as much as I would have if the coin had been taped to the letter. Having it taped to cardboard leaves the door cracked slightly open that something happened to the original coin and this is a substitute.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@MWallace said:
    Here's an AP Wire photo of the 1st Day Issued, March 24, 1964.

Notice all the people staring at their phones.. I mean newspapers. And who is that lady standing between @Ricko & @Keets on the corner :D

What are these "newspapers" you speak of? :D

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh the ironies in that photo....

Looking at the men's heads I see that the older generation was still wearing hats and the younger generations were not. Hats were standard for men up until a few years earlier. (I love the old mugshots where one of the angles always showed them with a hat on).

Nowadays, the younger generations would all be wearing baseball caps, unless it was really cold and anyone might wearing a winter hat.

edited January 3, 2021 9:38AM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MasonG said:

@Zoins said:
    Read the text on the token :)

I read it. As long as the slab included the provenance, why would it matter if the token was removed?

The JFK half dollar doesn't say it comes taped to cardboard ;)

But it did come that way, which is part of its history and presentation.

This is part of the history and presentation of the 1913 Liberty Head nickels as it used to hold them all. Unfortunately, not a single one is stored it in anymore :(

To me, the cardboard is more like this holder than the cocoabola wood.

It's okay for different people to value the cardboard differently.

How cool would it be to display that holder with one (or more) of the 1913 nickels in it?! But alas, I only got halfway there.😉

I do think it would be nice, but the current owners of the nickels apparently do not.

This holder did sell for over $10K. I don't think the cardboard would go for that much.

I know what that holder sold for. You do k

But neither of us know for sure what the holder in the OP would sell for without the coin. That comparison was the jist of that post.

I speculated it wouldn't be worth much without the coin. Any thoughts?

edited January 3, 2021 9:24AM

It may be useful to put some numbers against this to get a feel for the magnitude of difference.

What would people pay for this on the cardboard vs. in a slab?

edited January 3, 2021 9:46AM

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:
    It is a 1964 JFK half that was sent by Senator Birch Bayh to a constituent.

What I want to know is who is Miller Carbon and why he was chosen to receive this :)

Miller Carbon was treasurer of the Indiana Young Democrats in 1863. Birch was the first term Democratic US Senator for Indiana so it makes sense that they would have a relationship.

The Terre Haute Tribune from Terre Haute, Indiana · Page 33
    Publication: The Terre Haute Tribune
    Issue Date: Thursday, September 19, 1963
    Page: Page 33

... America will be held in Terre Haute the weekend of Oct. 18-20, according to announcement made by Miller Carbon, treasurer of the Indiana Young Democrats ...

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/90515172/

In 1957, he was a member of the Indiana State Teachers College Commerce Club. Here's a photo where Miller Carbon is in the last row, send from the right.

Commerce Club

As its primary purpose Commerce Club aimed at stimulating educational and professional growth in the field of commerce. This club also enables business education students to become better acquainted with other students and with professors in the field.
    [...]
    Row 6: Susie Kerr, Robert Hinshaw, Jessie Van Leer, Roy Walton, Damian Macey, Richard Schoeder, Albert Vogel, Dick Ballinger, Miller Carbon, Dick Ouweneel (1957 Sycamore, page 23)

https://www.indstate.edu/business/history/yearbooks/1950

edited January 3, 2021 9:45AM

Here's a better photo of Miller Carbon, also from Indiana State Teachers College.

Members of the Young Democrats Club.

Seated, from left to right, are Jane Curley, Normal Stohr, Margaret Owens, Gloria Howell, Shirely Brewer, Joan Pennington, Libby Skinner, Phyllis Bates, and Louise Clarke.

Standing, from left to right, are Jack R. Needham, Miller Carbon, Rudy Harrison, Robert Lucas, and Larry Oliver.

I'm guessing my posts are increasing the value of this ;)

http://visions.indstate.edu:8888/cdm/ref/collection/isuarchive/id/50794

edited January 3, 2021 9:59AM

It also looks like Miller Carbon ran for Indiana Democratic State Representative in 1962. I haven't found any indication that he won.

The Terre Haute Star from Terre Haute, Indiana · Page 4
    Publication: The Terre Haute Star
    Issue Date: Monday, May 7, 1962
    Page: Page 4

VOTE FOR E. MILLER CARBON DEMOCRAT STATE REPRESENTATIVE Son of the late Albert J. Carbon, Sr. Life-long resident of Terre Haute, father of two children and resides at 87 Potomac. He is a member of St. Patrick Church. He is engaged in real estate business for J. B. Pfister Co. and a member of Terre Haute Board of Realtors. Other memberships include Vigo County Young Democrats, Terre Haute Noon Optimist Club, B. P. 0. E. No. 86 and K. of C. No. 541. Just one interest in mind YOURS VOTING MACHINE NO. 14C For a greater and prosperous Vigo County. A PAID POLITICAL ADVERTISEMENT.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/10338305/

His full name is Ernest Miller Carbon (1936-1989):

• Born: 22 March 1936, Indiana
    • Died: 15 September 1989, Jefferson, Kentucky

https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/LDH3-6YB/ernest-miller-carbon-1936-1989

@Zoins said:
    Here's a better photo of Miller Carbon, also from Indiana State Teachers College.

Seated, from left to right, are Jane Curley, Normal Stohr, Margaret Owens, Gloria Howell, Shirely Brewer, Joan Pennington, Libby Skinner, Phyllis Bates, and Louise Clarke.

Standing, from left to right, are Jack R. Needham, Miller Carbon, Rudy Harrison, Robert Lucas, and Larry Oliver.

Would I be nitpicking if I said “decreasing” instead of “increasing”? 😄

edited January 3, 2021 10:25AM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

No you wouldn't as they are very different, opposite, outcomes.

Do you not think the history of Miller Carbon is valuable? Perhaps you believe the information indicates a less prominent person than one would otherwise guess?

It's certainly possible that the information causes a decrease, rather than an increase, in interest and value as you suggest.

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

No you wouldn't as they are very different, opposite, outcomes.

Do you not think the history of Carbon Miller is valuable? Perhaps you believe the information indicates a less prominent person than one would otherwise guess?

I was joking. But to answer your question, the identity of the person isn’t a big deal to me, either way, though it certainly might be for others.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 12:29PM

One thing I have learned is that you never know what little detail might appeal to someone. In any case, I assumed it was an anonymous constituent, so any additional identification is a plus.

Thx @Zoins for the detective work. I will have to print some of it off to keep with the coin and letter. I guess my Presentation JFK Coin file just went from a plastic sleeve to a small folder. :D

The letter and coin sat out on Ebay for months with a BIN price of $30. I finally pulled the trigger by offering $25 and my offer was automatically accepted, which you don't see too often (how much lower could I have gone, I wonder). Another $5 or so for shipping and here we are.

So, I'm happy to have it for the historical numismatic connection.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

On eBay for "months"!?!? What took you so long? :)

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

And who is that lady standing between @Ricko & @Keets on the corner

that's Maya Angelou having a bad hair day. we struck up a conversation with her, she'd snuck back to the US in cognito just for the release date. B)

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that explains a lot...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file