Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A NewP I hope you all enjoy. A Gettysburg you might have seen before.

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck started a thread a few days ago about a Gettysburg commem that John Agre from CRO offered in his Early Bird sale. I was apparently one of quite a few people who got to thinking about it. A recent slightly over-enthusiastic buying spree had me only casually looking...... but this is the sort of coin you can't ignore.

I mused about it for a bit, showed it to one of my colleagues (who knows nothing about coins) and went back to work for the day. When I got home I took another look and, again, couldn't stop thinking about it. Many of John's coins are gone within minutes of the e-mails going out, but surprisingly this one was still available. I was strongly considering pulling the trigger and saw the thread here about it. Those gorgeous photos at the top of the thread pushed me over the edge and I made the phone call. She arrived today.

I actually don't share a significant percentage of the coins I purchase here. Some are better than others, sometimes I think it could complicate a potential future resale, and sometimes I'm worried it might cause resentment. Discretion is highly valued in this world...... but I'm a person who just thinks numismatics is fun and this is one of the funnest coins I've seen in a while. It doesn't seem right not to share it. It doesn't do anyone any good sitting in a dark SDB.

The photos from CRO's website are truly fantastic. They show the fabric of the coin perfectly. I did what I could, but will graciously concede that I was unable to do as well. In-hand, the colors are all there and the luster is really lively and bright. The eye appeal of the obverse is slightly nicer than the reverse, but both sides are knockouts. On my personal scale, eye appeal is 10/10.

From a technical viewpoint, the coin seems to compare well with the MS67+ coins on CoinFacts. Truly, it's so very rare to find great color and a technically nice coin in the same place. Luster on many great toners is diminished by the toning, but this one is luminescent. It's a little hard to compare from photos, but I'd say the two 68 coins with photos have a better overall state of surface preservation. There are a couple of little marks that are probably grade-defining but in terms of eye appeal, I can't find one that even has a chance of being better. Throw in the OGH and Gold CAC and it's really the whole package, with a cherry on top, and a side order of fries.

This one, along with a really gorgeous Pilgrim that I also got from CRO, will be the jewels of my little assortment of commems. Honestly, they make some of the others look pretty average. A few years ago I hated all commems. Now, I only dislike about half of them. The other half of the designs are darn addictive. ;)

John's photos:

My photos:

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a pretty coin. :)

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin is amazing and deserves the good home that your going to give it. Thanks for sharing it here.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

It ended up in the right home. Major congrats my friend

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing I just noticed about the coin, which didn't occur to me when I saw it in the CRO email, is that the two faces are just about untoned, giving them somewhat of a cameo appearance and highlighting them as the focal point of the obverse. Just one more thing to like about the coin. Great pickup!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toning on the obverse is perfect for that coin. Well done.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great piece, and one in which the forum was quite enthusiastic about at the moment of sale. Needless to say, this is a knockout piece!
    It makes me very happy to see such coins stay in the "forum family." Thank you for revealing yourself!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous piece @BryceM ... just an absolute stunning example! Congratulations!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, that is a knockout coin! Beautiful!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's good to see a great coin find a way to a collector who truly appreciates it. My favorite commem came from CRO too.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great purchase! Congrats! That coin stood out to me as well the day of the offering.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big congrats!

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭

That is one pretty Gettysburg.

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

🤤

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb. Best Gettysburg I've seen.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said "...I'm a person who just thinks numismatics is fun and this is one of the funnest coins I've seen in a while."

There are many things I like about that coin and the OP. This quote captures them all.

Congratulations and Bravo!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I normally don't care most of the Classic Commems, but this one is an exception! I like the design, and the tone just sings! What a beauty!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your newp.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin is deserving of TWO Gold Beans........

OINK

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 8:59PM

@BryceM said:
    I mused about it for a bit, showed it to one of my colleagues (who knows nothing about coins) and went back to work for the day. When I got home I took another look and, again, couldn't stop thinking about it. Many of John's coins are gone within minutes of the e-mails going out, but surprisingly this one was still available. I was strongly considering pulling the trigger and saw the thread here about it. Those gorgeous photos at the top of the thread pushed me over the edge and I made the phone call. She arrived today.

Beautiful coin @BryceM! I'm glad you picked it up. This is sone of those coins where you'd keep on thinking about it, whether you bought it or not. One way is satisfying, the other not so much!

I actually don't share a significant percentage of the coins I purchase here. Some are better than others, sometimes I think it could complicate a potential future resale, and sometimes I'm worried it might cause resentment. Discretion is highly valued in this world...... but I'm a person who just thinks numismatics is fun and this is one of the funnest coins I've seen in a while. It doesn't seem right not to share it. It doesn't do anyone any good sitting in a dark SDB.

It is interesting what we share. I hope there wouldn't be any resentment. After all, we see great coins at all levels, including Bruce's coins!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bryce, that’s truly a special looking coin. It even has toning that a few of us refer to as “melted crayons toning”. And that’s a very good thing!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the coin but have to comment on the photography.

CRO uses Mark Goodman and I almost always love his work. When he's not in factory-mode his pix are as good as can be.

Your images, Bryce, have come a long way. I love what you've shown us the last several years. Every bit as good as Mark's (and he's the master). Kudos!
    Lance.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looked at CRO site. ALL the commems are sold!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one thing when you have a coin that's attractively toned, but when attractive toning also frames or complements the design, that takes it to the next level. Great coin! Congrats.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

CRO uses Mark Goodman and I almost always love his work. When he's not in factory-mode his pix are as good as can be.

Your images, Bryce, have come a long way. I love what you've shown us the last several years. Every bit as good as Mark's (and he's the master). Kudos!
    Lance.

While he has used Mark in the past, I think he has a local person doing it now -- faster turnaround and no shipping. I've done some for him at shows now and then, but there haven't been any of those since FUN.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

On my personal scale, eye appeal is 10/10.

From a technical viewpoint, the coin seems to compare well with the MS67+ coins on CoinFacts. Truly, it's so very rare to find great color and a technically nice coin in the same place. Luster on many great toners is diminished by the toning, but this one is luminescent. It's a little hard to compare from photos, but I'd say the two 68 coins with photos have a better overall state of surface preservation. There are a couple of little marks that are probably grade-defining but in terms of eye appeal, I can't find one that even has a chance of being better. Throw in the OGH and Gold CAC and it's really the whole package, with a cherry on top, and a side order of fries.

"Luminescent" is a great way to describe it. I also like the "melted crayons" descriptor used by @MFeld.
    Thanks for sharing this really magnificent looking commem.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

While he has used Mark in the past, I think he has a local person doing it now -- faster turnaround and no shipping. I've done some for him at shows now and then, but there haven't been any of those since FUN.

I didn't know that. I wonder who he might be using. The circle isn't that big.

Everyone knows messydesk does brilliant photography. I think he's won all the forum photography contests.
    Lance.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

When I was in college John needed a quick shot (and if I recall, it was something expensive) and swung by my dorm for while-you-wait service.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful piece and as expected great images, two thumbs up!

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are really great images.... Your photography is excellent. Also a great coin, I have been looking at them recently.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

excellent pictures ... excellent coin !! congratulations !!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous and a great pickup. Congratulations!

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin to be proud of, an AMAZING beauty.
    Congratulations my coin brother👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one is stunning. I'm not a huge fan of most commems either but you are correct, that one has it all. Icing on the cake, cherry on top and a side order of fries to boot.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at that earlier. That is a nice catch

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm happy for you. That coin is truly special.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the nice words guys. I collected this mess without particular attention to grade or even trying to assemble coins with a certain look. The primary criteria was to have fun:

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very attractive coin! The toning pattern and colors really add to the eye appeal!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! Very nice. No, much better than that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file