Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the CAC; Proof Walking Liberty Half Edition. (Result Posted!)

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 21, 2020 9:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

NGC Graded PF65, NGC 4th gen fatty holder.

EDIT: Result posted here.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12763897/#Comment_12763897

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Guess the CAC; Proof Walking Liberty Half Edition. (Result Posted!)

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    No CAC

Lotsa votes, no comments! Almost off the first page already... That is the trouble with polls. Let me bump.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold CAC

Beautiful coin worthy of a higher grade.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green CAC

Nice proof Walker

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold CAC

1942 P. Common date, somewhat PL. The toning speaks to it's originality. JA likes that. The strike is very nice. He likes that too. No scuffs on the sun is a huge plus. The right field is also contact free based upon the picture. I think it's a solid MS 66 and got the gold.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold CAC

Close to cam; very tough to find coins this nice!

• Options
    No CAC

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    1942 P. Common date, somewhat PL. The toning speaks to it's originality. JA likes that. The strike is very nice. He likes that too. No scuffs on the sun is a huge plus. The right field is also contact free based upon the picture. I think it's a solid MS 66 and got the gold.

It's a proof.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green CAC

Nice example!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No CAC

Sorry, I hit the wrong selection. I meant to hit Green CAC. I didn't have any info on the Proof strike quality, but I assume as the 1942 is considered well struck in the business strikes available, I assume the proofs were also. Obviously, not being a Walker collector, I have noticed very view proofs and business strikes have full feathered legs, especially the forward left leg. The odd thing is the few I have seen on ebay don't seem to command a higher price while color seems to have no limits. Interesting and beautiful coin. Should have paid more attention to it years ago, but chose a different path.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No CAC

@logger7 said:
    Close to cam; very tough to find coins this nice!

Do you have any idea how hard the cams are in these? This one isnt even close. I dont particularly like the fields in this one as they look like business strike fields. Sorry to be harsh on the coin. Its not a terrible example, I just dont think its exceptional.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2020 10:02PM
    No CAC

Sorry to the coin owner. My gripe is with the US mint and their terrible strike quality on WLH proofs. Probably my favorite coin design. Certianly the obverse. And the proofs fall so short of what a glorious proof could have been. So many un-mirrored, weakly struck examples.
    Here;s a reference point for the poster who mentioned cameo. This example below (random ebay listing) would not make cameo.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020 10:41PM
    Green CAC

@ACop said:
    Sorry to the coin owner. My gripe is with the US mint and their terrible strike quality on WLH proofs. Probably my favorite coin design. Certianly the obverse. And the proofs fall so short of what a glorious proof could have been. So many un-mirrored, weakly struck examples.
    Here;s a reference point for the poster who mentioned cameo. This example below (random ebay listing) would not make cameo.

It's not really an issue of a weak strike so much as the dies being over polished to the point that fine details are worn away. This is very common on all 1936-1942 proof coinage and is not limited to the half dollars.

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    No CAC

Proof walkers are really tough to gauge from photographs alone.

I went with no cac because I prefer my proof walkers blast white.

Still a nice coin.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    No CAC

@cameonut2011 said:

@ACop said:

It's not really an issue of a weak strike so much as the dies being over polished to the point that fine details are worn away. This is very common on all 1936-1942 proof coinage and is not limited to the half dollars.

Yes, I wrongly highlighted the strike when I really mean to describe the minting process not just the strike on that first mention of strike quality. I later added weak strikes as list item but in general I am referring to the poor minting and misspoke. It seemed to stretch into the Franklin proofs as well.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 4:31AM

@CoinPhysicist said:

Still a nice coin.

Any kind of proof coin is generally tough to gauge from images. And it’s virtually impossible to make specific, meaningful grade assessments.

But what does your personal preference for “blast white” have to do with whether you think CAC would sticker the coin?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green CAC

I think it would get the green bean.... and such a great year ;) Nice coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold CAC

Took a WAG due to old holder and the coin seems nicer than a 65.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold CAC

Looks nicer than a 65 imo.
    My only complaint is some planchet marks that aren't fully struck out on the high points. I am not sure how CAC would feel about it.
    These pictures are huge if opened in a new tab.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    No CAC

@ChrisH821 said:
    My only complaint is some planchet marks that aren't fully struck out on the high points. I am not sure how CAC would feel about it.

Yeah, the strike could be better for a proof. Part of why I guessed no CAC myself.

I will post the results when I get the coin back. Should be tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    No CAC

@MFeld said:

@CoinPhysicist said:

Still a nice coin.

Any kind of proof coin is generally tough to gauge from images. And it’s virtually impossible to make specific, meaningful grade assessments.

But what does your personal preference for “blast white” have to do with whether you think CAC would sticker the coin?

Nothing, it was a guess if it CACed or not on a coin where using the photos it's really hard to guess. I made my guess using my criteria.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green CAC

Beautiful coin regardless.
    Based on the compilation of expert opinions I guess green bean.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@ChrisH821 said:

Yeah, the strike could be better for a proof. Part of why I guessed no CAC myself.

I will post the results when I get the coin back. Should be tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

Very rarely, could I imagine a strike on a Proof Walker being weak enough to prevent it from receiving a sticker. And this doesn't look like one of those excerptions. If the coin fails to sticker, it's highly doubtful that strike played any role.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green CAC

Looks nice regardless of the color of the sticker, or the lack thereof, whatever the outcome may be.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    Gold CAC

Were any of us right?

• Options
    No CAC

@ChrisH821 said:
    Were any of us right?

Hey, if USPS makes me wait for my coins to get back, you get to wait too haha. It looks HIGHLY probable they arrive tomorrow.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green CAC

@DelawareDoons said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    Were any of us right?

Hey, if USPS makes me wait for my coins to get back, you get to wait too haha. It looks HIGHLY probable they arrive tomorrow.

Can't you just do a cert lookup on the CAC website?

• Options
    No CAC

@CoinJunkie said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    Were any of us right?

I have the results, but I want to share a picture. :)

• Options
    Green CAC

Is this going to be like a gender reveal party where you pop a balloon and hope for gold chalk dust?

• Options
    No CAC

@clarkbar04 said:
    Is this going to be like a gender reveal party where you pop a balloon and hope for gold chalk dust?

If you wanna wait another day I can probably do that.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green CAC

@DelawareDoons said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    Were any of us right?

Must be a gold sticker then... :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green CAC

Nice coin!

• Options
    No CAC

@CoinJunkie said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    Were any of us right?

Must be a gold sticker then... :)

B)

• Options
    Green CAC

@DelawareDoons said:

@clarkbar04 said:

If you wanna wait another day I can probably do that.

Kinda seems like you have to now!

• Options
    No CAC

This wait is ridiculous. Here is the result. The coins are stuck in a local USPS distribution center. :/

No CAC was 11 votes, with one accidental that meant green. Green CAC was 42 votes without the extra from the aforementioned. Gold CAC was 10. Congrats to the 10 who were correct. 2 people took the comedy option, good job.

I thought it would not CAC myself, there are some minute hairlines in the right obverse field that I thought should stick it at 64. I guess I was wrong.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold CAC

It’s a curse sometimes being right all the time. 🤓

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold CAC

sweet coin. when i first saw it i thought gold...but then i cheated and looked.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold CAC

Let me know when I can send my shipping address. Thanks!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Green CAC

A crummy screen shot??

Congrats!

• Options
    No CAC

@clarkbar04 said:
    A crummy screen shot??

Congrats!

1-800-SLO-USPS. Call them and tell em to hurry up.

Full disclosure; I am not responsible for whatever that number actually is.

• Options
    No CAC

Turns out this package may actually be lost and/or stolen at the USPS facility in Wilmington, DE. USPS said it definitely arrived at it's last scan, was definitely scheduled to go out, definitely did not go out, and doesn't appear to be where it should be if it didn't go out.

:/

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 9:43PM

@DelawareDoons said:
    Turns out this package may actually be lost and/or stolen at the USPS facility in Wilmington, DE. USPS said it definitely arrived at it's last scan, was definitely scheduled to go out, definitely did not go out, and doesn't appear to be where it should be if it didn't go out.

:/

I have the same problem happening at the Kearny, NJ hub right now. It's been stuck there since Thursday 11/19/20. I'm going to be very upset if it is gone. Registered mail is supposed to be "Secure".

• Options
    No CAC

I drove to the aforementioned distribution center on Saturday morning and raised some hell. My packages were delivered this morning. I have been waiting way too long for the satisfaction of posting this picture.

• Options
    Gold CAC

Glad to see it arrived safely!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file