Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who is General Quarters?

I only play one video game, World of Warships, and at the beginning of each battle there is a call to General Quarters.

Here is your chance to be creative...Who is General Quarters and why is he so popular?

Comments

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

General Washington, of course!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears that “general quarters” is a synonym for “battle stations,” and it’s an order for everyone to get to their stations to prepare for battle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_quarters

And how is WOWS going right now? I haven’t played it since late spring but from what I’ve gathered, the game’s owners are trying their best to make the game worse.

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

General Quarters - Harbinger of change and liberator of Funyuns everywhere!

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

General Quarters has an unusual theme song upon entering any situation warranting it.

By David Poyer

The bonging went on and on, echoing the length of the ship. The boatswain leaned to the 1MC. “Now general quarters, general quarters, all hands man your battle stations. General quarters traffic route, up and forward to starboard; aft and down to port. Set material condition Zebra throughout the ship. Now general quarters!

http://cimsec.org/the-general-quarters-drill/46300

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

@NSP said:
    And how is WOWS going right now? I haven’t played it since late spring but from what I’ve gathered, the game’s owners are trying their best to make the game worse.

I've been playing since open beta...There's always good and bad. Come back after you take some time off.
    IGN- BearlyHereBear

• remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

General Quarters is the place where Generals sleep on base.

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...drawn and quartered after an embarrassing surrender? ;)

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

As contrasted to specific quarters?

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a few good ones in here :D

Mine is lame, but I had a long day wheeling in the mountains and its the best I can come up with right now

General Quarters are the ones no one wants but everyone spends, as opposed to Specific Quarters, which are on everyone's watch list

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's the guy who hates Will and is always yelling to fire at him.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who has been in the Navy and served aboard ships, knows what General Quarters are.... A call to battle stations.... Everyone has assigned areas. Often performed as a drill (and the call would be followed by 'This is a drill'...Though I have heard it when NOT a drill. Puts a bit of a chill down the spine. Cheers, RickO

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

A close friend of General Mills.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    A call to battle stations.... Everyone has assigned areas. Often performed as a drill (and the call would be followed by 'This is a drill'...Though I have heard it when NOT a drill. Puts a bit of a chill down the spine. Cheers, RickO

I can only try to imagine what that is like.

Endless training over weeks/months/years and its always a drill, and then all of a sudden that disclaimer is omitted.

I imagine at least for a second or two everyone looks at each other to make sure they didn't miss the "drill" announcement.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not as bad as being a missile commander in the Air Force. For your whole career you know that you will never do your job, but when you do its the last thing you'll ever do.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

Come on guys...loosen up and be creative. It's not a serious query.

Isn't he the Cousin of Private Parts?

Didn't he get Divorced from his wife Major Paine?

His met his new wife at the O club, Major Slu----

I had better stop before I get the Ban Hammer

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cousin of General Confusion. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The boatswain leaned to the 1MC

this post is funny, I enjoy hearing the uninitiated pronounce "boatswain" the first time!! :p

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Anyone who has been in the Navy and served aboard ships, knows what General Quarters are.... A call to battle stations.... Everyone has assigned areas. Often performed as a drill (and the call would be followed by 'This is a drill'...Though I have heard it when NOT a drill. Puts a bit of a chill down the spine. Cheers, RickO

that chill still remains today when I hear the phrase "This is not a Drill" especially if it were me piping this over the 1mc
    USN 1970-1976 E5 BM :#

Kennedys are my quest...

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2021 9:51AM

I believe General Quarters is the direct third cousin of Brigadier Farthing

:D Lame, I know :D

And as USN Veteran I totally understand the feeling of the words, "this in NOT a drill"

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file