Home U.S. Coin Forum

PL now or hold out for DMPL?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 7, 2021 8:33PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have some So-Called Dollars, tokens and medals from ATS which are DPL.

Is it worth crossing to PCGS for a potential PL or wait a few years, possibly a lot, for when they might add DMPL?

Is DMPL more likely now that PCGS is under new management?

I keep telling myself it's about the coin and not the holder, but I still really hate to lose my hard won ATS DPL status :)

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s the downside in waiting?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2020 7:51AM

@MFeld said:

No TrueViews.

It's "okay" without but it would be better with :)

PhotoVision has gotten a lot better so that's an option too.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to satisfy your inner collector... so make a decision. If it were me, I would leave it as is...Cheers, RickO

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

How difficult are the DMPL coins to find?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

do you need an insert to tell you the medal is DMPL or can you ascertain that by yourself?? buyers will make that same judgement. by now the SC$ market knows that NGC grades Mint State medals with those designations and that PCGS doesn't. some of what I sold earlier in 2020 included NGC PL/DPL's that were same grade crossed into a PCGS capsule and the prices were comparable.

edited December 17, 2020 1:41AM

@keets said:
    do you need an insert to tell you the medal is DMPL or can you ascertain that by yourself??

The insert certainly helps when buying sight unseen.

Beyond one's own coin, the other thing is to compare with others since many specimens aren't photographed, either on CoinFacts or on auction sites like Stack's and Heritage. When I look through the ATS Census, it still seems there no photos to be found for many of the specimens graded.

Given there's management at CU, I'm leaning towards waiting and see what comes.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

No TrueViews.

There are top quality photographers here who will give you images close to Trueview.

edited December 17, 2020 6:18AM

@logger7 said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

No TrueViews.

There are top quality photographers here who will give you images close to Trueview.

TrueView isn't just about the quality of the photos to me, but having it in CoinFacts and Cert Verification.

PhotoVision isn't on Cert Verification today but I imagine it will be one day.

edited February 7, 2021 8:50PM

I'm currently holding the following and the decision has to be to wait, no question.

• HK-349 NGC MS65 DPL POP 2/0
    • HK-131A NGC MS64 DPL POP 1/0
    • HK-495 NGC MS66 PL POP 1/0

It has nothing to do about price but proper designation.

Given that PCGS uses DMPL for Morgans, fractional gold and even ATB pucks, hopefully PCGS can add DMPL for all coins, tokens and medals. See the requests here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1049342/pcgs-please-bring-dmpl-to-all-coins-tokens-and-medals-like-cal-fractionals-atb-5oz-pucks#latest

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file