Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are you OCD enough to pass on a coin due to the holder

3stars3stars Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a type set (Maundy coins) that is currently all PCGS slabbed, but found a great set in another company's holder, which makes me not want to get it. The economics of getting it crossed don't work. Have you ever passed on a coin due to its holder so that your set is matched? There are two main dealers of these online, one does PCGS slabbed but is overpriced by a lot, the other does NGC and is high but not too bad, which is too bad... Ebay has been a decent venue, but reasonably priced material is few and far between.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

• CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes...

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, read the sig line.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

The short answer is No...

There was a time when NGC slabbed Maundy sets in a multi -coin holder. Those are very cool especially for Maundy coinage. I am not certain they still offer that service. I think I submitted 4-5 sets that are slabbed in the multi-coin holder. For whatever reason, I don't see too many of the maundy sets in the multi coin NGC slab

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have certainly passed on a coin because of its holder. I prefer PCGS’s standards although I certainly understand NGC and others do a fine job by their standards. If I see something in a different holder then I have to consider if I’m cracking it out for a raw set or consider the cost/possibility of crossing.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 12:41PM

I just buy the coin, but it goes to PCGS for a new holder/TrueView
    Cracking seems to be better than crossing lately.

I'm getting a one point hit on raw submissions & crosses now.
    Good news is that I'm killing it on CoinFacts. :D

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

How rare is it?

If it's relatively common, I'll wait to a nice specimen shows up in a PCGS holder with a TrueView.

If it's uncommon, I'll buy it in any holder or not in a holder.

• goldengolden Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I do not even look at coins that are not in PCGS slabs. The expense and trouble of getting a coin in a PCGS slab is not worth it to me. If the coin does not cross then you have another problem.

• EdGOhioEdGOhio Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

I've been stressed by you folks here and elsewhere "It's the coin, not the plastic it's in" and while still in learning mode myself I find that places put a crazy high premium on coins slabbed by the Top 3 TPGs that I'm simply not going to pay.
    So, short answer.....No

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.

• Albert Einstein
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

:)

• jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭

no

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

personally, I'd by the coin no matter which holder it's in - could always pick up the ngc holdered coin and find someone to trade same coin in the pcgs holder? #longgame

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes... :)

Young Numismatist/collector
    70 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 42 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 2:10PM

So far I am building my sets in NGC holders but if a key date/rare coin shows up and I know this will be it before another one shows up I will buy it. I have nothing against PCGS just happened this way due to availability (so far). As far as a case having damage it bothers me but I always ask first now when buying online I would say about 5% have damage anyways. I have other type holders to put those in if ever the case becomes worse over time I will not send a coin to the US from Canada to put in a new holder I don't care about it enough for that. I don't own coins that are $5000 and up so it makes it easier just to ignore it. Now if I had coins in the $5000 and up it would get on my nerves.

It relative to my budget now if I was a millionaire then I would send them in to get graded and that would be it. If I had coins in the $100 000 or up range I would travel and take a vacation and have them done while there. But hey not a millionaire and never will be.

Interest: Latin American history with an emphasis on colonial Mexico & Peru

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see for a rare date / coin buying regardless of slab, but for common widget type set items its far more easy to wait it out. Spending $150 or so to reholder a set worth $250 isn't cost effective and you'd never break even.

• AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

No, i collect coins, not holders.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just adjust my bid or offer by what it would cost me to get them crossed. Of course, if you don't trust your eye enough to make the grade call that's a different story!

@amwldcoin said:
    I just adjust my bid or offer by what it would cost me to get them crossed. Of course, if you don't trust your eye enough to make the grade call that's a different story!

In some cases this would mean offering 40% of asking price, so not really an option.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. NGC coins relating to a specific grade & series at one point were on average 1/2 point looser than their PCGS counterparts, and everyone knew it. For one specific series / grade, this was reflected in a $3K spread on the blue sheet. One the other series / grade not reflected on the blue sheet, the NGC counterpart was 45% cheaper than the PCGS coin.

Re the latter, the NGC coin looked every bit as good as one I saw in a PC holder to my eye, but the lack of marketability of the NGC coin, coupled with my never being able to cross anything at same grade with PCGS, made me pass. I would have considered buying the NGC coin at that price if it was stickered, but it was not.

When you're looking at spending what for you is serious money for a particular coin, you need to protect you investment to the extent possible.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • RarityRarity Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭

Buy the coin, not the holder but to be honest, I do prefer PCGS holder - especially when the holder is in pristine condition.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

I may be unwilling to pay as much for a lesser TPG. But if I like the coin I don't care whose plastic houses it.
    Lance.

@Justacommeman said:

And to the folks that say "I only buy coins, not holders" good for you but it's a wee bit condescending and myopic IMHO. It makes me chuckle.
    mark

ITs funny because the very same can be said of those who think like you. Do you also see that its a wee bit condescending and myopic to say you only buy coins in PCGS holders? Folks who think like that, and there are many here, make me chuckle, but I love them just the same, they leave lots of great coins on the table for others.

My Lincoln Registry

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 3:26PM

@coinbuf said:

@Justacommeman said:

And to the folks that say "I only buy coins, not holders" good for you but it's a wee bit condescending and myopic IMHO. It makes me chuckle.
    mark

ITs funny because the very same can be said of those who think like you. Do you also see that its a wee bit condescending and myopic to say you only buy coins in PCGS holders? Folks who think like that, and there are many here, make me chuckle, but I love them just the same, they leave lots of great coins on the table for others.

I don't buy coins in just PCGS holders. I buy coins in NGC holders as well. I just won't pay up for them and they will be immediately crossed. I learned my lesson the hard way over a long period of time. But hey, it's what makes a horse race. You do you and I'll do me. There is a vast universe of great federal coins out there and it affords the opportunity to be picky no matter how one rolls.

Happy collecting!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer PCGS coins. For the classic coins I will look at the coin and if I want it PCGS later I will cross later. I will pay a bit less for non-PCGS coins because of this expected cost.

For moderns that are not worth much if they were not in a top-pop holder, I buy PCGS only and do not look at the others. My Alaska state quarters are an example.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends...

I prefer PCGS graded coins when I'm working on a date/mm set. If it's a nice example of a relatively cheap coin, I'll usually pass, as I can find a similar example already in PCGS plastic.

If its an expensive/difficult coin, I'll buy it if I believe it will cross. I did this recently with an NGC VF20 1913-S Barber quarter. Fantastic example. I gave up looking for a PCGS piece that would fit the bill. It crossed over to PCGS as VF20 as well.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

For all of the people that say cross it - at what price point does this become not economically feasible - 10%, 20%? In my eyes if its going to cost me another 20% over the coins value crossing it becomes a bad deal.

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer PCGS to all others, however I would buy a coin in other holders if it's nice enough and the price is right. In fact, a lot of my collection was purchased raw and sent to Pcgs by me. I have done well that way on several coins.

Trade $'s
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only when I have gone for uniformity on VERY common coins. For example, I put a birth set together for my wife in NGC holders only because they displayed well in a five coin display box. All things being equal for scarcer coins I will lean towards PCGS/CAC for future resale, but then all things are never equal when it comes to things scarce or rare. I will cross only when the holder is damaged.

edited December 28, 2020 3:53PM

@3stars said:
    For all of the people that say cross it - at what price point does this become not economically feasible - 10%, 20%? In my eyes if its going to cost me another 20% over the coins value crossing it becomes a bad deal.

It's sort of a moving target. I might pay near PCGS price if I love it and it's stickered. To me it increase my odds in a cross at same grade. Otherwise I try to pay closer to next grade down when ever it's a linear situation and I love the coin. In both instances the common denominator is I have to love the coin. It doesn't mean I will pay full PCGS price for it as I know that pool is shallow.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

@coinbuf said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I don't buy coins in just PCGS holders. I buy coins in NGC holders as well. I just won't pay up for them and they will be immediately crossed. I learned my lesson the hard way over a long period of time. But hey, it's what makes a horse race. You do you and I'll do me. There is a vast universe of great federal coins out there and it affords the opportunity to be picky no matter how one rolls.

Happy collecting!

mark

I think you and I are actually in a very similar place when it comes to buying, I just skip the crossover.

My Lincoln Registry

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you collect samples and old holders, one passes on bad holders all the time. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman Wow, I’m still processing the word “myopic” and it’s use in a coin thread. Welcome back!

• earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to buy NGC coins more readily and have had good luck crossing on some high value coins. I have also downcrossed one coin. But, as my collection has become exclusively PCGS, I am very hesitant to buy NGC coins. Also, I have had a couple of NGC coins that were CAC that I was unable to cross even at a lower grade. Fortunately, it was on lower value coins. This was eye opening and made me more cautious. It’s definitely a tricky game to play. You have to be prepared for failure and or losses.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes for coins in my PCGS CAC sets. When I am buying gold in slabs near melt then NGC is often cheaper.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.
    I buy raw, ANACS, NGC, PCGS, SEGS, PCI, Joe Schmecatelli's Basement jobs, whatever.
    As long as I can turn it.
    Oh yeah, PCGS too.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for some it extends beyond the coin but to an opinion of what others may think. And we have moved closer to opinions shaping the coin instead of the coin shaping the opinion.

Govern yourselves accordingly...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

very rare for me to buy a non PCGS slabbed coin
    NGC coins to me are cheaper to obtain with matching grades between the two TPG's.
    I would rather spend the extra amount that it would cost me to have the coin crossed or re-slabbed into a PCGS holder on a coin that already is

Kennedys are my quest...

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some dark side series where NGC has a virtual stranglehold on the best pieces, so really there would not be a choice if you want the coin. That having been said, I marginally prefer PCGS but really study the coin and make the decision based on the coin's merits.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this from a different angle. I have never liked the quality and style of an NGC holder. They are also much easier to crack open. Ngc ='s VW......PCGS ='s Mercedes! :#

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2020 8:47AM

I've purchased coins in cracked PCGS holders, but have held off on ones where the coin might be damaged.

I run across more cracked holders from PCGS than other services. ANACS is probably second. I haven't run into cracked ATS or ICG holders.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.... I definitely look at the coin.... If the coin 'captures' me, I do not care what plastic it resides in. Since I do not sell coins, that is not a factor. All that being said, my preference is PCGS.... I have come to respect their grading, and certainly their place in the market hierarchy.... I do not sell coins, so I really do not consider that in my purchase. I keep coins for so long, that the increase in value will cover the loss in plastic if I do sell :D;) Cheers, RickO

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Yes. Yes. Yes. I gotta do things in threes as well

And to the folks that say "I only buy coins, not holders" good for you but it's a wee bit condescending and myopic IMHO. But, I used to think the same and I paid up for NGC coins I liked . I thought I was so smart and was actually a little smug about it. Then one day I tried to sell them. That was enlightening. I had to cross them ( a lot did) to extract full value. The ones I couldn't cross I took a bath on. So now I will buy NGC coins but it has to be at a discount no matter how great I think the coin is and then it immediately goes to PCGS.

1) I like uniformity and presentation.

2) I hate white prongs. Especially the fangs on small gold coins. So distracting

3) outside of the optics I'm not a huge fan of the newer PCGS slabs either.

4) I pretty much like to stick to purchases that have several things going for it.

A) Great coin
    B) older holder in pristine condition
    C) stickered
    D) Great coin

this keeps be from over buying and keeps my collection uniform. It works for me but probably doesn't for most. That's ok with me. I like to buy the coin and the holder and the sticker whenever possible . The whole enchilada.

mark

I've never done business with a dealer who claimed an NGC CAC coin was worth less because it wasn't in a PCGS CAC holder. However I know there is a few :*

edited December 29, 2020 12:41PM

@fiftysevener said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Yes. Yes. Yes. I gotta do things in threes as well

And to the folks that say "I only buy coins, not holders" good for you but it's a wee bit condescending and myopic IMHO. But, I used to think the same and I paid up for NGC coins I liked . I thought I was so smart and was actually a little smug about it. Then one day I tried to sell them. That was enlightening. I had to cross them ( a lot did) to extract full value. The ones I couldn't cross I took a bath on. So now I will buy NGC coins but it has to be at a discount no matter how great I think the coin is and then it immediately goes to PCGS.

1) I like uniformity and presentation.

2) I hate white prongs. Especially the fangs on small gold coins. So distracting

3) outside of the optics I'm not a huge fan of the newer PCGS slabs either.

4) I pretty much like to stick to purchases that have several things going for it.

A) Great coin
    B) older holder in pristine condition
    C) stickered
    D) Great coin

this keeps be from over buying and keeps my collection uniform. It works for me but probably doesn't for most. That's ok with me. I like to buy the coin and the holder and the sticker whenever possible . The whole enchilada.

mark

I've never done business with a dealer who claimed an NGC CAC coin was worth less because it wasn't in a PCGS CAC holder. However I know there is a few :*

Oh I do. Actually a lot. The exact words usually , "I'd like that coin better in a PCGS holder". I think in their heads they are thinking, "I have these customers for this coin but they will want PCGS/CAC".

Like it or not PCGS/CAC coins bring more $ as a whole then NGC/ CAC. Should it be that way? Probably not. For me it's as simple as I hate the NGC vessel and I'm a crossing . I won't pay the same price pound for pound for a NGC/ CAC coin as I would a PCGS/CAC so include me in that camp. I have to factor in the reality it may not cross.

m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file