Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare date Bust half, cac/crossover or no?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 8, 2020 1:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was discussing this rare date Bust half on ebay, the 1815/2 NGC XF45 with an expert here. Do you think this would cross at 45 to PCGS and or cac?

!

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

mmmm ... pretty decent looking piece for that rarity. A little glossy, but that may be the pictures. Not bad.

No, I don't THINK it would cross, because I don't think it's a 45.

So, in that respect, I also don't think it would CAC ... HOWEVER ... it is a still an good looking coin, and frankly, last time I checked EF or Choice EF are in a very close price range on that one. It's not more than that, and if it's less, maybe it's a VF-35+ at absolute worst?

At least from the pictures.

Let us know if you go for it.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 2:39PM

I have my doubts. The price difference between a 40 and a 45 on coinfacts is 2k. 6K for a 40 and 8K for a 45. As for CAC? If it was a candidate, it would already have the bean. I'd leave it in the NGC holder. Looks a bit(?) overgraded to me. But hey, I'm just one guy.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

What they said.^

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

35 or 40 but it doesn't matter. If you know how to price it compared to others it will sell for what it is worth.
    I sold this 35 in a 40 for strong 40 money...I would buy this coin over that 45.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 3:40PM

@amwldcoin said:
    35 or 40 but it doesn't matter. If you know how to price it compared to others it will sell for what it is worth.
    I sold this 35 in a 40 for strong 40 money...I would buy this coin over that 45.

Agree.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to have some luster around the periphery. Are those hairlines from an old cleaning or what? Sorry, hard to tell from the pic.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say no on both counts.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of "net" games get played with this date at both services, I wouldn't bet my life on a crossover for sure.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think it would cross at grade.

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

It looks like a 40 to me, so I doubt it would cross, unless there's a lot of luster that's just not showing in the photos.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not handicap a cross or CAC unless seeing it in hand. Start by asking whether you would be happy with the coin gardless of plastic or stickers

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why cross? It looks great where it is.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. An EF45 coin should have claims to AU status and should show some luster especially in protected areas. I see none. I would also call it a 40.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I would leave it where it is but, to answer your question, ‘yes, I think it should on both counts’.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would be a no no.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My advice is to leave it as is...sell it if you want the TPG/CAC example....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I would grade the OP as an EF-40, I would say that it will not cross.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt it would sticker as a 40

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might grade as a 40 but would not sticker because of the hairlines (assuming those marks are on the coin and not on the plastic.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Oops, I looked at so many not sure how I mixed that up.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also see it as a 40 with no CAC.

Tom

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2020 8:53PM

An XF45 coin is in the XF grade. It should not be necessary to have "any claims" on the next grade higher. You have many CBH XF45's without luster remaining, often with bold strikes and clean, original surfaces. And you can have dipped out XF45's showing some remaining luster in the protected areas. Pick your poison. Luster being a requirement on XF coins pretty much went by the way side almost 20-30 yrs ago. In many cases, you may not even see any luster on AU50 coins...especially if deeply toned. And you can find luster on VF coins....doesn't make 'em XF or AU.

In any case the OP's coin does appear to have luster around the the devices and design (ie stars).

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

Nah, I wouldn't try it. It looks happy where it is now.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a bad looking coin, but I don't think that's a 45. Looks like a 35 obverse with a 42.5 to 43 reverse.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2020 8:06AM

@btcollects said:
    submit it a dozen times until it comes back a 30 then gold bean it and sell it for double 45 money

In a nutshell, that sums up today's market. Nicely done.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

It's too bad they don't have an alternative to "reconsideration" with possible downgrades, etc..

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2020 9:02AM

I wouldn't do it. It looks fine, even GOOD right where it is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file