Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Starting a 1978 OPC higher end set

softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 21, 2020 7:19PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The first 27. Not too shabby so far! :smile:
Only 242 cards in the set which feels like retirement after all the years chasing the 726 card ‘78 Topps issue!


ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


«1

Comments

  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭

    Nice looking cards. I wonder why they only made 242 cards?. Seeing them brought back memories of my childhood when I would flip these cards with my friends. Good luck.

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 5:48AM

    @pab1969 said:
    Nice looking cards. I wonder why they only made 242 cards?. Seeing them brought back memories of my childhood when I would flip these cards with my friends. Good luck.

    I have no answer for that question. Perhaps somebody like Grote as some info on that. I noticed that the OPC issues in the 60's were light on the checklist as well. 1966, 1967, and 1968 all have just 196 cards on the checklist.

    1970 through 1976 the checklist was the same amount or close to the Topps issue. In 1977 the count dropped off the cliff again to 264 and then the lowest count of the decade is 1978 OPC with just 242 cards. 1979 rings in at 374.

    I'm not building the set because it's so much easier with 242 cards. It just so happens that 1978 is my all time life long favorite. My 1978 Topps graded set is #11 on the registry and I just finished a high end raw set so it's time for OPC. Much thanks to Steve (balco) for being the source of the lions share that I have to sift through.

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 5:44AM

    Interesting that even though the checklist is a miniscule 242 cards they did make sure to include the EXPOS and BLUE JAYS managers card. For obvious reasons lol.

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

    I have a few pack fresh Hofers if you are interested shoot me an offer.

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 6:12AM

    @fattymacs said:
    I have a few pack fresh Hofers if you are interested shoot me an offer.

    Very cool! Should I need any of those I will hit you up once I'm done with the set in a week or two. Through the first 27 I'm already looking to upgrade #12 George Scott and #21 Eric Soderholm.

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • balco758balco758 Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭

    Dan don’t be shaving with some of those rough cuts!

  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

    Best of luck on the set. Will this be a complete raw set or are you looking for it to eventually be graded. One of the board members has the #1 graded set. Maybe he can answer the question why only 242 cards in the set. Once you get through all the cards, send me a PM on what you need, I have a bunch of high grade, but OC commons. You can have them for free, just pay the shipping.

  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

    The 242 comes from the set being printed on two sheets (264 cards) and each sheet having a row of double prints (22 cards total). You can tell Topps designed their sheets with OPC in mind, you see Blue Jay and Expos cards grouped together... including the team and manager cards being on a different sheet than the rest.

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jayhawke said:
    Best of luck on the set. Will this be a complete raw set or are you looking for it to eventually be graded. One of the board members has the #1 graded set. Maybe he can answer the question why only 242 cards in the set. Once you get through all the cards, send me a PM on what you need, I have a bunch of high grade, but OC commons. You can have them for free, just pay the shipping.

    Set will be 100% raw. As a matter of fact I’m cracking out a small amount of super looking PSA 7’s and 8’s that I just got back for this set. Thx for the post! I will see what I’m left looking for at the end in a couple weeks :)

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 2:30PM

    Good luck with it! I've never collected OPC but for some odd reason, I have always liked the rough cuts.... :)

  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @softparade said:

    @pab1969 said:
    Nice looking cards. I wonder why they only made 242 cards?. Seeing them brought back memories of my childhood when I would flip these cards with my friends. Good luck.

    I have no answer for that question. Perhaps somebody like Grote as some info on that. I noticed that the OPC issues in the 60's were light on the checklist as well. 1966, 1967, and 1968 all have just 196 cards on the checklist.

    1970 through 1976 the checklist was the same amount or close to the Topps issue. In 1977 the count dropped off the cliff again to 264 and then the lowest count of the decade is 1978 OPC with just 242 cards. 1979 rings in at 374.

    I'm not building the set because it's so much easier with 242 cards. It just so happens that 1978 is my all time life long favorite. My 1978 Topps graded set is #11 on the registry and I just finished a high end raw set so it's time for OPC. Much thanks to Steve (balco) for being the source of the lions share that I have to sift through.

    OPC sets mirrored Topps sets throughout the 1970s up until 1977 at which point they became much smaller...would be cool had OPC kept printing them with Topps and we'd have a 1978 Molitor RC and a 1980 Henderson RC!



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 6:29PM

    @grote15 said:

    @softparade said:

    @pab1969 said:
    Nice looking cards. I wonder why they only made 242 cards?. Seeing them brought back memories of my childhood when I would flip these cards with my friends. Good luck.

    I have no answer for that question. Perhaps somebody like Grote as some info on that. I noticed that the OPC issues in the 60's were light on the checklist as well. 1966, 1967, and 1968 all have just 196 cards on the checklist.

    1970 through 1976 the checklist was the same amount or close to the Topps issue. In 1977 the count dropped off the cliff again to 264 and then the lowest count of the decade is 1978 OPC with just 242 cards. 1979 rings in at 374.

    I'm not building the set because it's so much easier with 242 cards. It just so happens that 1978 is my all time life long favorite. My 1978 Topps graded set is #11 on the registry and I just finished a high end raw set so it's time for OPC. Much thanks to Steve (balco) for being the source of the lions share that I have to sift through.

    OPC sets mirrored Topps sets throughout the 1970s up until 1977 at which point they became much smaller...would be cool had OPC kept printing them with Topps and we'd have a 1978 Molitor RC and a 1980 Henderson RC!

    1970 Topps = 720 / OPC = 546

    1971 Topps = 752 / OPC = 752

    1972 Topps = 787 / OPC = 525

    1973 Topps = 660 / OPC = 660

    1974 Topps = 660 / OPC = 660

    1975 Topps = 660 / OPC = 660

    1976 Topps = 660 / OPC = 660

    1977 Topps = 660 / OPC = 264

    1978 Topps = 726 / OPC = 242

    1979 Topps = 726 / OPC = 374

    1980 Topps = 726 / OPC = 374

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’m nowhere near #154 yet but it’s HUGE to the set obviously and here is my specimen at the moment.


    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That's a really nice looking Murray, I think you have a solid shot at an 8+ with that one.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭✭

    @grote15 said:
    ........had OPC kept printing them with Topps and we'd have a 1978 Molitor RC and a 1980 Henderson RC!

    1972 OPC high numbers would have been awesome.



  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @nam812 said:

    @grote15 said:
    ........had OPC kept printing them with Topps and we'd have a 1978 Molitor RC and a 1980 Henderson RC!

    1972 OPC high numbers would have been awesome.

    Yes, Rose & Ryan, especially. Not sure why they cut down the sets so drastically after 1976, either. Maybe somebody here knows.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 8:18PM

    @grote15 said:
    That's a really nice looking Murray, I think you have a solid shot at an 8+ with that one.

    That's really reassuring hearing from you Tim!!! .... but I'm not grading it. RAW this effort will be and I'm cracking out this guy for it!

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I can appreciate a nice high end raw set! Here is my Murray, pack pulled from a long ago CU group rip.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

    Both Murray cards are exceptional for OPC.

  • balco758balco758 Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭

    Dan,
    Do I recognize that Murray? :)

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @balco758 said:
    Dan,
    Do I recognize that Murray? :)

    Yes, you do :DB)

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • 19541954 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭

    I am just now putting together all the OPC sets and I have really enjoyed them. I have a duplicate 1973 OPC set but still looking for the 1971 and 1972 to complete my 1970s run. Very tough to find I might add.
    Good luck with your 1978 OPC set. The Murray is extremely nice.

    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 9:12AM

    @1954 said:
    I am just now putting together all the OPC sets and I have really enjoyed them. I have a duplicate 1973 OPC set but still looking for the 1971 and 1972 to complete my 1970s run. Very tough to find I might add.
    Good luck with your 1978 OPC set. The Murray is extremely nice.

    Hey thanks for the comment and encouragement! That’s a incredibly tall order you are pursuing. Good luck!

    Here is 28 - 36
    Yount will need an upgrade. I’m not into diamond cuts. Somewhat OC is fine as long as the border is pretty squared up like the Don Gullett.

    Speaking of Gullett, I have a few suspicions he was double printed.

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • balco758balco758 Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭

    Since we are sharing OPC Eddie’s, here is mine that Dan didn’t steal from me, LOL. And Lefty and a few commons. All from rips.

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

    WOW THAT MURRAY IS SICK

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

    I'm sitting on at least 200 '78 Ron Guidry and Graig Nettles cards as well as dozens of each AS card from the 78 Topps set. Zero Murrays though. :) I wish I had some OPCs to share with you. I may break into my 78s just to see if I can come up with a good sub. I've been hit with a touch of 78 fever! B)

  • balco758balco758 Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭

    Think that Eddie has a good chance for a 9?

  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

    @balco758 said:
    Think that Eddie has a good chance for a 9?

    I think yours does from what I can tell. Is the back good?

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That sure as heck looks like 9 centering.

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bobbybakeriv said:
    I'm sitting on at least 200 '78 Ron Guidry and Graig Nettles cards as well as dozens of each AS card from the 78 Topps set. Zero Murrays though. :) I wish I had some OPCs to share with you. I may break into my 78s just to see if I can come up with a good sub. I've been hit with a touch of 78 fever! B)

    Definitely the kind a fever you want these days ;)

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • balco758balco758 Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭

    My Eddie has a peach fuzz / frayed top left corner. Back is 60/40. These days it’s probably at 8.5.

  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭✭

    @nam812 said:

    @grote15 said:
    ........had OPC kept printing them with Topps and we'd have a 1978 Molitor RC and a 1980 Henderson RC!

    1972 OPC high numbers would have been awesome.

    Would have been nice to have 1970 Hi-No as well so as to get a 1970 OPC Ryan (instead of just the Saves The Day card)

  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

    The thread made me go look for a few cards. Five of the Murray’s are OC, but mint corners and the other two have mint corners and would probably grade PSA 7’s. The Carew is a tough card to find in mint condition. I think this one has a shot at a “9”. If anyone has a Brett in mint condition, let me know.

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 4:20PM

    37 - 45

    38 Rozema will need an upgrade

    39 & 45 Kuiper and Valentine are spectacular!

    44 Cabell you could saw a redwood down with those OPC edges! :)

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭

    @grote15 said:
    Yes, Rose & Ryan, especially. Not sure why they cut down the sets so drastically after 1976, either. Maybe somebody here knows.

    It gets too cold in Canada to go outside after labor day, so the later series would not only be impossible to buy, they would also be impossible to ship to the stores without cold-resistant delivery robots.

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

    46 - 54
    Garvin will need an upgrade

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 8:47PM

    55 - 63

    Great sheet to highlight moderate OC cards that are squared up nicely. My personal preference over diamonds. Also note that '78 OPC seems to be skewed OC to the same side nearly ALL THE TIME.

    Parker is a great example of my tolerance for said diamonds as it’s oh so slight.

    Jose Morales wins the workmanlike blue collar card quality of this sheet! Typical OPC Canadian bias to their teams ;)

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

    I've always liked that Parker! B) I have a few nice Topps versions that I am going to sub one day.

  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 9:53PM

    @bobsbbcards said:

    @grote15 said:
    Yes, Rose & Ryan, especially. Not sure why they cut down the sets so drastically after 1976, either. Maybe somebody here knows.

    It gets too cold in Canada to go outside after labor day, so the later series would not only be impossible to buy, they would also be impossible to ship to the stores without cold-resistant delivery robots.

    But how do you explain full OPC sets mirroring Topps from 1973 through 1976. Something happened in 1977 that prompted OPC to reduce the set size by a considerable margin.

    In addition, by 1973 OPC sets were released as all series sets at one time.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 10:07PM

    @grote15 said:

    @bobsbbcards said:

    @grote15 said:
    Yes, Rose & Ryan, especially. Not sure why they cut down the sets so drastically after 1976, either. Maybe somebody here knows.

    It gets too cold in Canada to go outside after labor day, so the later series would not only be impossible to buy, they would also be impossible to ship to the stores without cold-resistant delivery robots.

    But how do you explain full OPC sets mirroring Topps from 1973 through 1976. Something happened in 1977 that prompted OPC to reduce the set size by a considerable margin.

    In addition, by 1973 OPC sets were released as all series sets at one time.

    Agree Tim. Something happened. If I had to take a stab at it, would lean to an age old phenomenon that transcends time. BAD MANAGMENT.

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • daltexdaltex Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

    Now that we've gotten slightly off topic, did OPC ever include any Blue Jays or Expos that Topps didn't?

  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @daltex said:
    Now that we've gotten slightly off topic, did OPC ever include any Blue Jays or Expos that Topps didn't?

    Yes, in 1977, I believe.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

    It's either 80 or 81 that OPC was on strike so the cards are harder to find? I think 74 too?

    Collector Focus

    ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

    Looks like someone is buying up ungraded singles from Burbank cards. I'm glad there is renewed interest in the set. When I first starting collecting this set, you could buy PSA 10's on the cheap. Other grades for basically the cost of grading.

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jackstraw said:
    It's either 80 or 81 that OPC was on strike so the cards are harder to find? I think 74 too?

    '81 would make sense ;)

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw
    3, 60, 100, 103, 263, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724


  • 19541954 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭

    1974 OPC is very tough.

    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭

    1977 OPC Blue Jays:

    13 Otto Velez [299]
    22 Gary Woods [492, Rookie Outfielders]
    32 Tom Bruno [no Topps card]
    40 Dave McKay [377]
    48 Bob Bailor [474, Rookie Shortstops]
    58 Blue Jays Coaches [113]
    67 Leon Hooten [478, Rookie Pitchers]
    76 Rick Cerone [no Topps card]
    85 Bill Singer [346]
    94 John Scott [473, Rookie Outfielders]
    103 Mike Willis [493, Rookie Pitchers]
    112 Doug Howard [no Topps card]
    121 Phil Roof [392]
    130 Pete Vuckovich [517]
    139 Dave Hilton [163]
    148 Alan Ashby [564]
    157 Chuck Hartenstein [416]
    166 Pedro Garcia [453, shown as Tiger]
    175 John Lowenstein [393, shown as Indian]
    184 Jesse Jefferson [326]
    202 Doug Ault [477, Rookie Infielders]
    211 Jim Mason [212]
    221 Sam Ewing [no Topps card]
    229 Dave Lemanczyk [611]
    238 Roy Harstfield [113, shown with coaches]
    247 Steve Hargan [37]
    256 Alvis Woods [479, Rookie Outfielders]

    The 1977 Topps set has #465 Rico Carty, #487 Rookie Pitchers w/ Larry Anderson, and #537 Dave Roberts.

  • balco758balco758 Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭

    I have fair amount of raw 77 OPCs if anyone is in need.

  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jackstraw said:
    It's either 80 or 81 that OPC was on strike so the cards are harder to find? I think 74 too?

    1974 & 1980



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’m not a collector of anything OPC but I do like the way they updated the team after trades. My first time seeing a 1978 Mets Willie Montanez!

Sign In or Register to comment.