Homeβ€Ί Sports Talk
Options

2020 World Series discussion thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone wants to discuss the World Series, go for it.

Β«13

Comments

• Options

I'm watching a little bit, and so far game 1 is a pitchers duel.

• Options

Bellinger just hit a two run shot against Glasnow, Dodgers up 2-0.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2020 6:45PM

If any player steals a base in the World Series, all of America gets a free Doritos Locis taco from Taco Bell. Well, Chris Taylor just stole a base for the Dodgers. We get a free taco, and I plan on getting my free taco. If they think I'm going to forget about this, they're wrong. I'll also send my wife in to get her free taco, and she'll give it to me, so I get 2 free tacos! Suckers.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

yeah, they did that last year. When we went to Taco Bell, the line was a block long. So much for a free taco.

Maybe if the Phillies ever get back to the world series, they'll give away free cheesesteaks!

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    yeah, they did that last year. When we went to Taco Bell, the line was a block long. So much for a free taco.

Maybe if the Phillies ever get back to the world series, they'll give away free cheesesteaks!

I'll have to plan this thing out, make sure to get there early. πŸ€”

• Options

Kevin Kiermaier just took Kershaw deep, the Dodgers now lead 2-1.

• Options

go and park your car in the drive thru early tomorrow. That should work.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    go and park your car in the drive thru early tomorrow. That should work.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I'll sleep in my car in their parking lot the night before if I have to.

• Options

Well, the Dodgers are coming alive now, they lead 6-1. I'm going to call it an evening, I'll see everyone tomorrow!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Well, the Dodgers are coming alive now, they lead 6-1. I'm going to call it an evening, I'll see everyone tomorrow!

That's not cool with no warning. You shall be punished on your next Joe Louis purchase attempt >:)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I swear to god I don’t even know who is in the World Series. It’s embarrassing to admit but I haven’t tuned into MLB once this year 😐

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

That's not cool with no warning. You shall be punished on your next Joe Louis purchase attempt >:)

Stay back Joe Louis demon! Back I say!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2020 5:12AM

I don’t follow baseball very much these days. I didn’t realize until last night that the Rays are such hitless wonders. When you have guy batting fourth with one homerun and a batting average under .200 this late in the playoffs, the bubble is going to burst. Dodgers in five.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2020 5:16AM

@doubledragon said:

That looked like me after the second inning. When you don’t have much interest in one team and dislike the other, baseball is deadly dull.

I switched an watched the DVD of β€œPet Semitary.” The critics didn’t like that horror film, but I think it’s seriously underrated.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@doubledragon said:

That looked like me after the second inning. When you don’t have much interest in one team and dislike the other, baseball is deadly dull.

I switched an watched the DVD of β€œPet Semitary.” The critics didn’t like that horror film, but I think it’s seriously underrated.

I actually liked Pet Cemetary also. If you want to get a good scare, watch The Blair Witch Project.

• Options

I live near a big wooded area, and after watching The Blair Witch Project, I keep a mop handle with me at night for protection.

• Options

The Dodgers took game 1 by a score of 8-3.

• Options

Freakin legend.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

The tacos suck there!

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    The tacos suck there!

Not if you're constipated. :o

• Options
    edited October 21, 2020 2:52PM

I actually prefer to make my own tacos over Taco Bell, but free is free! Now if you want to talk homemade tacos, I use the Old el Paso Taco kit, and a pack of hamburger meat. I put the ground beef into a pan, and cook it on the stovetop, then when the meat is cooked, you add the seasoning. I put the shells in the oven and bake them a little bit so they are good and crunchy. Then bam, we got a fiesta!

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon ... I know you like to joke around, so I'm hoping that you are not serious about that taco "recipe." If you are, then shoot me a PM if you ever make your way to San Diego. We will go grab lunch. You can tell me about Joe Louis cards and I will get you some real Mexican food. Tacos are on me.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2020 5:16PM

@AFLfan said:
    @doubledragon ... I know you like to joke around, so I'm hoping that you are not serious about that taco "recipe." If you are, then shoot me a PM if you ever make your way to San Diego. We will go grab lunch. You can tell me about Joe Louis cards and I will get you some real Mexican food. Tacos are on me.

Unfortunately, I am serious about it. There's a Wal-Mart market a block from my home, and I get the ingredients there and make it. I know, it's sad. If I'm ever in your area, I'll PM you, and you can save me from this Wal-Mart mexican nightmare! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Options
    edited October 21, 2020 5:17PM

Game 2 - Brandon Lowe just went deep for the Rays, they lead 1-0 in the 1st.

• Options

Sounds like what we do on taco night at our household, but my daughter is in charge of the fixins. We use the ElPaso shells and toast them just enough to have the right crunch. I'm not a big fan of Mexican food, but I will eat tacos. If you have to limit your red meat intake, we'll use turkey ground meat. With the seasoning and the fixins, it's not bad.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@AFLfan said:

Unfortunately, I am serious about it. There's a Wal-Mart market a block from my home, and I get the ingredients there and make it. I know, it's sad. If I'm ever in your area, I'll PM you, and you can save me from this Wal-Mart mexican nightmare! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

You're on, man. Though a quick, little tip... Buy corn tortillas. warm them on the stove until they are pliable, then fold in half and fill with your hamburger. Fry the whole thing in some olive oil. Turn once when the bottom gets crisp. Throw is some cheese to melt and salt lightly. That oughta hold you over 'til you make your way out west!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:

@doubledragon said:

@AFLfan said:

You're on, man. Though a quick, little tip... Buy corn tortillas. warm them on the stove until they are pliable, then fold in half and fill with your hamburger. Fry the whole thing in some olive oil. Turn once when the bottom gets crisp. Throw is some cheese to melt and salt lightly. That oughta hold you over 'til you make your way out west!

That sounds delicious, I'm going to have to try that! Thanks for the tip, I need all the help I can get in the kitchen! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ–’πŸ–’

• Options
    edited October 21, 2020 5:49PM

Dodgers starting pitcher has already been pulled, and it's only the 2nd inning. He gave up 1 run, and that was a solo HR. Wow.πŸ€”

• Options

Snell is cruising for the Rays, he's got 6 k's, and the Rays still lead 1-0 going into the 4th.

• Options

The Rays just scored 2 runs, it's now 3-0 in the 4th.

• Options

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:

@doubledragon said:

@AFLfan said:

@AFLfan I know Im not invited to dinner, but I just want to add my opinion (for some reason ). I would always go flour tortilla over corn. I'm not here to debate, just to get my voice into the mix a little... πŸ€ͺ

• Options

I love this Mexican Taco World Series thread! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Options

Ok, it's now 5-2 in the 5th inning, the Rays lead. Snell is in trouble, and he's being taken out of the game. I'm going to call it a night fellas, I'll see you all tomorrow!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Ok, it's now 5-2 in the 5th inning, the Rays lead. Snell is in trouble, and he's being taken out of the game. I'm going to call it a night fellas, I'll see you all tomorrow!

Thanks double D

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@AFLfan said:

@doubledragon said:

@AFLfan said:

@AFLfan I know Im not invited to dinner, but I just want to add my opinion (for some reason ). I would always go flour tortilla over corn. I'm not here to debate, just to get my voice into the mix a little... πŸ€ͺ

Lol. I am always up for Mexican food and card talk, so hit me up if you're in the area.

I can see flour tortillas for soft tacos, but for fried I think you need corn. Pretty sure fried flour tortillas would be too brittle to eat by hand.

Sorry to take up a World Series thread with taco talk, but I just couldn't stand quietly by with Double D posting about premade shells. Also, as a native San Diegan it is against my religion to root for the Dodgers, but the Rays also do nothing for me, so I'm struggling with this series.

• Options

@AFLfan said:

@thisistheshow said:

@AFLfan said:

@doubledragon said:

@AFLfan said:

Lol. I am always up for Mexican food and card talk, so hit me up if you're in the area.

I can see flour tortillas for soft tacos, but for fried I think you need corn. Pretty sure fried flour tortillas would be too brittle to eat by hand.

Sorry to take up a World Series thread with taco talk, but I just couldn't stand quietly by with Double D posting about premade shells. Also, as a native San Diegan it is against my religion to root for the Dodgers, but the Rays also do nothing for me, so I'm struggling with this series.

Thanks for the invite .😎

When my wife makes anything tortilla related, it's flour. But she's Brazilian, so.......

• Options

As an Italian who rarely ate Mexican food, I didn't realize there could be that much difference between taco shells. Then again, that would be like telling me that there is no difference between store bought pasta and homemade.
    Eighth inning now, Rays still lead 6-3.

• Options

Make that 6-4 .

• Options

LETS GO DOGERS!!!!

• Options

@Leonidas1994 said:
    LETS GO DOGERS!!!!

Rays won 6-4.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@BillJones said:

@doubledragon said:

I actually liked Pet Cemetary also. If you want to get a good scare, watch The Blair Witch Project.

I loved Blair Witch. I remember the marketing campaign. a tiny little bit of me actually thought it was real at the time

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I actually prefer to make my own tacos over Taco Bell, but free is free! Now if you want to talk homemade tacos, I use the Old el Paso Taco kit, and a pack of hamburger meat. I put the ground beef into a pan, and cook it on the stovetop, then when the meat is cooked, you add the seasoning. I put the shells in the oven and bake them a little bit so they are good and crunchy. Then bam, we got a fiesta!

you really need to try their version of the doritos shell. it is sooooooooooo good. and i agree, better than taco bell when we make them at home

• Options

@AFLfan said:

@thisistheshow said:

@AFLfan said:

@doubledragon said:

@AFLfan said:

All right Todd, so up here in Maine, all I have ever had is taco bell and premade/store bought taco shells. you are saying it gets better than that!?!?! Ok, forget the world series, now I need some REAL tacos!

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

My "Lazy Mans" Margarita
    Great with Tacos . . . and The World Series

• Options

@craig44 said:

@AFLfan said:

@thisistheshow said:

@AFLfan said:

@doubledragon said:

@AFLfan said:

All right Todd, so up here in Maine, all I have ever had is taco bell and premade/store bought taco shells. you are saying it gets better than that!?!?! Ok, forget the world series, now I need some REAL tacos!

Taco Bell is the only Mexican food you've ever had? Man, I'd hate to know what you did in your past lives to incur that kind of punishment.

• Options

@AFLfan said:

@craig44 said:

@AFLfan said:

@thisistheshow said:

@AFLfan said:

@doubledragon said:

@AFLfan said:

Taco Bell is the only Mexican food you've ever had? Man, I'd hate to know what you did in your past lives to incur that kind of punishment.

I know, right! I am starting to wonder myself...

• Options

@craig44, Yes, I also thought The Blair Witch Project was real at first, the footage makes it seem so real. I love it how they were stalked at nighttime. They were OK during the day, but when nighttime came, they were stalked, and it kept getting worse every night. Awesome movie. It made me fear the woods at nighttime!

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:

What are your favorite Mexican places in San Diego?

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@AFLfan said:

What are your favorite Mexican places in San Diego?

Oh man, so many choices... Las Cuatro Milpas and El indio are longtime solid choices. There are so many here that it is really hard to pick favorites. As a general rule, the hole-in-the-wall places are better than the chains, though smaller chains like Roberto's and Alberto's are solid. i like Old Town Mexican Cafe specifically for pozole.