Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A question regarding CAC

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a question about CAC, and I do not see answers on their website. If someone has information on this point, please let me know. I am writing this as a serious inquiry, not an attempt to bash or play troll games.

I’ll get straight to the point. My question is regarding succession.

In my business, we try to have succession plans for top managers. It gives us an idea of who may be up next, and it gives everyone in the process an idea of where they are, or where they can be going. Additionally, in our business, certain people have almost unreplaceable qualities and insights. One of my challenges, fortunately or unfortunately, is that I am one of those people.

My take is that John is one of those people for his profession, which is why the bean has gained reverence. However is John looking at every coin? Is he the only “finalizer”, if he has built a team of eyes to preview? If that team exists, do we know who those eyes belong to? Does he have a repeatable guideline as a standard?

For the record, I have never submitted to CAC. I have looked at a fair number of CAC coins however, both when they first started (a lot) and more recently (some). I also own several. I have yet to see a coin with a bean where I did not agree that the grade was reasonable, if not solid. Of the coins I have seen that are toned with a bean, I have yet to see one that I do not THINK could have occurred naturally. I have never seen one that was obviously, or not so obviously, “worked”. Therefore, even if the coin is unattractive to me, I have not seen one where I think they failed in their primary mission.

Recently, I have considered having some of my coins reviewed, but unless I plan to sell them in the next couple years, it really does not make sense to me. Yes, I would get feedback from an expert regarding what he thought. Yes, because I would use a trusted board member to submit, I would probably be able to get another honest and unbiased opinion. But again, unless I plan on the sale in the near future, why?

Let us consider this. I am a big fan of PCGS. I say that not just because I am here, but because I believe, at the end of the day, they have produced the most consistent body of work over the last (?) 35 years. But to the Kool-Aide drinkers, and those that weren’t there and maybe those who don’t listen, there was a day when that could not be said. There was a day that many old timers will remember when the TPG wars where dead-locked, and maybe even favored NGC. There were other players trying hard for the new market. In fact, some of those TPG’s where considered pretty reliable for a time, but ultimately lost credibility, and with that kiss of death, they faded from existence.

So again, I have to wonder … what happens when John is gone? Who takes over? Do they have the same reverence, and the same apparent integrity, to assure the legacy? If not, does that fallout erase the perceived current benefit?

In the case of PCGS and NGC, to a lesser extent (at least in the past 15 years) ANACS, and all the other also rans that actually put forth the effort in the beginning … the competition for services created a type of checks and balances. It forced the standard to evolve, but at the same time attempt for a consistency and stability that would exude reliability. It has worked out pretty well, all things considered. Not perfect, by any means, but more reliable than the wild west.

I hope for those that “have to have a bean”, the same holds true. I’m still trying to decide. I’m not planning on selling much over the next five years.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been said that JA has a plan but will it work and will the company thrive under different leadership only time will tell.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rehash away!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

i would send them to CAC,

The principal has established a great reputation, there is greater perceived value with the bean currently. When and if he leaves in the near future they will most certainly change the bean to mark his departure.

No guarantee the reputation will follow....

• Options
    edited August 30, 2020 8:53PM

Steve, I appreciate the response. Really. Our brief PM exchanges have shown me that you are a passionate collector with a fair amount of knowledge in the current market.

Also, I am not trying to stir the pot. I guess this has been went over before, but I couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I'm still trying to see through for an answer that works for me.

Finally since you are somewhat pointedly asking me, I will take the time to answer before I call it a day.

1. Likely only IF the market acceptance continues. A LOT more? Maybe. Your time line, IMO, is short.
    2. I find it hard to believe they have seen 90% of the coins they could see. Will is a different factor I can not control. But actually I find it VERY hard to believe, UNLESS, like you say they quit looking at them.
    3. That part was clear from the beginning. He wanted to have a pre-screened market. The screening fees were mainly just to cover the costs of that portion.
    4. Only if everyone buys in after he is gone. Currently the reputation seems solid, so we can assume, for now at least, it will stay that way. But we have all seen CAC coins that appeal, and may not appeal to us. So it will NOT be that cut and dry.
    5. If #3 turns out to be true, then a void will be left. Collectors want reassurances. Read all the posts on this site. An amount of the posters here think you can get rich trading coins, upgrading coins, cherry-picking coins ... ad infinitum. And hey, as long as an expert will vouch for your holdings, it'll be way easier.

So I'll ask my question again ... but much more pointed and direct.

If John leaves, and the tide turns with time (as it always seems to do), will the King still have clothes?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 8:51PM

@winesteven said:
    3. Regarding succession, in that interview John made it pretty clear that due to #2 above, that there’s a real chance that in a few years his firm will STOP evaluating coins for CAC stickers, and only do what really brings the main money to his firm, which is making a market in buying and selling coins with CAC’s! These $15 fees are not making JA financially comfortable - making a market in buying and selling is.

What about new discovery pieces, new variety attributions, and reholders? Are those pieces going to be condemned to dreckdom? If CAC does this, it will lose influence more and more as time goes on. The coin market might implode.

• Options

On another note, the rare coin market may very well see its demise long before JA if it continues its multi-year decline.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know the answer to your actual question, but I think it’s a good one.
    Some thoughts on what others have said (and I guess I haven’t been around long enough to recognize this as a rehash)...now that stickering has become a thing, I don’t think it’ll ever go away. Maybe CAC will stop, but then another trusted name will step in and we might see several fight for market dominance for awhile before things settle out. With that said, maybe CAC just raises rates to keep going and stop that from happening.
    On the threat of a stoppage: classic sales tactic to induce a sense of urgency. Maybe he means it, and he wants everything to come across his table before he goes out. Maybe he doesn’t and he’s just trying to remind everyone of the scarcity of a bean. Either way, genius, and to be expected. If I really thought they’d stop in a year, maybe I’d send mine in for that additional assurance for myself or my heirs. Otherwise, I have no reason. All very interesting to think through (at least for those of us who haven’t, yet).
    Finally, if the standards aren’t unknown within the company, a succession plan can be successful. If it’s really just a couple of guys going on gut feel, I’ll be excited for the threads about “bean generation” collectors and and OGHs with OGBs.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

OH NO!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 10:06PM

Why spend the money? I would not. I don’t worry how long he wb around. If they folded likely so would their bids in the sheet which is what their pricing system Is based on. You need to know what the CAC bids are in the sheet for your material to evaluate options. Someday when their no longer around you will see threads here debating how remove their stickers from the slabs lol if that hasn’t been replaced by something else.

Idk how many you would send but the cost doing that could buy a nice bullion coin or coins. Coins are a non interest / dividend investment so keeping overhead costs low is a must. Millions jobs lost due to covid which may never recover. I am out to cut overhead expense, not increase it as I question how USA market can advance considering decreasing number of collectors.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 4:39AM

If you're relying on some else's opinion that much to buy a coin, maybe you should buy a book instead.

In 20 years we'll be using the 100 point scale so they will all have to be re-graded anyway.

Stickers are a dealer/money grift.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    If you're relying on some else's opinion that much to buy a coin, maybe you should buy a book instead.
    Stickers are dealer/money grift.

So are all of your coins “raw”, since you bought the book instead of using the opinion of a TPG for your Saints? Sounds clearly like a double standard!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@winesteven said:
    So are all of your coins “raw”, since you bought the book instead of using the opinion of a TPG for your Saints? Sounds clearly like a double standard!

Does JA have a guarantee of any kind if he makes a mistake?
    Will he refund the CAC tax you paid?

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 5:09AM

Oh, so reading the book instead of paying for a professional opinion is no longer the issue? I get it!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2020 5:18AM

You get one professional opinion per book.
    Assuming each book costs $1000, you get 3 professional opinions for the cost of a MS65 common saint.
    You only get 2 opinions if you buy an actual PCGS/CAC coin.
    3 is better than 2 :)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:

@winesteven said:

Does JA have a guarantee of any kind if he makes a mistake?
    Will he refund the CAC tax you paid?

If JA buys back a mistake, he will just send it back to PCGS or NGC.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    If JA buys back a mistake, he will just send it back to PCGS or NGC.

It's great to know that PCGS will refund their price + the CAC premium.
    Disregard everything I just posted :D

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

What happens when the stickered coins go bad in the holders lol (reaction to atmosphere).

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    In 20 years we'll be using the 100 point scale so they will all have to be re-graded anyway.

My temperature is 98.6

My car gets 47 mpg

I have great faith in American stubbornness

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting thread. I just have an issue with one point. JA states he's seen 90% of the coins they are going to see ?
    I have a hard time agreeing with that. As we have seen, CAC adds a premium to coins. As more and more collectors / dealers realize this, more and more coins are going to be submitted to CAC. Myself, I collect moderns which are not eligible for CAC review, so I don't have a dog in this fight. I just believe there's a vast amount of coins out there that are either raw, or slabbed but have not been submitted to CAC.
    Curious to know the number of total number coins JA has looked at.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing...must be a slow Sunday night/Monday morning..... Always fun to discuss 'what ifs' or the 'unknowables'.... gives one the feeling of omnipotence - or utter hopelessness.... :D;) I just don't care....going to work on a mechanical device....Lots more fun and actually has an achievable objective. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Just a clarification. There are different pricing tiers based on value.

• Options

Went to work today, like a normal Monday. I'm a pro at what I do, and there is a demand for my services. Didn't get to play with the mechanics today though like @ricko did. Anything good? I need to build and program another trick Chilled Water skid soon.

Anyway, I see this generated a lot of interesting points (mostly last night after I turned in).

I said in the beginning I did not come here to bash or question the model, only curious about the succession. Until earlier this year, I was out of the hobby for 7 years. I still had (and have) a collection, but I walked away for a long hiatus. And when I say walked away, I didn't even read articles. I have a pile of PCGS magazines and calendars never opened.

CAC survived while I was gone, which is a testament to the model, the desire, and the now somewhat reliance (by some) and relevance (by many).

Also, the answer to the succession question potentially affects me (at a young, soon to be 56) more than a collector who might be pushing 15 or 20 years my senior, as our time lines might be different.

Actually, it might be @topstuf who has the most succinct answer, but that doesn't make me want to go out and have all my worthy coins stickered (mostly because of points I will make shortly). I don't think absolutes are a fair assessment, but he very well may be right, it might never hurt the value. Of course buying coins that have been stickered makes since if I agree, because then we have a consortium (the TPG, myself and JA).

@Cougar1978 makes a good point in that it is nice to keep the costs at a minimum. Between vault fees and other costs of the hobby, coins do not reap a return or a cash flow until they are sold. In fact, my collection, no matter how glorious, will probably never reap the profits nearly as high as my skills and reputation, or how I invest. With collecting money, I look more at ROI as a Return OF Investment, not a Return On Investment. Of course, at the time of sale, maybe the sticker makes sense. But even if only coins worth over, say $300. on today's market are worth the additional and added costs of sending in, and I pick the most worthy from those (let's say I am lucky enough to bat 75%), that's still a noticeable outlay for money that will be more market driven (in my opinion) than sticker driven 10 to 15 years from now.

@Gazes also makes a compelling point for the sticker, without sounding like he is full-on drunk on green bean Kool-Aide. And I agree, if the sticker is there, it makes you look twice and possibly have more confidence as a buyer. I don't question John's ability, at all, and I am not critical of CAC. Again, just trying to find a footing that makes sense to me.

Last one, for @Tom147 . Nail, meet hammer.

I just have an issue with one point. JA states he's seen 90% of the coins they are going to see ?
    I have a hard time agreeing with that. As we have seen, CAC adds a premium to coins. As more and more collectors / dealers realize this, more and more coins are going to be submitted to CAC.

Exactly! And since John cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, view every coin that will want to be sent to CAC as this model moves forward, my questions still stand, and unfortunately, are not fully answered.

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Steve, I appreciate the response. Really. Our brief PM exchanges have shown me that you are a passionate collector with a fair amount of knowledge in the current market.

Also, I am not trying to stir the pot. I guess this has been went over before, but I couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I'm still trying to see through for an answer that works for me.

Finally since you are somewhat pointedly asking me, I will take the time to answer before I call it a day.

1. Likely only IF the market acceptance continues. A LOT more? Maybe. Your time line, IMO, is short.
    2. I find it hard to believe they have seen 90% of the coins they could see. Will is a different factor I can not control. But actually I find it VERY hard to believe, UNLESS, like you say they quit looking at them.
    3. That part was clear from the beginning. He wanted to have a pre-screened market. The screening fees were mainly just to cover the costs of that portion.
    4. Only if everyone buys in after he is gone. Currently the reputation seems solid, so we can assume, for now at least, it will stay that way. But we have all seen CAC coins that appeal, and may not appeal to us. So it will NOT be that cut and dry.
    5. If #3 turns out to be true, then a void will be left. Collectors want reassurances. Read all the posts on this site. An amount of the posters here think you can get rich trading coins, upgrading coins, cherry-picking coins ... ad infinitum. And hey, as long as an expert will vouch for your holdings, it'll be way easier.

So I'll ask my question again ... but much more pointed and direct.

If John leaves, and the tide turns with time (as it always seems to do), will the King still have clothes?

Yes the king will still have clothes and apparently you have some interest in CAC so I suggest you get the the coins you want beaned and send them to CAC while John himself is still around ....

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    Very interesting thread. I just have an issue with one point. JA states he's seen 90% of the coins they are going to see ?
    I have a hard time agreeing with that. As we have seen, CAC adds a premium to coins. As more and more collectors / dealers realize this, more and more coins are going to be submitted to CAC. Myself, I collect moderns which are not eligible for CAC review, so I don't have a dog in this fight. I just believe there's a vast amount of coins out there that are either raw, or slabbed but have not been submitted to CAC.
    Curious to know the number of total number coins JA has looked at.

There are most probably NOT a vast amount of coins out there that are rare dates , condition census or both when it comes to gold much less other series that
    John has not seen.

Perhaps that is what John meant referring to the 90% he has seen of those kind of specimens .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

The market has already decided that the sticker services are here to stay. Unless there is something inherently made different with the current TPG services, there will always be demand for determining the premium coins for the grade.

I suspect if JA calls it "a day" with CAC then another service will take its place. Like I said, the market has already spoken and wants this service. CAC is incredibly reasonable with its pricing model. If they weren't so cheap, while also being considered the "gold standard," then I'm sure there would be others out there.

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 9:11AM

Everyone in a physical body dies and Mr. Albanese is no exception to this currently fundamental truth. What happens when his day arrives? What happened when Prince, Tom Petty, George Jones, etc., died? I recall their recording works went to the top of the charts and in some cases they sold more songs than when they were alive. I see this same post death effect happening with CAC coins, with the CAC sticker becoming even more valuable, especially if it was announced that the CAC coin submission window was closed.

It's a moot point. The only thing that really exists is now, where CAC approval has become a strong positive in many numismatic areas. Make your decision based on this moment in time because all of the future is unknown and uncertain. If you want some reassurance on CAC secession plans perhaps you should contact JA. He probably knows exactly how he wishes it to go.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2020 4:52PM

@marcmoish said:
    When your heirs will need/want to sell, it would be most advantageous at that time.

I have an avid 10 year old collector in the family.
    My set may not be sold for 90 years, if then.

What am I going to teach him about coins now?
    "Coin collecting is all about what you can get out of it and never trust your own judgement?"

• Options

If CAC is successful in its goal, then it is a self defeating model. If all of the good coins or even 90% have stickered and go to long term holders, only the widgets will be available to flip with tight margins. There will be fewer decent coins for CAC to buy and sell.

• Options
    foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

People have lots of good arguments. History is also filled with brands that destroy themselves or attempt to cash out. Maybe they continue and lower standards. Perhaps the whole operation eventually gets acquired by someone who is an idiot or a megalomaniac. How about a special partnership with APMEX to give nice green sticker seal of approval for modern coins. Will they one day introduce a new sticker to take advantage of technological advances in imaging and comparative analysis. Could many years from now there be unethical acts that undermine brand faith.

No one knows the future. What a lovely thing! We get to bet on it.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    If CAC is successful in its goal, then it is a self defeating model. If all of the good coins or even 90% have stickered and go to long term holders, only the widgets will be available to flip with tight margins. There will be fewer decent coins for CAC to buy and sell.

You're making the assumption (unjustified in my view) that once a coin gets stickered, it will likely be off the market for a long time.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding succession, in that interview John made it pretty clear that due to #2 above, that there’s a real chance that in a few years his firm will STOP evaluating coins for CAC stickers

if CAC were to stop "stickering" coins altogether, would that mean we have re-defined "coffin" to mean any encapsulated coin with a CAC sticker??

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

I’m confident that they have thought of that and aren’t concerned about it.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a dozen or so CACers in my collection, all mid-grade and without doubt original. Eye appeal depends on the collector. I like them, but have many times more coins that I like equally or better. I basically don't worry about stickers. Hopefully I will enjoy my coins many years, if they are sold I will put on all the latest bells and whistles, and it may not be CAC stickers.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

Maybe a CAC sticker becomes the equivalent of an OGH. But I am sure there will be another service to take their place.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

MFeld, agree with part of your statement. Obviously JA is obviously in a very limited group. However, if CAC ceases to exist and if there's money to be made, someone ( possibly more than one ) will start another service. How successful ? Depends on who it is, and alot of other factors. Success if at all won;t happen overnight.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    MFeld, agree with part of your statement. Obviously JA is obviously in a very limited group. However, if CAC ceases to exist and if there's money to be made, someone ( possibly more than one ) will start another service. How successful ? Depends on who it is, and alot of other factors. Success if at all won;t happen overnight.

There are already others who have started or operate sticker services now. None come close to the impact cac has had on the market and collectors. I think it is less likely any service in the future will have the stature, influence and following of CAC. Possible---yes, likely---no.

• Options

@ReadyFireAim said:

@marcmoish said:
    When your heirs will need/want to sell, it would be most advantageous at that time.

I have an avid 10 year old collector in the family.
    My set may not be sold for 90 years, if then.

What am I going to teach him about coins now?
    "Coin collecting is all about what you can get out of it and never trust your own judgement?"

You should teach him to collect exactly the same way you have. Right after you teach him how to dial a rotary phone.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@chesterb said:
    Maybe a CAC sticker becomes the equivalent of an OGH. But I am sure there will be another service to take their place.

I wouldn’t count on another such service. People with the combination of John’s abilities, motives, willingness, well earned and deserved reputation, influence and likability are virtually, if not, none existent.

Perhaps an enterprising numismatist from a well-respected auction house will strike out on his own to provide such a service? ;)

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@chesterb said:

I wouldn’t count on another such service. People with the combination of John’s abilities, motives, willingness, well earned and deserved reputation, influence and likability are virtually, if not, none existent.

Great endorsement! I have to agree.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

Absolutely! Hudson and Nash quit. But American Motors .....stepped....right... in.
    :D

• Options

@mothra454 said:
    You should teach him to collect exactly the same way you have. Right after you teach him how to dial a rotary phone.

Sure!
    He just learned how to use a functional sextant from his sailing obsessed grandfather (on land)
    Same person who instructed him on the use of a clutch (Ford Ferguson tractor)
    He's received some basic orienteering instruction from me but I intend to go much further. (map & compass)
    I almost always use a pointed flexible fountain pen and am trying to get him more interested in penmanship.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you're putting him through his paces. Next up, CAC lessons?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file