Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

As Coin Collecting is a sedentary pastime, what do you do to remain active?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love my downtime and studying and collecting coins is so enjoyable and allows me to escape the daily hassles of everyday life. With that said, I know we each need to get out there, stretch and exercise to remain healthy.

Anyone here run or perform other feats? I picked up a Peloton right before the pandemic and have enjoyed cycling to stay active. Your option?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Working at my job, volunteering, hiking, hunting & working around the house.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 4:12PM

I either run a couple miles or walk (with ankle weights) a few 2-3 times per week. I used to head over to the driving range a couple times a week until I injured my elbow. Basic stretching exercises, as needed.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@matt_dac said:
    Weights, treadmill, and paragliding for me. Never enough of course but still active.

Cool!
    Any chance you live close to LaJolla, California? There is a large GliderPort there.

peacockcoins

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spartan Obstacle Course races

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

My job is physically demanding. I also do a lot of biking and hiking.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I combine sports and coins by doing ten jumping jacks for each mouse click.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

I run just about every day and have two kids. I also do plenty of photography and hiking through nature.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@matt_dac said:
    Weights, treadmill, and paragliding for me. Never enough of course but still active.

Cool!
    Any chance you live close to LaJolla, California? There is a large GliderPort there.

Sadly no, but I flew at Torrey Pines this past February.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

yard work, going into town to deal with things, repairing the house when needed

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do deadlifts, Squats and bench presses in my home gym. For coins I drive to the banks/Safeway stores in search of new rolls for W coins, also check the Coinstar machines for silver, which July has been very good finding multiple silver dimes as not so smart people turn in their coins.

I also enjoy my home theater and reading magazines...

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be great.

Gallery Mint actually had one!

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

man, nice Tuna.... am I invited for dinner? ohhhh yummmmmmyy

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Run 50+ miles a week outdoors all year round, free weights in the backyard, meditate, metal detecting, gardening, eat, sleep, repeat. Life is good. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cut the grass with a self propelled mower that doesn't self propel anymore on some really steep hills in really hot weather :#

I really should fix that mower but the workout is great :p

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Active... I’ve been working from home since March of last year. Car has had 3500 miles out on it since then. Thank goodness my 5 year old has enough energy and excitability to keep me and my wife hopping.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Martial arts and ballroom dancing, of course ballroom has been severely restricted by the pandemic.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surf, Kayak, fish, etc.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I'm telecommuting for the foreseeable future, I try to get out for a walk or a bike ride at lunchtime. My company also has had a fitness trainer come in twice a week after work for a 1 hour boot camp. I thought I was going to die after class the first couple weeks, and could barely get my arms up to the steering wheel to drive home once or twice, but it's better now. The classes are now Webex meetings, so my wife gets to listen to the house shake when I'm doing burpees or cannonball jumps on the 2nd floor. Oh, and we get paid to participate, too -- $10 per session into our HSAs ($500 limit/year). If only I could find a place to buy some heavier dumbbells.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nightmares ... are my workout.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've scoured every mall,Dept. store, and business parking lot by my home looking for those elusive "gems" that populate those parking lots. :D

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

The garden gets smaller as I get older but I probably spend 2 hrs. a day watering, weeding and picking. In the winter it's shoveling snow plus I like hiking any time of the year.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty arthritic and have a bad knee from a mishap in the military so my activities are limited to my recumbent bike.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

I chase my wife around the store when we go shopping.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 9:57PM

Well.........,.....there is this nice little gal across town......and......ah...um...anyway.....hum......

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 9:56PM

@Hydrant said

I wish I hadn't said.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Drive my Porsche around looking for a race:)

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was running 3-5mi and lifting small weights at home (one, the other, or both every day) and then I sprained my ankle and apparently that means I’m unable to even do a sit up or push up.
    I’m hoping to get back to exercise tomorrow, just like I said yesterday.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@air4mdc said:
    Drive my Porsche around looking for a race:)

Okay, I'm game. Me and Pig against you and your Porsche. Only condition ... I pick the course! :D:D:D

God help me if you have one of those killer Rally or Baja Porsche's!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Metal detecting.
    In the past I hunted indian artifacts, but nobody plows anything around here anymore. :(
    Does fishing count? B)

• Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020 2:09AM

@numismapiddler said:
    Metal detecting.
    In the past I hunted indian artifacts, but nobody plows anything around here anymore. :(
    Does fishing count? B)

Fishing counts! Ever battle an AJ or billfish for two hours? Aboard the 1879 of course (Flower gardens, 83 miles offshore from Galveston). !

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walking classic TV talking to people and giving neighborhood dogs bones fwiw

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Working at the range (4-6 hours on my feet, moving constantly) a couple days a week...yard work, mountain walks...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gardening (1 acre home succulent garden, ca. 140 species of cacti, yuccas, agaves, euphorbias). I can't wait to get back to canyoneering in slots.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file