Home U.S. Coin Forum

Appreciating Thomas Harrison Garrett and John Work Garrett

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 3, 2023 11:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Thomas Harrison Garrett provenance is a strong one!

Post any T. Harrison Garrett pieces here.

Here's his biography from Stack's:

T. Harrison Garrett

Biographical notes relating to one of the presently offered coin's most famous owners may be of interest:

Thomas Harrison Garrett began his collecting interest as a student at Princeton in the 1860s, with a New Jersey copper being among his first acquisitions. A man from the wealthy family that controlled the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, he eagerly collected books, autographs, prints, and other items, including a double elephant folio set of Audubon prints, keeping and enjoying them at Evergreen House on North Charles Street in Baltimore. In the 1880s he was especially active, with Baltimore dentist and rare coin dealer Dr. George Massamore representing him at sales under various pseudonyms including "Hotchkiss," "South, "and "Harrison." Many collectors, particularly advanced ones, kept knowledge of their holdings and their needs a secret, thus hoping to acquire desired pieces at a lower price than would be the case if it had been known that they were missing from their cabinets. In 1885, his collection, which by that time had an 1804 dollar and the unique hallmark-on-breast 1787 Brasher doubloon, was considered to be second in importance only to that of Lorin G. Parmelee. In actuality, Garrett's collection was much broader and included world and ancient coins as well as tokens and medals, while Parmelee mainly concentrated on obtaining one of each date (but not mintmark varieties) of federal coinage. In the same year he acquired en bloc the James L. Claghorn collection of over 30,000 prints, paying the then remarkable figure of $150,000for it. Parmelee publicized and shared his holdings with others, while Garrett collected quietly. The true extent of his collection was not known to his contemporaries.

In 1888, Garrett died in a boating accident in Chesapeake Bay, thus cutting short the career of a remarkable numismatist and leaving a family to mourn his passing. His collection passed to one of his sons, Robert, who in 1919 traded it to another son, John Work Garrett. As noted above, the collection passed to The Johns Hopkins University. One of the greatest numismatic events of all time was our offering of the Garrett Collection at auction in a series of four sales from 1979 to 1981

Recently, I've started to run across more of his medals and So-Called Dollars which are all very impressive.

Here are some:

(Circa 1852-1854) Declaration of Independence Medal. Silver. 91 mm. 295.0 grams - Charles Cushing Wright - Musante GW-183, Baker-53G - PCGS SP63 TOP POP 1/0

Harrison acquired this for $36 which was then 1.74 ounces of gold.

In 2018, it sold for $40,800.

1876 U.S. Centennial Exposition. Exposition Building Dollar—Art Gallery. Silver. 43 mm. HK-83a. Rarity-8. MS-63 (PCGS).

This one is engraved by William H. Key.

The Centennial Art Gallery was housed in the Memorial Hall, one of the few buildings designed to be permanent.

One of the Centennial's most enduring legacies was its Art Gallery, which eventually became known as Memorial Hall. The building had been constructed as a permanent structure in 1874–75 for $1,564,000, intended to house more than 4,000 works of fine and applied arts.

https://www.philamuseum.org/information/45-154-18.html

From Wikipedia:

The Art Gallery building (now known as Memorial Hall) is the only large exhibit building still standing on the exposition site

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Exposition#Memorial_Hall

1876 George Lovett's Battle Series - Silver

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on this post, I would say his collection was very impressive.... Wow... Cheers, RickO

• Pioneer1Pioneer1 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I thought i'd post a link to my Lovett Battle Site Visits (got seven of eight before COVID-19 hit). Wish I owned a silver Lovett set but alas someone else now has a mind-boggling silver set.

http://www.so-calleddollar.com/discussions/topic/lovetts-eight-battles-dollars/

Lots of photos on Jeff's site of the visits....

A So-Called Dollar and Slug Collector... Previously "Pioneer" on this site...

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 2:08AM

The HK-83a Centennial Art Gallery in Silver was purchased by Jeff Shevlin and the headline coin in his June fixed price list, so now it is a Garrett-Shevlin piece.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

this post i like :)

• MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2020 12:28PM

@Pioneer1 I followed the link to what you posted and it was truly interesting. Thanks VERY much for the link. I hope you get to complete your battlefield visits as soon as possible. For those who have not checked out what Pioneer1 posted, I think it's worthwhile to check it out.

Mark

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    The Finest Known Example of the First $10 Gold Coin

1795 Capped Bust Right Eagle. Bass Dannreuther-4. Rarity-5. 13 Leaves. PCGS MS66+ - Stenz-Garrett-Pogue-Jung

Saw this one at the Pogue sale. One of most amazing U.S. coins in existence. I'd rank it in front of all the 1804 dollars and 1913 nickels (disregarding price of course). Originality is off the charts.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why disregard price? I think that coin should easily be worth more than all the 1913 dollars and most 1804 dollars. That it isn’t just seems like a market mistake to me (although I don’t know what the last sale price was)

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are some Garrett pieces I've owned.

1760 Voce Populi Halfpenny, 'P Before Face', AU55 [PCGS], Nelson-12 variety, considered to be Rarity-3. Ex Bowers October 1980 sale of the Garrett Collection, Part 3, lot #1280; earlier the collection of James Ellsworth; earlier Chapman's June 1914 sale of the George Parsons Collection.

1760 Voce Populi Halfpenny, 'Long Nose', AU50 [PCGS], Nelson 15 variety, the distinctive 'Long Nose' type. Ex Bowers October 1980 sale of the Garrett Collection, Part 3. lot #1278.

1796 Washington Repub. Ameri. Medal, PF64 [NGC], Baker-69, Breen-1278 variety, second obverse. Struck in Copper. Ex Bowers and Ruddy's March 1981 sale of the Garrett Collection, Part IV, lot #1759.

• Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1795 is just sick! Might be one of the top three greatest rare coins in existence.

• cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

I've been fortunate enough to handle several Garrett coins, and his collection was truly one of the best overall collection I've ever seen. I think many old time dealers/collectors can attest to this (including Mr. Eureka).

edited December 19, 2020 7:29PM

The 95 eagle was added to the Tyrant collection in 2019 per the Tyrant Collection website, but this still needs to be added to CoinFacts.

http://thetyrantcollection.com/portfolio-item/1795-10-capped-bust-13-leaves-pcgs-ms-66/

Cert # 31529825

Coin Number 4

Here is probably one of the most important surviving early coins of the United States of America. First off it is the highest denomination our newly formed Philadelphia Mint was authorized to strike. By this denomination, other countries would judge our coinage. Hence, the strictest standards would be adhered to, insuring each and every coin was of full weight and at least the required .9167 gold with the balance of copper for alloy. This coin hails from the George Stenz Collection, sold in 1880 to T. Harrison Garrett where it resided in Johns Hopkins University for 100 years. Then it was sold at auction to D. Brent Pogue where it stayed for 35 years until 2015 when this magnificent gem was purchased at auction by Oliver Jung.

It was purchased in 2019 for the Tyrant Collection. This if far and away the finest known of the date and type, and the only Capped Bust, Small Eagle to earn the MS-66+ grade from PCGS. The next finest is MS-65. The obverse and reverse are bathed in rich, coppery shades and abundant mint bloom. The luster radiates off the surfaces. Of course the strike is sharp and complete. There are no handling marks of any consequence, as expected to earn such a superlative grade. This coin survived far and away finer than any other known example of this first and most important type. It quality and eye appeal are absolutely stunning.

Ex Garrett/Pogue

Here's Oliver Jung's Registry Set description:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/complete-type-sets/complete-u-s-type-set-1792-1964/imagegallery/142775

Prooflike surfaces, no adjustment marks, free of any problems and saved right after striking. This coin is at least 2 grades better than any other 1795 eagle I saw, it just separates itself from anything else. Provenance: George Stenz Collection; Ed Frossard's sale of the Stenz Collection of Modern Coins, Medals and Tokens, February 1880, lot 636; T. Harrison Garrett Collection. This coin appears to have survived the adolescence of the American republic far from home, in Germany.

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    The 95 eagle was added to the Tyrant collection in 2019 per the Tyrant Collection website, but this still needs to be added to CoinFacts.

http://thetyrantcollection.com/portfolio-item/1795-10-capped-bust-13-leaves-pcgs-ms-66/

Cert # 31529825

Coin Number 4

Here is probably one of the most important surviving early coins of the United States of America. First off it is the highest denomination our newly formed Philadelphia Mint was authorized to strike. By this denomination, other countries would judge our coinage. Hence, the strictest standards would be adhered to, insuring each and every coin was of full weight and at least the required .9167 gold with the balance of copper for alloy. This coin hails from the George Stenz Collection, sold in 1880 to T. Harrison Garrett where it resided in Johns Hopkins University for 100 years. Then it was sold at auction to D. Brent Pogue where it stayed for 35 years until 2015 when this magnificent gem was purchased at auction by Oliver Jung.

It was purchased in 2019 for the Tyrant Collection. This if far and away the finest known of the date and type, and the only Capped Bust, Small Eagle to earn the MS-66+ grade from PCGS. The next finest is MS-65. The obverse and reverse are bathed in rich, coppery shades and abundant mint bloom. The luster radiates off the surfaces. Of course the strike is sharp and complete. There are no handling marks of any consequence, as expected to earn such a superlative grade. This coin survived far and away finer than any other known example of this first and most important type. It quality and eye appeal are absolutely stunning.

Ex Garrett/Pogue

Here's Oliver Jung's Registry Set description:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/complete-type-sets/complete-u-s-type-set-1792-1964/imagegallery/142775

Prooflike surfaces, no adjustment marks, free of any problems and saved right after striking. This coin is at least 2 grades better than any other 1795 eagle I saw, it just separates itself from anything else. Provenance: George Stenz Collection; Ed Frossard's sale of the Stenz Collection of Modern Coins, Medals and Tokens, February 1880, lot 636; T. Harrison Garrett Collection. This coin appears to have survived the adolescence of the American republic far from home, in Germany.

Tyrant's collection of $10s is incredible but the quality of the Ex. Jung/Garrett/Pogue coin really jumps out as being in a different world:

http://thetyrantcollection.com/eagles-of-the-tyrant/

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Pioneer1Pioneer1 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 12:33PM

@Mark said:
    @Pioneer1 I followed the link to what you posted and it was truly interesting. Thanks VERY much for the link. I hope you get to complete your battlefield visits as soon as possible. For those who have not checked out what Pioneer1 posted, I think it's worthwhile to check it out.

http://www.so-calleddollar.com/discussions/topic/lovetts-eight-battles-dollars/

Thank you. I will get to Trenton at some point as "the win the day after Christmas was a real shot in the arm" to the Patriots.

Since a number of Garrett pieces early on in this post relate to the 1876 US Centennial Expo, a good resource for looking at medals is Ron Alber's book at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/530604?page=0

It's a HUGE number of pages, but scroll down to the medals starting at Medal # 2820... and the pages just before ... there is a lot of good information. Of the 109 revolutionary war battles that occurred in 1776, Lovett memoralized just 8 of them (unknown selection criteria) and "his series scorecard fairly reflects the overall season for the Americans in 1776, with a score of 3 wins, 4 losses, and 1 draw." Alber's book has very well written battle descriptions. It was memorable to visit the sites.

A So-Called Dollar and Slug Collector... Previously "Pioneer" on this site...

• I still have it as my pictureofmyself coin and will keep it this way !

@MidLifeCrisis said:
    Here are some Garrett pieces I've owned.

Great coins and medals! It's great to see this side of Harrison :)

@privaterarecoincollector said:
    I still have it as my pictureofmyself coin and will keep it this way !

I would too! Great coin!

• Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who now owns the 1795 $10 ex Jung/Garrett/Pogue coin?

edited December 20, 2020 4:17PM

@Inspired70 said:

It's now in the Tyrant Collection.

There's some speculation that the Tyrant Collection is owned by George Soros.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Inspired70 said:

Uhmmm - no.

@tradedollarnut said:

@Zoins said:

@Inspired70 said:

Uhmmm - no.

One guess down :):+1:

edited December 27, 2020 4:42AM

1804 Bowed Liberty Dollar - Class III - Restrike - Double Struck - PCGS AU55 - Ex-Berg, Garrett, Sommer, Pogue

Here's the illustrious history of Harrison's Class 3 1804 dollar from the Pogue sale.

I like how the history of this piece goes back to Haseltine and Edward Cogan. I have a Cogan 1860 dealer token. It also makes me want to research O.H. Berg and Laura Sommer.

1. The Berg Specimen. 1859-1872: Believed to have been struck at the Philadelphia Mint during this time period.
    2. Ex Captain John W. Haseltine, 1875-1876, who displayed the coin at Edward Cogan's Jewett Sale, January 1876;
    3. O.H. Berg, 1876-circa 1883;
    4. J.W. Haseltine's sale of the Berg Collection, May 23-24, 1883, lot 568;
    5. George W. Cogan, agent for Thomas Harrison Garrett, 1883;
    6. T. Harrison Garrett, 1883-1888;
    7. Robert and John Work Garrett, by descent, 1888;
    8. Robert Garrett interest to John Work Garrett, 1919, transfer completed 1921;
    9. John Work Garrett, 1919-1942;
    10. The Johns Hopkins University, 1942-1980;
    11. our (Bowers and Ruddy's) sale of the Garrett Collection for the Johns Hopkins University, Part II, March 1980, lot 698;
    12. Pullen & Hanks (William Pullen and Larry Hanks), later in combination with Santa ("Sam") Colavita; Sam Colavita, 1980-1982, who purchased the interest of Pullen & Hanks on April 17, 1980;
    13. offered for sale through Texas dealer Ed Hipps;
    14. Pullen & Hanks' Long Beach Collector Series I Sale, February 1982, lot 1076, unsold;
    15. Sam Colavita, 1982, but continued on consignment with Pullen & Hanks, who in the same year transmitted it by private treaty to the following;
    16. Mike Levinson, acquired in trade for eight acres of land in El Paso, Texas, 1982-1984;
    17. Pennsylvania private collection, 1984-1986;
    18. our (Bowers and Merena's) Harry Einstein Collection sale, June 1986, lot 1736; Rarities Group, Inc. (Martin B. Paul), 1986;
    19. American Coin Portfolios (Dan Drykerman), November 1986, agent for the following;
    20. Mrs. Laura Sommer;
    21. private Southern California collector;
    22. our Chicago ANA Auction of August 2014, lot 13146;
    23. D. Brent Pogue.
    24. Duke Collection (PCGS Registry Set)

Here are the Stack's sales of this coin:

edited December 27, 2020 4:40AM

Stack's sold the 1804 dollar earlier when it was NGC PF55 with a different lot description.

It included a biography of Harrison which I included in the OP.

It also mentions our own @cardinal who can hopefully comment on the coin :)

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/1-1NA9O/1804-draped-bust-silver-dollar-class-iii-restrike-bb-306-second-reverse-proof-55-ngc

edited July 24, 2022 1:57AM

Here's a great medal from T. Harrison Garrett which is coming up.

Here's the provenance from Heritage:

1. Col. James William Ellsworth Collection;
    2. Garrett Collection (Bowers and Ruddy, 10/1980), lot 1325;
    3. Roper Collection (Stack's, 12/1983), lot 172;
    4. The John W. Adams Collection.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Very nice coin @bidask!

Love the condition and subject!

@Zoins said:

Good to update this to mention it's been revealed that the Tyrant collection is owned by Dan O'Dowd!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1072556/the-tyrant-revealed

edited January 3, 2023 6:57PM

This circa 1862 medal is from the Garrett Family collection sale in 1981. What are the possibilities it was purchased by Harrison?

Stack's Bowers said:
    Circa 1862 Washington in Semicircles and Stars / Birth and Death Medal by George H. Lovett. Musante GW-534, Baker-138. Copper. MS-67 BN (PCGS).

27.6. mm. Vivid rose, violet and blue toning over deep brown copper. Extremely sharp and prooflike with lovely eye appeal. A very rare issue represented in our online archives by just two specimens.

Provenance: From the Sydney F. Martin Collection. Earlier ex the Garrett Collection; our (Bowers and Ruddy's) sale of the Garrett Collection, Part IV, March 1981, lot 1791 (part); Stewart Witham; our (Bowers and Merena's) sale of the Witham and Sansoucy Collections, September 1992, lot 2141; David Hirsch Collection; Presidential Coin and Antique's sale of June 2011, lot 187.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    1876 George Lovett's Battle Series - Silver

love those consecutive certs!

always adds a special appreciation (for me) when i see a collection submitted together, still together.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is a Civil War token struck over an 1861 Seated Liberty Quarter. Purchased by T. Harrison Garret in one of Haseltine's 19th century auctions

One of the most fascinating pieces in my collection

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

edited January 3, 2023 6:53PM

The JL Bode Birstuffer piece is a great one @DCW! Glad you were able to pick it up when the chance arose as they don't come often!

This THG piece in silver is in my collection now. Amazingly, this building from the US Centennial Exposition survives today!

Here's THG's amazing 1807 half dollar, the finest of all 1807 dollars at PCGS.

Some quotes:

Garrett cataloger said:
    exceedingly sharply struck. A truly marvelous, exceptional, fantastic example from the viewpoint of both condition and striking. The rarity (in this state of preservation) and desirability of this piece cannot be overemphasized.

And from Paramount:

Paramount said in 1984:
    a truly marvelous coin from the Garrett Collection that surely ranks as one of the very finest known examples of this date or type.

edited January 3, 2023 11:36PM

Time to appreciate John Work Garret (JWG) as well! Here's one of his coins, which looks like a Trade Dollar but for use in the US!

It looks like JWG picked it up for $26 in Haseltine's sale of the Harold P. Newlin Collection in 1883. Think about what moderns from the US Mint store cost!

@Zoins JWG would have been 11 years old in 1883. That was probably purchased by T Harrison, too.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

@DCW said:
    @Zoins JWG would have been 11 years old in 1883. That was probably purchased by T Harrison, too.

Good catch Den! The provenance available from Heritage unfortunately doesn't say if it was purchased by the Garretts in 1883, but if it was, then it was likely THG as you mention. Interestingly, no provenance is mentioned for this coin in CoinFacts. Heritage just lists the following so some investigation is needed to capture when the Garrets acquired this.

Ex: Harold P. Newlin Collection (John W. Haseltine, 4/1883), lot 355, realized $26; John Work Garrett - Johns Hopkins University Collection (Stack's, 5/1976), lot 655.

Yes, probably bequeathed to JWG from his father. Interestingly, my token above was purchased in Haseltine’s 65th sale, March 1, 1883, lot 161.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

edited January 4, 2023 9:09AM

@DCW said:
    Yes, probably bequeathed to JWG from his father. Interestingly, my token above was purchased in Haseltine’s 65th sale, March 1, 1883, lot 161.

Very cool. I wonder how THG picked up my medal, as in was he walking around the US Centennial Exhibition and picked it up at a booth. The Stack's provenance in 2020 just says:

Provenance: From our sale of the Garrett Collection, March 1981, lot 2106.

Multi-generational collections are interesting to research this way.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@DCW said:

Very cool. I wonder how THG picked up my medal, as in was he walking around the US Centennial Exhibition and picked it up at a booth. The Stack's provenance in 2020 just says:

I see the March 1981 Bowers & Ruddy auction catalog, but just can't reach it without moving a bunch of banker boxes. Anyhow here's a Hard Times Token from the Garrett auction I sold last spring which includes the catalog copies of the original correspondence between T. Harrison and Lyman Low. Garrett never did anything with HTT's beyond just purchase this group lot from Low. Over the last 18 years of collecting HTT's I've handled 8 from the 1883 lot of 73.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    edited January 8, 2023 10:21AM

@Broadstruck said:

@Zoins said:

@DCW said:

I see the March 1981 Bowers & Ruddy auction catalog, but just can't reach it without moving a bunch of banker boxes. Anyhow here's a Hard Times Token from the Garrett auction I sold last spring which includes the catalog copies of the original correspondence between T. Harrison and Lyman Low. Garrett never did anything with HTT's beyond just purchase this group lot from Low. Over the last 18 years of collecting HTT's I've handled 8 from the 1883 lot of 73.

Wow! That's a lot of great info @Broadstruck! I love the historical documents. It would be interesting to see how many HTTs can be traced to Garrett and Low today.

edited January 8, 2023 10:30AM

Here's a nice coin that that was acquired by THG. Heritage lists Harrison, Robert and John Work as part of the provenance chain.

1856 Three Dollar - PCGS PR65+ DCAM - Ex. T. Harrison Garrett

Heritage said:
    T. Harrison Garrett; Robert Garrett (1888); John Work Garrett (1919); Garrett Collection -- Johns Hopkins University Collection (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 394, $21,000; Connoisseur's Collection (Superior Galleries, 1/1989), lot 338, $39,600; Jascha Heifetz Collection (Superior Galleries, 10/1989), lot 4242, $49,500; Boys Town Sale (Superior Galleries, 5/1990), lot 5506, $68,750.

edited January 11, 2023 6:25PM

This Garrett coin was just picked up by @DLHansen and posted into the Hansen Watch thread by @Currin:

1901 Liberty Head Double Eagle, PR66CAM
    PCGS POP 3/2
    Certification #45169105, PCGS #89117
    PCGS Value Guide: $300,000 / Unknown
    Ex: Garrett Collection

Provenance: Garrett Collection Part 2; (Bowers & Ruddy, 3/1980 as uncertified PR65), lot 800, realized $60,000; (CSNS) US Coin Auction, (Heritage, 4/2009 as NGC PF66 CAMEO, Cert #3211844-001), lot 2773, realized $92,000 (Not Sold); Purchased by David Lawrence Rare Coins for The D.L. Hansen Collection.

edited January 23, 2023 12:44AM

This Garrett coin just popped up:

1868 Indian Cent in Aluminum - Judd-612 - PCGS PR65+ Cameo - Ex. Sampson, Garrett, Simpson

Heritage mentions "H.G. Samson (2/1882)" but it seems likely that this is H.G. Sampson.

Heritage said:
    1868 Indian Cent in Aluminum
    Judd-612, PR65+ Cameo
    From the Garrett Collection

1868 P1C One Cent, Judd-612, Pollock-677, Low R.7, PR65+ Cameo PCGS. Ex: Garrett-Simpson. Struck from the regular-issue Indian Head cent dies in aluminum with a plain edge. Only about 10 to 12 examples of this aluminum Indian cent variety are thought to exist today. PCGS identifies this as the Garrett Collection coin that was sold in November 1979 as part of the 16-piece 1868 aluminum proof set in the first Garrett sale. A splendid Gem Cameo proof, this piece has fully mirrored light gray surfaces with excellent field-to-device contrast. This is the finest of just three Cameo proofs that PCGS has certified (1/21).

Ex: H.G. Samson (2/1882); Garrett Collection; Johns Hopkins University (Bowers and Ruddy, 11/1979), part of lot 396.

edited May 8, 2023 7:58PM

Here's another Thomas Harrison Garret coin in aluminum.

Currently, the insert only notes Harry W. Bass, Jr., and it isn't listed in the CoinFacts census.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46094786

The pedigree is listed as follows by Heritage:

Heritage said:
    Dr. Edward Maris; Maris Collection (H.P. Smith, 6/1886), lot 227; T. Harrison Garrett; Garrett Collection (Stack's, 3/1976), part of a complete set of aluminum stellas in lot 668; Harry W. Bass, Jr.; Harry W. Bass Foundation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file