Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions on my 1861-S $2.50 quarter eagle. Update: Grade posted

OcalapainterOcalapainter Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited September 30, 2020 4:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just picked this up and seeking Opinions. Will be sending in for grading unless any red flags are seen?! Sorry for the quick iPhone pictures

Comments

• mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2020 12:33PM

Looks pretty old haha. Rim nicks at 3, 6, and 8 o'clock on the reverse. I have no idea if they will present a "problem".

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

No issues jump out at me based on the photos. I don’t think those rim dings will prevent a numerical grade.

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me. You in Ocala FL?

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be proud to own it.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Thanks CaptHenway I am. Care to speculate on a grade opinion?
    ThreeCentSilver i lived in Ocala for 22yrs residing in Texas these days.

• earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your coin. Looks nice to me. The rim nicks are minor. I would guess XF.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should grade problem free. Nice circulated civil war gold!

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. Should straight grade.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• I’m thinking AU-55’ish

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those rim nicks shouldn't hurt...from the pics I'll guess XF45...

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ocalapainter said:
    Thanks CaptHenway I am. Care to speculate on a grade opinion?
    ThreeCentSilver i lived in Ocala for 22yrs residing in Texas these days.

I am reluctant to grade from agitated electrons who may or may not have had a bad morning, but I would not be surprised to see it come back with the straight grade of AU-50. Neither would I be surprised if it came back EF-45; the reverse is a bit marginal. IMHO the very minor rim marks are insignificant on a piece of frontier gold.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

If pics are accurate it should CAC too. Very nice.

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

How do you know it would cac if there is no grade assigned to it?

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty scarce coin. I like it. I am at 45-50, and I don’t see anything to keep it from straight grading, but I am looking at a photo, not a coin.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, very nice coin. As long as there are no cleaning issues that aren't showing up in the pics, I would say 55-58 range. Where did you find it? How much did you pay, if you don't mind sharing?

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USMarine6 said:

@chesterb said:

How do you know it would cac if there is no grade assigned to it?

Obviously the grade needs to be appropriate. It just has the look (like I said, assuming the pics are accurate.)

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very solid coin. EF45

• Thanks for all the opinions fella’s much appreciated. I picked this coin up at a state unclaimed property online auction that didn’t have the best of pictures. Took the gamble at just over a $1000.00 w/ juice. Was pleasantly surprised Based on what I can tell from Pcgs photos it sure appears to be AU in hand. Off to grading she goes.

• SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ri am at xf 45 to Au 50.. nice looking coin.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

My comment is the same as @Boosibri Nice original 45!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you did very well.

edited September 10, 2020 8:28PM

I'm not seeing XF like some others are. Looks AU all day to me, possibly mid to high AU. Here is the lowest PCGS coinfacts shown, an AU53. Yours looks nicer, in my opinion

• goldengolden Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it in and let us know how it grades.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭

I personally wouldn't be worried about rim nicks on a coin like that unless one went all the way through to start disturbing the denticles.

I would think that coin would go at least AU 50.

• SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭

xf45 to me and choice.

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote AU50.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those pictures are a little difficult, but it the luster and some skin is there, and I think it probably is, that coin goes AU50 or maybe a little better, IMO. I agree I don't think the rim dings are significant enough to cause any issues. There's a lot of meat there, and that's a great date. Heck of a pickup. Congrat's!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice circulated better date coin. XF45. Well worth getting slabbed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@jwitten said:
    I'm not seeing XF like some others are. Looks AU all day to me, possibly mid to high AU. Here is the lowest PCGS coinfacts shown, an AU53. Yours looks nicer, in my opinion

At those grades you are really assessing luster as well as the wear on the coin. Tough to gauge luster from the pics. I personally don’t think high AU is in the cards but low AU, perhaps.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like an old fashioned EF-40 to me, now probably an AU-50. The little rim nicks will probably be ignored.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say it would grade 45-50

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking XF45+

• mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

I'm glad the rim nicks shouldn't hold it back, it really is a very nice piece! I suck at grading, but I see more wear on the OP coin than in the pics of the AU53. Specifically on the LIBERTY and hair underneath it on the obverse, and on the talons on the reverse. So I'm with @Kliao in saying 45-50. But I've never seen a gold coin in hand so take that with a big grain of salt....

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2020 6:26AM

My grade guess is AU50.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

45 or 50.
    Lance.

@Boosibri said:

@jwitten said:

At those grades you are really assessing luster as well as the wear on the coin. Tough to gauge luster from the pics. I personally don’t think high AU is in the cards but low AU, perhaps.

True, we can't really tell the luster from his pictures. But his coin does not have much wear at all, so I am assuming there is some luster left. I would be shocked if it went below AU50, but Indians are my specialty, not Libertys, so I may be way off. I still vote a solid AU55.

• Are these pictures helpful to determine luster?

Man, it's hard to tell if that has been cleaned. Sorta looks like it in a few pics, but not in others.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as a low AU, 50, possibly 53

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like 50 to me in the first picture. The others seem to have issues with lighting.

Ill up my grade to AU50

Here is a previous thread of mine for consideration. Same denomination, found in my grandpas SDB after he passed. Trueview 3/4 the way down the page.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/10529371#Comment_10529371

• GSpencerGSpencer Posts: 61 ✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2020 3:25PM

53 obv / 45 rev. I'd bet it grades out 50 ;)

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

50 shot 53

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be happy and proud to own that piece. Give us an update once she is back from our host.

New pics make me lower my grade a bit, ha. I say 53, shot at 55.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

• She graded AU53

• Can someone please help post the Tru view image please
    Cert #40167751

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file