Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is this? Found in attic of my parents new house in upstate NY?

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 24, 2020 2:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My wife and I visited my father's house he bought in Scotia NY. House was built in 1890. I went up to the attic to look around and found this lying on the floor.

Don't think it's a coin, uniface impression. Any idea? Replica? Part of furniture?

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely some writing there. Can you get better pics, more straight-on? I don't know if that will help to try and figure out the writing.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first thing that came to my mind was an old Pope Paul III satirical medal.
    I remember seeing one years and years ago. I googled an image just for a food for thought image.
    Not sure it's the same but may be pointing you in the right direction.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=239141

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well there is some lettering to ponder. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m also going to go with a button.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    :o

:o:o

• Options

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it is a button. As others have said, figuring out the lettering is the key to the mystery.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang. Can't make out the writing. It almost looks like someone was hammering a piece of copper over something else trying to copy it. The rim makes it look like it's 2 layers?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2020 7:01PM

@ms70 said:
    Dang. Can't make out the writing. It almost looks like someone was hammering a piece of copper over something else trying to copy it. The rim makes it look like it's 2 layers?

Its one layer of copper. It looks like it's embossed. Maybe I can make a pencil etching of it.

Don't think it's a button. My wife went to FIT and she said its not. Lol

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinJP said:

Just a guess here, but the photo of the object next to the dime has a Sphinx look, in profile. Or the breast area seems to display a rib cage.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thread. I like a little mystery.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

What it is I don’t know, but the bust reminds me of the bust used on some Spanish gold coins late 1700’s. Maybe some sort of play money?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Halloween mystery. Spooky.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2020 2:29AM

I'm guessing that it may be some foreign coin that may have been used in colonial America.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because the reverse appears to be the indented image of the obverse, I would say it is a game token of some sort...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Because the reverse appears to be the indented image of the obverse, I would say it is a game token of some sort...Cheers, RickO

Possibly could be. Still trying to make out the lettering. The pencil etching I made didn't help.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i don't know what it is, but i don't think it's a button...how would it be attached to clothing? i guess it could be part of a button maybe

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good mystery, how fun!

• Options

How thin is it?

I can't think of any US coin or Colonial that this looks like. You should post this on the World and Ancient forum to see if anyone there recognizes it.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Just lying around on the floor? Wow, weird, but doesn't seem like it can be much of anything. To me it looks like something that feel off a piece of antique furniture.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well whatever it is , I think its one sided.
    May be some kind of ID for a farm animal or product.
    I give up !

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a similar piece on eBay right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203156246071

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:

Great find GoldenEgg!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, I found some King John medals that have a similar looking hair line. But Golden Egg nailed it.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks almost Roman or Greek to my eyes.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@GoldenEgg said:

how did you FIND this?! wow - incredible

I could barely read this thread for the eBay link popping up constantly.
    My phone finds things like that automatically.

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@Flatwoods said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@GoldenEgg said:

how did you FIND this?! wow - incredible

I could barely read this thread for the eBay link popping up constantly.
    My phone finds things like that automatically.

No, the ebay link popping up is because GoldenEgg posted it. Otherwise you wouldn’t see it.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2020 11:46AM

I think it’s a “hobbyist” made electrotype, probably 19th century. This can be confirmed two ways: an electrotype will not “ring” when dropped. An electrotype, by analysis will be pure copper, Any struck or cast coin will be an alloy.

• Options

@ambro51 said:
    I think it’s a “hobbyist” made electrotype, probably 19th century. This can be confirmed two ways: an electrotype will not “ring” when dropped. An electrotype, by analysis will be pure copper, Any struck or cast coin will be an alloy.

Hmm possibly could be.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going throw this out as a 100 to 1 shot, the cover photo.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2020 7:40PM

I just bought the example on eBay. Quite interesting, in that there are “two” of them. Can I get a weight and diameter of the OPs piece, for comparison. There are some similarities to the 1811 Vexator Canadiensis token, in general terms only. Let’s see what it looks like when it arrives, if it’s an electro. Both pieces have what looks like normal circulation type wear. Interesting.

• Options
    edited November 1, 2020 7:01AM

Do you have a weight and diameter? Does it have a ring drop?

• Options
    edited November 1, 2020 9:48AM

The reverse looks like an unfilled electrotype. I’m speculating it’s a 19th century game speilmark. This could account for “more than one”, as well as laying in an attic (where old games go). Electrotypes were invented in 1838, so it’s later than that, if an electro. If a cast contemporary counterfeit colonial copper, the head is proper for George I, I doubt it is. Curious item

• Options

It weighs 2.11 g

When balanced on my finger and tapping the edge it rings out.

Dropping on a wood table it sounds like a coin. I think it is a gaming piece.

https://youtu.be/_bKRRay7TK8

• Options
    edited November 1, 2020 12:12PM

Yup. That’s a ring for sure. Well let’s see what the eBay piece is like when I get it. The weight I’d say is right for an unfilled electro shell....I remember them as Not ringing, I’ll have to find one of the shells I made and try. Yours is from NY, That one comes from Texas. Most game pieces I’ve seen were gilded. I made a GIF of the two and very obviously the “die” matches. Yours has a few nicks the other one lacks, and that one has some pitting (bad planchet? Corrosion?) where yours does not. Call me crazy but in Numismatics, presently, things like this are all that grips my interest. Question being: can we find records of Another?? Lettering makes no sense even with stacked GIF. Doing an XRF would be nice but I lost touch with my contact.

• Options

They are very interesting pieces. It's a real mystery to solve and yes the lettering is not legible.

What I find odd is the curvature of the edges look exactly the same. Thanks for the interest everyone.

• Options

Hopefully next time I go up to visit the house I will find some other coin related stuff. Probably take my shop vac and suck up things out of the crevices between the attic floor boards.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    I'm going throw this out as a 100 to 1 shot, the cover photo.

Yes, that is what I referred to above.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2020 2:38PM

“> What I find odd is the curvature of the edges look exactly the same. Thanks for the interest everyone”...................................I noticed that too. It’s possible....electrotypes made by impressing the “die” into beeswax multiple times. This would account for that. I don’t think it’s a direct copy of a coin, rather a “created” die.
    •••••But, honestly, there’s a Ton of numismatic experience on this board and we have turned up two identical items from far different areas which no one can identify, or have seen before. I can understand yes, finding this piece on eBay (the source of many untraceable items) but Finding one in an old attic too? Kind of dispels my initial thought as a hobbyist electrotype. So What could it be???

• Options
    edited November 4, 2020 7:29AM

So....THIS comes. I’m Pissed.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'(

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Oh man...hate when sellers do that

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinJP said:
    Hopefully next time I go up to visit the house I will find some other coin related stuff. Probably take my shop vac and suck up things out of the crevices between the attic floor boards.

To catch a fish one must think like a fish :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file