Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My "MOOSE" GREAT NEWS!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 11, 2020 12:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guy's, I spotted this Ike in the display case and my eyes almost popped out of my head. Lol. I noticed also that it's in an old PCI holder. So I'm thinking, credible. The slab is titled, "Type 1" but in reality it is a Type 2, isn't it? Also, Silver Clad? Oximoron? Lol. Would my buy be considered the coveted, "Moose"? Anyone care to guess what it cost me? Considering to send it in to our Host? Opinions? Thanks guy's.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Silver Clad" means 40% silver. All U.S. silver coins between 1965 and 1976 are that way. Then in 1982 the mint went back to 90%.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, just as an FYI because of something you said ... PCI Gold label might not quite be as credible as you think

Take your time grasshopper ... lots to learn

YMMV

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Hard to tell, because of the toning, if the coin has any Cameo to it? Maybe?

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the toning is what you need to be careful of, especially after seeing closeups, if you ever try to send it somewhere else

Last time you had the dreaded words "Cleaned". Next time, it'll be the dreaded words "AT"

Not trying to be a buzzkill, but that's what I see

YMMV

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeyCoins , The vast majority of these grade out as DCAM, so would be a shock if it wasn't at least CAM. I'm guessing PCI just didn't designate them at the time.

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    And the toning is what you need to be careful of, especially after seeing closeups, if you ever try to send it somewhere else

Last time you had the dreaded words "Cleaned". Next time, it'll be the dreaded words "AT"

Not trying to be a buzzkill, but that's what I see

YMMV

You think, AT huh? :*

• Options

@ricko said:
    I think you meant 'coveted'....

Thanks RickO, for the clear up. Lol.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins.....Good luck if you submit... Let us know. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Wonder why PCI titled the slab, Type 1? This is a Type 2, no?

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 1:05PM

Mr. Joey,....you done got the BUG! Nice coin there buddy!

• Options

@ricko said:
    I think you meant 'coveted'.... and if you send it to our host, do not be disappointed if it is less than 68....

In reality, I can care less what grade. All I would be worried about is if it came back a "AT"!

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's a Type 2.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Copper-Nickel Clad Type 2 mislabeled as silver clad.

Not a reputable slab.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    A Copper-Nickel Clad Type 2 mislabeled as silver clad.

Not a reputable slab.

So, NOT Silver? :*

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes! :#

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin ... Nice toning too.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie

Thanks for the correction. I do not know this series well enough, and I should've known it was Ike's neck folds!
    Never saw this crease before. Is it only on tbe bicentennial?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:
    @CoinJunkie

Thanks for the correction. I do not know this series well enough, and I should've known it was Ike's neck folds!
    Never saw this crease before. Is it only on tbe bicentennial?

The creases are higher up on the standard issue:

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular color, even if it is AT.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@ricko said:
    I think you meant 'coveted'.... and if you send it to our host, do not be disappointed if it is less than 68....

In reality, I can care less what grade. All I would be worried about is if it came back a "AT"!

PCI slabs sometimes toned that way

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me Likey! :)

Maybe a 67 by our host?

Do not crack it! If it doesn't cross, you must preserve the old PCI slab!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on, he's on an adventure! I say send it in, in that slab and learn something. We'll be here awaitin fer ya. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Is the coin pictured there, the same year, type and Mint as mine?

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

omg they have gashes! lol

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that too. Maybe they should know what they’re talking about before they say anything.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Thank you all! <3

• Options
    edited August 8, 2020 11:04PM

@joeykoins said:

Is the coin pictured there, the same year, type and Mint as mine?

Yes. It was a one year issue, and SF was the only mint that produced the proofs. Both coins are Type 2.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 10:55PM

Mechanical error. I'd also guess it was gassed in the PCI slab. It also looks AT to me.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    Mechanical error. I'd also guess it was gassed in the PCI slab as even at its worst I don't think
    PCI would have called that a cameo with toned over devices. It also looks AT to me.

They didn't call it cameo.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@cameonut2011 said:
    Mechanical error. I'd also guess it was gassed in the PCI slab as even at its worst I don't think
    PCI would have called that a cameo with toned over devices. It also looks AT to me.

They didn't call it cameo.

Embarrassing. Thanks! :) I saw a comment and misread it to suggest otherwise.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I saw that too. Maybe they should know what they’re talking about before they say anything.

Why would they start now?!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2020 1:04PM

PCGS graded

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

your choice to send or not to, but the coin may get a AT label cause of the toning

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does appear to be AT but at the same time I’ve seen nickel clad tone in all sorts of wild colors in all sorts of holders. Generally I’d try to stay away from any neon purple as a rule.
    If you hang around here I promise you get to be a seasoned pro, brother Joey. The best thing you can do, if you’re going to collect color, is to handle as many PCGS graded coins with toning from in the series you want to collect or focus on. It’ll take some time but I’m more than sure you’ll pick it up.
    Hang in there my coin brother. This is a great hobby.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@keets said:

... try to slow down a little bit and let the forum help you.

OK, Thank You! ;)

• Options

@291fifth said:
    Slow down. Put your wallet away and learn more before you buy even one more coin.

You sound like my wife... :D

• Options
    edited August 9, 2020 1:23PM

Ok guy's, I give up! You all are right. I bought an "Artificial colored coin"! Thanks for all your help. :)

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin is HARDLY a moose. In fact, I think it's AT.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lot's of interest here. That tells me something. We need it. Good going Joe-Boy!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file