Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dansco Album or Capital Holders

JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have liked the album presentation of this collection.

I was able to source some Capital holders for the series and have transferred the collection.

Which presentation do you prefer - Capital Holders or Dansco Album

Dansco Album or Capital Holders

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

They both have their good points.... I chose albums since they are the easiest to maintain, but I really like Capital holders for long term protection if the collection is done. Cheers, RickO

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

I like the Dansco album for most series. It's easier to add or replace coins (slides vs screws on Capital holder). And for me, the album stores better on a shelf. I do like Capital holders too but prefer them for smaller sets (like a single proof set).

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote albums. I don’t use Dansco but the album presentation is nicer to me than having “pages” of capitol plastic. On the other hand, I do like Capitol on a small series set like war nickels or type set of gold.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it in either album! Wanna sell that set????

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    Capital

I agree with Ricko for the Long term storage the Capital Holder is the way to go : when you are filling the Empty Holes in the Dansco Album you are always sliding the Plastic Windows back and forth and if not careful coins get rubbed and scratched on the surface.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 1:42PM

The Capital Plastics holder is a lot more expensive. If you already own the Capital holder, and it's a sunk cost, I like the Capital holder, although they can rattle. If not, then I would not go out of my way to buy a Capital holder unless you are getting cheap, second hand.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You ever wrestled much with those Capital Holders? They can be a PITA!

@1Bufffan said:
    I agree with Ricko for the Long term storage the Capital Holder is the way to go : when you are filling the Empty Holes in the Dansco Album you are always sliding the Plastic Windows back and forth and if not careful coins get rubbed and scratched on the surface.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

everything posted by RickO and U1chicago echoes my thoughts. the Dansco is easier to use while "forming" the collection --- but --- there is risk of friction from the constant sliding of the plastic. being careful eliminates that. for a completed set I think the Capital holder gives better protection --- but --- it is bulky and awkward.

both of them take up a lot of space so it comes down to a personal choice of which appeals to you. I vote neither one for me.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

I like them both but I feel that mid-grade coins with nice original surfaces (like these Barbers) present better in a Dansco.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

Fantastic set! I voted for the Dansco, the capital holders are nice but imo more difficult to store the separate pages/holders vs the more compact Dansco.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

Dansco all the way.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 1:46PM

I agree with idea that if you are still building the collection, the Dansco is easier to use. You have to be careful with it, however. Slide damage can be ugly. If the collection is finished in your mind, the Capital Holder is sort of “archival.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the books simply because they are easier to store and you don't need to worry about scratched/scuffed plastic.

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

I have more Danscos than capitals so I have to go with Dansco. I do like the capitals for short sets

• rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

Your photos reveal a significant difference. I can see a lot of distractive reflection off the Capital holder (to the detail of knowing you were holding a phone camera vertically with two hands). But I see no reflections on the Dansco.

That difference alone is enough for me.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

For a lower grade collection like this great set, I’d feel “closer” to the collection with the Dansco. I also would like the heft and compactness of this format.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capital

Capitol holders make a better display
    Dansco albums are easier to update and add to than Capitol holders

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 9:31PM
    Dansco

There’s something about Albums that makes them cooler. The capital holders would be better if you were making some kind of display, like mounting it on a stand on a shelf, but then it would be a target for thieves. Albums can pretend to be books and aren’t as noticeable to people even if on a shelf.

Only I like the old Wayte Raymond/Mehrig ones better than Dansco. The only problem is for modern coins you have to go with blank pages since they don’t make them anymore. I have so many never been used ones of those that I’ll probably never run out. Bought a ton of them back when some company got hold of unused stock. I don’t know if they still are selling them, I can’t even remember what their website was. It was in 2005 or so

Mr_Spud

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

@JBN Splendid! A wonderful set. I'm not a Barber fan but I love what you have done.
    Lance.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do both but I really like being able to add a blank pages to Dansco albums.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

Great set! I'd do Dansco. Easy to look at, easy to store, satisfying to hold and flip through a full album, easier to add and remove coins, easier to take care of.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

@messydesk said:
    Great set! I'd do Dansco. Easy to look at, easy to store, satisfying to hold and flip through a full album, easier to add and remove coins, easier to take care of.

I prefer the album, I have to admit though, I'm a Whitman guy...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set!

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

For that many coins, I’d go album. I’m with the other guys that like Capitol for shorter sets.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

Love the Dansco albums.
    Expensive slabbed coins are locked away. My Dansco 7070 is in my desk drawer to enjoy anytime I want.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

Lovely matched set! Great job!

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

I would rather have them in a album but they sure do look good for display in the capital holder when there are no holes.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

I like the look of date/mintmark sets in an album but I think a type set looks great in a Capital holder.

This is something I put together when I broke up my 7070:

Also, how cool is this:

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer albums for things that don't need to be in slabs. And the things that need to be in slabs need to be in slabs. Which leaves Capital Plastics for the custom jobs for sets not served by Dansco and Whitman. So, for example, I'd go with Capital Plastics if I were building a set of XF/AU $5 Indians.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

The Dansco albums make adding upgraded coins an easy task. The abundance of screws on the lucite holders makes changing coins a real task.

Both look great when viewed as sets.

All glory is fleeting.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

@MrEureka said:
    I prefer albums for things that don't need to be in slabs. And the things that need to be in slabs need to be in slabs. Which leaves Capital Plastics for the custom jobs for sets not served by Dansco and Whitman. So, for example, I'd go with Capital Plastics if I were building a set of XF/AU $5 Indians.

I'd put them in a blank Dansco for nickels. Had you picked a different size, I'd propose using some combination of blank Half Dollar albums (30.6 mm) and Small Dollar albums (26 mm) together with foam rings for 30.6 mm or 26 mm Air-Tites.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not voting... I like older Whitman and Library of coins albums a little more than Dansco. The Capital Plastic holders are fun... I have a few... Canada Dollars 1935-67 which is sort of neat. Do what makes you happy. Maybe some thought needs to go into the grade range for the set you are contemplating. Not sure what is available in Capital Plastic... I suspect some could be found used at a coin store.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dansco

I like the album look myself as they seem more like books.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capital

I guess I read to much into this. The question was " what presentation do you prefer " I have 42 Dansco albums, don't own any Capitals. But I DO like the presentation of the OP's halves in the Capital.

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Bufffan said:

@1Bufffan, Can those thin plastic strips really scratch a coin?

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capital

@ricko said:
    They both have their good points.... I chose albums since they are the easiest to maintain, but I really like Capital holders for long term protection if the collection is done. Cheers, Ricko

For the poll I chose Capitol because it looks like that set is complete and awesome looking by the way.
    For a set that is still in progress the Dansco is most likely easier to add or replace coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file