Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Submission advice needed on some beautiful Standing Liberty Quarters

OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be selling these coins and others on consignment for a friend of a friend. All are P-mints and blast white despite my pictures. Several appear to be full heads. My options are to rejoin PCGS, submit and sell myself, either on ebay or BST, or consign to an outfit like GC. Asking the SLQ people especially which ones qualify as full heads, and which option is likely to gain the best return for the owner and myself, given the membership, shipping, grading and auction charges ttached to each. Even if you don't grade, enjoy the coins.

1 1925

2 1923

3 1917P Ty 2

4 1924

5 1925

8 1919

9 1924

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The suggestion by @messydesk is excellent to reduce hassle and expedite your objective of selling. You will incur costs either way, make it easy on yourself. Nice quarters by the way....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

That first one is very nice. Agree with @messydesk on the FH designation coins and the worst are high AU or better. Nice coins, GC would be a good way to sell them.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice group of SLQ's best of luck with them

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice group - you should do well.

Vplite99
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would submit them. Great images. FH designations are tough. I see them all as Uncs. The first has the best shot at FH even though it may not get the highest grade. SLQ are difficult to grade from images. I really like the look of Liberty combined with minimal lustre breaks at the high points. Grades should easily be in the 63 to gem range unless the images are deceptive. If you have them graded, please consider posting the results. Good luck if you choose to submit them

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 4:27PM

Neither of the 23s, the 2nd 25, and the 19 will not make FH, and the #4 24 looks to just miss. The others look like it to me.

I agree if the goal is to sell everything to send to GC to have graded and sell.

Nice group of coins!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 5:19PM

I am with the crowd. Nothing less than AU for sure. Most are probably MS Although I am not the guy to venture a numeric grade for this series.

I suppose you could give a shot at selling them raw for slabbed money. For myself, I see the beauty and just sending it to great collections and let them deal with it all. Have had nothing but great experiences with them.

• Options
    jrrgdjrrgd Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

quite nice. id submit them to PCGS. gl.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like Number 1 the most.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send to GC.
    Then wait for a check.
    Good luck.

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    Send to GC.
    Then wait for a check.
    Good luck.

I've never dealt with GC but looks like a good option. On their raw coin submission form it shows discounted rates for submitting for grading and also the option to have them submit to CAC if they think it's warranted.

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Selling coins for a "friend of a friend" can be a problem unless you know the expectations of all involved. If the owner has unrealistic expectations you could be in for so unpleasantness after the sales are completed.

If you do know the expectations of all involved and they are realistic, then the advice of sending them to GC and just waiting for the check seems to be the best alternative.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess - #1, 3, 7, and 9.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mothra454 said:

@mannie gray said:
    Send to GC.
    Then wait for a check.
    Good luck.

I've never dealt with GC but looks like a good option. On their raw coin submission form it shows discounted rates for submitting for grading and also the option to have them submit to CAC if they think it's warranted.

Yes, I have submitted raw to GC for grading and sale and that is a great affordable option since you get a reduced rate and only have to pay for shipping to GC. Ian is great to deal with.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not expert for sure, but the first one looks like the best shot, imho at getting the FH. Going with GC seems to be a simple, sensible and well recommended option.

• Options

@291fifth said:
    Selling coins for a "friend of a friend" can be a problem unless you know the expectations of all involved. If the owner has unrealistic expectations you could be in for so unpleasantness after the sales are completed.

If you do know the expectations of all involved and they are realistic, then the advice of sending them to GC and just waiting for the check seems to be the best alternative.

I've done this a few times before and the results were satisfactory to all. In this case, I am making both my friend and the owner aware of what is going on as I proceed. Thanks

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:
    I am not expert for sure, but the first one looks like the best shot, imho at getting the FH. Going with GC seems to be a simple, sensible and well recommended option.

My guess is that a minimum of three of the coins will receive the FH designation, the one you mentioned being one of them.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would trust gc with the coins getting them graded at the same time. Cheapest method with(IMO) best alternative for best sales $ results.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Thanks to all for the advice. They went off the GC this morning.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed this one ... nice group ... I think 1, 3, 7 and 9 are FH, with 4 and 5 possible. I think sending them through GC was a good call. If you remember, please keep me posted by PM when they auction.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OnWithTheHunt said:
    Thanks to all for the advice. They went off the GC this morning.

You made a good decision.
    I have been very happy with their services and would (and obviously did) recommend them.
    They are great people to deal with and a lot of eyeballs are migrating to their site.
    They are rapidly gaining market traction and I don't think they are seen as a fringe player anymore.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good move IMO, John!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file