Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Green & Gold Newp

PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some here may remember a thread I posted a while back about 1911 $10 that was a lower grade than the one in my registry set, and I wasnt sure what to do with it. Well, I decided to build around it.

I currently have 6 / 8 needed to complete a second type set:

But the latest addition is actually another duplicate, sorta. :D in addition to the 1910 $5 pictured above, I just picked up this one:

So now I have a 1911 date set of gold... almost. Fess up, who's got my 1911 $2.5 in OGH / CAC?

Now what do I do with the 1910? I also have a 1909-d in 64 CAC. A date run of $5 gold in 64 would be pricy even with the most common mint in each year, but maybe not out of the question in the long run. (Except 1929). I guess this is where I'm leaning - long term project. I like this one too.

Anyone else put together these short 4-coin date sets of gold like my 1911's? Registry doesnt have spots for minor sets like that I guess.

Comments

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the look of your gold! 👍👍

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are beautiful gold pieces for sure! They look like a matched set.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Excellent type set, love the look, congratulations.

• Options
    SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭

great 1911 $5 @Pedzola . Super coin and in a good collection now.

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola .... Nice gold coin set... You cannot go wrong with those coins and they are great to look at, especially in a group. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those all look very nice. I like the way you think. 🤓

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a pretty cool page

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking examples, all of them!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive display.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW, Beautiful set... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

no respect for the lowly $2.50 Gold. :#

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well done!

Love the look of your gold!

And green on green is the way to go for housing it!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it can be difficult to find some coins when you adhere to a strict set of guidelines like you are, but I'd think a two-and-a-half
    Indian would be out there. I know a guy who put together a 50 coin Type Set of Classic Commems in Rattlers; it went pretty fast at first and then he got down to four coins he couldn't find, those took him almost a year.

good luck with the hunt!! B)

• Options
    edited October 31, 2020 5:20PM

I am in no rush. There aren't a lot to pick from but something relevant seems to pop up every month. We'll see how fast I can find the last 2. After that maybe work on the 5's.

Here are my 3 so far. All are cac although the 09-D was reholdered and I never sent it back in for a new sticker. To finish a date run of these I would need 6 more, not including 1929 (which I will never be able to afford). 08, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another great coin. Congrats!

• Options

Thanks. Will still keep an eye open for the elusive 1911 $2.5 to finish my gold date set.

Hoping for the $10 lib to find one other than a 1901-S! Already have one of those in a diff holder.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding! After you complete this, go look for gold CAC OGH's. Should be easy!

:D

• Options

A 1911 in 64 shouldn't set ya back too much, the challenge as with any of them is finding one that is as nice and complementary to the rest of your coins.

That is a nice 08 QE!

• Options

Thanks! 08 has less detail on the eagle vs later issues so not perfect as a type example, but I think this is a very nice coin for the year and grade. Happy to have it in my set.

Agree the 1911 $2.5 will not be crazy from a budget perspective but finding one in OGH/CAC is the issue. Very specific search, not much room to be picky. If I see one I'll trust the sticker and go for it.

On the other hand I have passed on 2 $10 libs already which I thought were a little too beat up for 64's, sticker didnt help. Since I had one of these and already passed on 2 more I am sure I'll find a good one sooner than later. I am patient.

If WineSteven is reading this - you win, I drank the CAC koolaid. However I am trusting my own eye more and more - need the stickers for this holder-themed set, but will keep trying to find nice examples without stickers to save $$ upgrading my "main" registry set!

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Box of 20 time!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    edited November 17, 2020 4:23PM

Another thing to consider is the price jump from 63 to 64 is negligible for most dates of QE compared to a half eagle. Based on that fact alone, CAC is not a qualifier for me. Given that most half eagles double in price from 63 to 64 I understand and also would prefer a 64 CAC. On a QE, not so much.

Would the lack of a CAC sticker on this OGH 64 stop you from buying it? ;)

• Options

Question is academic because I already have a 25 D, and already have a QE in OGH. So, I wouldnt be a buyer for the coin you posted. But its a nice colorful coin. B)

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking pretty sweet, Chris!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file