Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whats your vote for most undervalued US coin?

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Great idea for a thread topic.
    No motto $10 Liberty gold coins would be my choice for an underrated coin.

I agree with @PerryHall. The no motto Indian gold eagle is the one.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registrycoin.

Thanks for posting that Information. I inadvertently left out (2) Unique coins when I was discussing, back then, the Unique coins of the 20th Century. Those are the 1907 Proof United States/Philippine Peso struck in 80/20 silver and 90/10 silver - each produced at the Philadelphia Mint. I believe the 90/10 example is impounded in the Money Museum in Manila while the 80/20 example is in private hands after “Justhavingfun” (RIP) purchased the coin at auction a number of years ago. There is no price in the Price Guide for the Unique 1907 Peso to this day. It was showcased in the 2018 PCGS Calendar.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2020 12:01PM

@RegistryCoin said:
    The story of the No-S Ike from our hosts:
    https://www.pcgs.com/top100/coin4

Great article! But I wonder why it's not referenced as pattern J-2164.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KSorbo said:

@Zoins said:
    Generally, I'm a believer in efficient markets and the US coin market is very efficient and very mature.

Because of this, I have a hard time coming up with "undervalued" series and don't think there is any. At the same time, I can more easily come up with a list of less valued or unvalued coins. For collecting purposes, I would say unvalued coins are ones with very little numismatic premium (over face value or melt value).

I agree. Coins are valued according to supply and demand. A better question may be which coins we consider to be under appreciated, and which may rise sharply in value if demand were to increase. I enjoy collecting classic US type coins, especially the earlier ones with more absolute rarity. I like to think that it wouldn’t take much additional demand to see some appreciation in value. In any case they are a pleasure to own and are likely to stay in demand.

Totally agree!

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Any Franklin that really makes the MS 67 grade. Most plastic encased coins are over graded.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not going to say since I hope to buy one.

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Circulated coins that are "prefect" for the grade- perfect wear on a well struck coin, very minimal nicks or even an absence of nicks for the grade, perfect color for the grade, and with no other distraction, just honest wear. There are many coins that are properly graded for the grade, and are nice, but few meet the "perfect" description for the grade.

One of the favorite coins in my collection is a 1917/8-D 5c in an old green holder in PCGS G4. It is absolutely perfect for the grade (no distractions of any type for the grade) and has a very easily discernible overdate.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RegistryCoin said:
    The story of the No-S Ike from our hosts:
    https://www.pcgs.com/top100/coin4

Wonderful article. It states the grade twice, once as PR66DCAM and at another time PR66CAM.

peacockcoins

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@foodude said:
    Circulated coins that are "prefect" for the grade- perfect wear on a well struck coin, very minimal nicks or even an absence of nicks for the grade, perfect color for the grade, and with no other distraction, just honest wear. There are many coins that are properly graded for the grade, and are nice, but few meet the "perfect" description for the grade.

One of the favorite coins in my collection is a 1917/8-D 5c in an old green holder in PCGS G4. It is absolutely perfect for the grade (no distractions of any type for the grade) and has a very easily discernible overdate.

I agree. There are some coins that are just beautiful and I always imagine they were snagged out of circulation by a collector rather than mere chance. My favorite are AU-58 but this same applies to XF and VF at the very least and even lower grades for very old coins. People would be amazed to find how scarce a 1969 quarter in nice solid well struck XF is.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    The 2006 one ounce platinum bullion (not the burnished) coin.

Mintage of 6000 and with almost zero collector interest. They are almost impossible to find on eBay or Apmex and I suspect a fair amount of them got melted down whereas the burnished collector series did not.

I don’t own one, but it’s going to be in my hypothetical box of 20 someday!

Hard to grasp just why these coins have so little interest with attractive-imo-designs along with mostly low mintages and a relatively low bullion price for platinum. I believe the 2007 bullion version is a bit scarcer than the 2006, however.I haven't seen one come across the block for some time.

@olympicsos said:
    One thing I will say is very much undervalued is fully struck Walkers. Walkers, including proofs, don't always come well struck, but don't have the premiums that FB brings for Mercs and FH for SLQ's.

I like to purchase close to fully struck Walkers from the '40's. Some can be had for little or no premium and they are truly scarce to even rare in 65 or better.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2020 3:11PM

@batumi said:

@kiyote said:

Mintage of 6000 and with almost zero collector interest. They are almost impossible to find on eBay or Apmex and I suspect a fair amount of them got melted down whereas the burnished collector series did not.

Hard to grasp just why these coins have so little interest with attractive-imo-designs along with mostly low mintages and a relatively low bullion price for platinum. I believe the 2007 bullion version is a bit scarcer than the 2006, however.I haven't seen one come across the block for some time.

Regarding the platinum bullion coins, I can just say that the design isn't as attractive as these. They have some strong competition in the design area.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin

Which 1894-S PF Barber Dime did you buy?

• Options

Cameonut2011 ...

Ex: Clapp-Eliasberg-Richmond - Justhavingfun

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Cameonut2011 ...

Ex: Clapp-Eliasberg-Richmond - Justhavingfun

Wondercoin

It threw me because it was in a NGC holder when it sold, no? I like your exemplar very much. I can't believe others would denigrate it.

• Options

“Wonderful article. It states the grade twice, once as PR66DCAM and at another time PR66CAM.”

Pat. The PR66DCAM is a typo.

The coin was graded only once from the time I have owned it and Rick Montgomery was President of PCGS at the time so that was quite a few years ago now. Under today’s standards, if the coin is DCAM and possibly PR67, I don’t believe it matters all that much when you are talking about a Unique specimen.

Wondercoin

• Options
    edited October 17, 2020 4:49PM

“It threw me because it was in a NGC holder when it sold, no? I like your exemplar very much. I can't believe others would denigrate it.”

Cameonut2011... These boards were “rough and tumble” way back then. “Modern” was a dirty word to be sure. Politically correct hadn’t been invented yet. Pat and Cladking remember those days. Lol.

“Branch Mint PR66 PCGS Secure, formerly PR66 NGC. CAC. San Francisco source circa 1894, possibly Frank C. Berdan, weigher at the San Francisco Mint; John M. Clapp, before 1900; John H. Clapp; Clapp Estate; Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. in 1942, via Stack's; H.R. Lee Collection (Stack's, 10/1947), lot 348, realized $2,150; James A. Stack; James A. Stack Collection (Stack's, 1/1990), lot 206, realized $275,000; Armen Vartian, agent for "David D.", per Q. David Bowers; Jay Parrino; sold to David Lawrence Rare Coins for $450,000; Bradley Hirst, owner of the Richmond Collection, in 1998 for $825,000, via David Lawrence; Richmond Collection, Part III (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 3/2005), lot 1295, as PR66 NGC, realized $1,322,500; Dan Rosenthal, owner of the "Just Having Fun" collection; purchased from Dan Rosenthal and his agent, Mitchell Spivack, by David Lawrence Rare Coins; sold to John Albanese for $1,900,000 in July of 2007; private collector. Plate coin for the 2005 edition of 100 Greatest U.S. Coins, by Jeff Garrett and Ron Guth and plated on the PCGS CoinFacts website.”

Some of the views on the Dime I bought and sold for Justhavingfun changed dramatically after John Albanese purchased it (and perhaps even before that), and it thereafter received a sticker. But, you can clearly see what I was talking about regarding the softening of prices on at least this ultra rarity right in that history (above) after it traded hands 3 or 4 times in the past dozen years. Consistently strong annual returns year after year, decade after decade as reported with each sale. But, in the (12) years following my sale (when it recently sold at public auction for under $2M all in), the coin only saw a 5% increase in value for that (12) year period and that is only if you include the full 20% BP in that “increase”. Assuming the auction company received at least 5% of the buyers’ premium, the coin actually saw no increased value or a real loss to the consignor.

Hence, my personal assessment that these times may be changing a bit and Unique items beginning to enjoy huge appreciation, especially in these times where the “rich” are getting obscenely richer.

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedCopper said:
    Wondercoin - the 1894 s Barber Dime that you sold for $ 1,900,000
    Could probably be the finest one .
    The one that just sold for $ 1,200,000 plus BP was a POS
    PCGS should be embarrassed
    grading it Proof 66 when in reality
    It was at best a 62-63 coin. It had scrapes,scratches hairlines galore
    and even a huge digit on the obverse . Buyers are more attuned to quality now than ever before .

I studied the Simpson 94-S VERY carefully, as I'm sure you did as well. I agree that it's not a real gem, but calling it anything less than 64 makes no sense to me. Most of the surface issues were on the planchet before it was struck.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Andy. Thank you, but I believe I originally passed at $25,000 and still kick myself! But, happy to see that piece has risen in price over 13x !

Do you happen to have that list of Unique 20th Century US coins handy, including the patterns?

Wondercoin

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the Mercury dime series I would say the 1926-S MS FB

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

m

@wondercoin said:
    Andy. Thank you, but I believe I originally passed at $25,000 and still kick myself! But, happy to see that piece has risen in price over 13x !

I didn't know the 42 was available for 25K. I'd like to hear that story one day! Anyway, times change! BTW, do you remember what I paid for your coin when it turned up in the Devonshire auction? ;)

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Andy. PM me your phone number and I’ll call you now regarding the 1942 cent. I am outside the country right now and don’t have access to all my contact info.

Wondercoin

• Options

Great call with Andy.

And, thank you Andy for clearing up the fact that I had been offered one of the two known “high relief” 1942 cents, while yours is the Unique aluminum specimen. I still feel just as stupid not buying the high relief one! 😜

Wondercoin

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

1880's 3-cent nickel pieces (business strikes) with the exception of 1881.

1952-D Huge D Washington quarter.

1887 and 1900 Doubled die reverse Liberty nickels.

1917 DDR Buffalo nickel.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:
    1998 SMS Kennedy

@Jimnight said:
    1998 SMS kennedy half dollar.

Is this the one that is a part of the two coin set with the rfk commemorative dollar?

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    One thought is that it may be the most expensive coins that are undervalued.

Here's the thought. Imagine a country where income distribution disparity is widening, population growth is slowing and the youth are not interested in coins. In this scenario, it may be the few select top end coins that see further interest in the future while the majority of coins have less interest, and would thus be overvalued today.

This is a very interesting thought/point, and beings to mind a sports reference regarding salary caps and player value. LeBron gets 28% of the team’s slotted salary, and makes $30M/yr (at least to me, a whole lot) and the last guy on the bench gets $250k. In reality, LBJ is worth 60% to the team, and the last guy is potentially a drain.
    Back to coins, if all the interest is at the top, then it’s the million dollar coins that are undervalued and my $100 coins are being held up artificially.
    In both cases, changes in the payment structure would be a boon for those at the top top, and devastating for everyone/thing else.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I need to update my data, the 1926-S Mercury Dime in Mint State or Mint State Full Band. You can read my documentation from 2012 here: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/858446/mercury-dime-key-semi-key-analysis/p1

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rln_14 said:

@privatecoin said:
    1998 SMS Kennedy

@Jimnight said:

Is this the one that is a part of the two coin set with the rfk commemorative dollar?

Yes.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Classic commems

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

What do you think of the value of an ms65 red 1958 DDO Lincoln Cent ?
    How about a 1974 s Proof Aluminum Lincoln Cent , struck on a foreign planchette, that came in a 1974 Proof Set ?

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost any no-motto US gold, especially half-eagles, not necessarily the most undervalued coin but the most undervalued series for sure.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's any coin I just sold...

Actually, any unmolested original, attractive early copper half cents and large cents. Same for seated dollars and halves.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Susan B😁

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many examples where the demand is low relative to other coins, as stated above. Easier for me to rattle off a few overvalued coins, ones that I may buy to complete a set even though all I need to do is be willing to pay the price at the next auction or other venue. No challenge with those other than $$. Never hurts to part with those coins either, unlike the underappreciated beauties that take so long to locate.

• Options

I vote for early American Colonial and States coins in general. History and rarity for a few hundred bucks.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

The 2019-W ERP ASE.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soooooo many undervalued coins. I feel without a proper data analysis, I will almost certainly miss multiple coins. The ones that pop to mind right now...

1823 N-2 Matron Cents in XF and above
    1860-O 10c in AU and above
    Seated No Motto quarters of various issues
    A wide range of mintmarked and P mint liberty quarter eagles
    Gem CAC 20th century gold issues in certain grades (1914-D $2.5 as an example)
    Certain no motto $5 and $10 P mint Libs (1859 $5 and 1872 $10) come to mind

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

@rln_14 said:

@privatecoin said:
    1998 SMS Kennedy

@Jimnight said:

Yes.

Thanks

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure there are plenty of rare issues that you could come up with on this list with a rigorous analysis top to bottom in numismatics. Market makers usually do a good job finding value. 20 plus years ago I was talking to one who mentioned how the coming of a new century was going to shine the light on issues from the 1700s. One major dealer had late 1700s dollars that did not have a big following at the time, and later did.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:
    Almost any no-motto US gold, especially half-eagles, not necessarily the most undervalued coin but the most undervalued series for sure.

I have long thought the same but now I worry that the wave of Fairmont pieces will make them fairly valued at current prices given the new supply. Kunker sold 5 1862 $5's in EF/SU in one auction. Another way to look at it perhaps is that some coins were too rare for their own good

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's very easy to be blinded by dollar signs when we look at million dollar coins that might easily by worth two million or even more in the near future. A million dollar increase is still nothing to sneeze at.

But I believe that when considering "undervalued" we must look at the percentage of undervaluation rather than the total. On this basis there are a great number of far more undervalued coins than a rare gold piece or a unique modern. Perhaps the most dramatic is the '69 quarter in very choice BU. This coin doesn't often come nice and doesn't exist in rolls and bags. Almost all specimens have come from mint sets for half a century now. These mint set coins are usually tarnished now days. You can find rolls put together from these sets and they sell for less than 75c per coin but most specimens will be quite unattractive which is much of the reason for the low price.

Modern collectors tend to prefer at least choice BU so if and when these coins start getting collected we'll quickly find the supply is very thin. On a percentage basis these might just be the biggest winner in the next 20 years.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:

if they did melt some down i wonder what is the number out there that survived (for lack of better words)

• Options
    KSorboKSorbo Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

@foodude said:

To this I would add classic circulated coins with the “circ cam” look, i.e. dark original background with natural gray/worn devices. Eye appeal is just as important for circulated coins as for uncirculated IMO.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinlieutenant said:
    Soooooo many undervalued coins. I feel without a proper data analysis, I will almost certainly miss multiple coins. The ones that pop to mind right now...

I almost posted something about the 1823 N2 large cent myself; so much scarcer than the overdate. Maybe ~50 cert’d by PCGS in all grades above Fine. I paid 1909 SVDB money for this, and it’s a ‘problem’ coin!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@coinlieutenant said:

I almost posted something about the 1823 N2 large cent myself; so much scarcer than the overdate. Maybe ~50 cert’d by PCGS in all grades above Fine. I paid 1909 SVDB money for this, and it’s a ‘problem’ coin!

Biggest reason why this isn't on the website. Certain coins just don't match what I think the market will support, so they get squirreled away.

PCGS XF45 CAC

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

3 legged buffalo!

• Options
    TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2020 5:51PM

American Gold Eagles.
    My answer will make more sense in 6 months to 1 year. :)

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is almost always a good reason why a coin is "under appreciated" or "undervalued". It's not an accident.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file