Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Simpson Sales Announced - Anyone Surprised?

shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heritage should do a good job with this stuff, maybe Hansen can finish some sets?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long has he owned his coins?

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 11:34AM

In 2008 he bought the Southern Collection so that is one reference point.

They make a strong effort to communicate that this is Simpson fine tuning his collection and not selling his collection en masse.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a long time, and he may still be buying...he's not selling everything. First auction is 300 "Box of 20" types. :#

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not surprised. I've recently seen him pass over coins that he would never have let get away a couple of years ago, so expected an announcement like this sometime soon. It will be REALLY interesting to see what he'll be parting with!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    In 2008 he bought the Southern Collection so that is one reference point.

My understanding is that Simpson was a very advanced long time collector at the time he bought that collection.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

The email i got from heritage gave me the impression that he was selling a major portion of his collection in this and upcoming auctions.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 9:00AM

Looks like this will be quite a few sales. Part 1 is September. Sales of other parts will continue into 2021.

He says he wants to "refocus my collecting efforts". Maybe he'll be going for the Brand-Cardinal-Morelan 1794 dollar :).

https://www.ha.com/heritage-auctions-press-releases-and-news/bob-r.-simpson-part-i-auction-announced-for-september-17-2020.s?releaseId=3915

Bob R. Simpson Part I Auction Announced For September 17, 2020

DALLAS, Texas (July 30, 2020) — Bob Simpson, the Texas energy executive and philanthropist, is as legendary in numismatic circles as the momentous United States coins he collects. And in coming months, Dallas-based Heritage Auctions will offer some of the greatest rarities found in Simpson's historic assemblage — or anywhere else in the world.

Simpson, whose collection is ranked by Professional Coin Grading Service as one of the best ever amassed, is deaccessioning selections from that collection beginning Sept. 17, 2020, and continuing into 2021.

"Important Selections from The Bob R. Simpson Collection, Part I" will include some of the most significant U.S. coins spanning the 18th century to the 20th century. The first sale, and those to follow, will take place exclusively through Heritage Auctions, the world's leading numismatic dealer and auctioneer.

"Like all collectors, I've put together sets and collections and sold coins along the way to refocus my collecting efforts," said Simpson. "And that is what I am doing here."

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Between these and TDN's coins, it looks like the next few months will be very expensive for high end US collectors!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

In the other thread from a few weeks ago, the OP asked where to auction, Legend or Great Collections. I said Heritage, I guess Simpson listened. :)

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Interesting choice of venue. I thought Legend had a long history with Simpson.

Was thinking the same. Bet there's more to the story.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 10:40AM

@Boosibri said:

"In 2008 he bought the Southern Collection so that is one reference point."

When I first glanced at this post I read it as.....In 2008 he bought Southern California. Wonder why my brain went there?.........
    ANYONE SURPRISED?

I think Boosibri was referring to Hansen?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there enough buyers for sales from Simpson and TDN's material to be absorbed fully?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Interesting choice of venue. I thought Legend had a long history with Simpson.

No offense to Legend, but I think Heritage gives the sales more visibility. Also consider that Simpson (AFAIK) doesn't own equity in Legend auctions, so there's no implicit additional discount in using them.

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 3:18PM

This is an interesting story about Bob Simpson told by Laura Sperber in 2011. She really don’t say what year she “hopped on a plane”, but we know Legend Numismatics was formed in 1986.

https://youtu.be/33d4OB240qU

“Not going to sell anytime in our lifetime”

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read the writing on the wall... Newman, Pogue, Simpson, TDN... Most of the larger fish are bailing. I see this as a sign that those with the most to lose want to bail before they take even larger losses.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't concern myself.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Strong hands" aren't always necessarily so. People sell for all different reasons and there is no predicting it.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 8:50PM

@MrEureka said:

@coinbuf said:
    Are there enough buyers for sales from Simpson and TDN's material to be absorbed fully?

There are always enough buyers. The sellers just might not be happy with the prices.

Which is what I'm getting at, if these are no reserve (no potted plant) auctions I would think the sellers could come up short on some of the coins.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:
    Newman didn’t start selling until he turned 100. (My hero!)

Gene Gardner also held his coins for a long time.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 8:53PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    Same for Newman.

I've been on a Newman kick recently & have been reading everything about him.
    Short answer..AGREE w/ TDN

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Gene Gardner got diagnosed with
    terminal cancer
    In order to not burden his heirs
    the responsibility of selling his vast numismatic holdings, Eric Newman hired Stuart Levine who used Heritage.
    To date, We don’t know what or exactly whySimpson is selling.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like there are 349 lots opening up on Aug 28th, for the Sep. 17th Auction...lots of patterns. Part 1

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

When anyone who is passionate about something sells their collection, it always takes me by surprise. I dont quite know why, as nothing lasts forever.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020 7:34PM

Thanks for the video. I really enjoyed it. Very informative and Laura was quite gracious.

Eric Newman was (and still is) my hero, also. He was the quintessential numismatist and I loved the way that he handled EVERYTHING.......The way that he collected, holding on as long as he could, but still being able to witness and realize the fruits of his passions and labors before he left us, and to see it put to good use. I want to be JUST like him. What a gentleman.

Gene Gardner had terminal cancer, so he did the right thing for his heirs and his estate. Very sad.....

DIVORCE is an UGLY word and happens, SO OFTEN, these days....Nobody has ANY INTEGRITY, anymore. My advice is simple and clear. Just two Words----'PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT'. Believe me you.....I practice what I preach. VERY SORRY that Mr. Simpson is having to endure this current situation but these days it has become the norm.

As for TDN and D. Brent Pogue......I haven't the first clue as to the 'WHY'. I STILL don't know Brent's cause of death, either, which was just ANOTHER shock to me.

This is a great thread and I very much enjoy listening to the sages speak. Thank You. :)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    Thanks for the video. I really enjoyed it. Very informative and Laura was quite gracious.

Eric Newman was (and still is) my hero, also. He was the quintessential numismatist and I loved the way that he handled EVERYTHING.......The way that he collected, holding on as long as he could, but still being able to witness and realize the fruits of his passions and labors before he left us, and to see it put to good use. I want to be JUST like him. What a gentleman.

Gene Gardner had terminal cancer, so he did the right thing for his heirs and his estate. Very sad.....

DIVORCE is an UGLY word and happens, SO OFTEN, these days....Nobody has ANY INTEGRITY, anymore. My advice is simple and clear. Just two Words----'PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT'. Believe me you.....I practice what I preach. VERY SORRY that Mr. Simpson is having to endure this current situation but these days it has become the norm.

As for TDN and D. Brent Pogue......I haven't the first clue as to the 'WHY'. I STILL don't know Brent's cause of death, either, which was just ANOTHER shock to me.

This is a great thread and I very much enjoy listening to the sages speak. Thank You. :)

Lot of times it’s just life that happens

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2020 10:52PM

The great thing about Eric was that he not only collected and held for a long time, he did a lot of research, left behind the NNP, and even collected lots of related things that others don't. I was surprised that he not only had a 19th century counterfeit detecting scale, but that he had a large number of them!

• Options

With the Simpson and Morelan sales, is Hansen the only remaining non-anonymous top collector?

Others like Tyrant, Black Cat, Hedgie, are all private.

Forsythe does have the Eliasberg-Morelan 1913 Liberty nickel and some great collections!

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I think it is great for the hobby that these coins circulate and re-circulate.

No doubt all the famous collectors listed above are true luminaries for our hobby, and those still with us, will hopefully continue to be involved for many years to come.

We all benefit from their passion, knowledge and what they have collectively given to numismatics.

Cheers!

• Options

The new Legend Market Report has some interesting info and comments on the Simpson sale

• Options
    edited August 1, 2020 8:36AM

@Gazes said:
    The new Legend Market Report has some interesting info and comments on the Simpson sale

Thanks for the heads up. Here's the link:

https://www.legendnumismatics.com/market_reports/the-ultimate-collection/

The following indicates something about the sale. Looks like exactly half his collection. He's keeping the John Wilkison gold which is something I certainly would do. I'm guessing he knows that if he sells those, there's very little chance of ever getting them back.

We were as shocked as any one to hear Mr Simpson was selling part (half to be exact) of his collection.
    [...]
    Mr Simpson is NOT selling everything. He is keeping his Amazonian Gold, ALL his gold Patterns, his Saints and his $10 Indians (which are his favorites). He is keeping many other cool coins as well.

I wouldn't indicate the coins being sold are "lesser" in any way. I would say something like, they are all great, and what is being sold and kept is due to personal preference.

With out a doubt even the “lesser” coins he is selling (when compared to what he kept) rank as some of the finest ever rarities.

Why not the following? Sometimes less is more.

With out a doubt even the “lesser” coins he is selling (when compared to what he kept) rank as some of the finest ever rarities.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Selling exactly half lines up with a divorce. What a sad reason to have to sell.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some absolutely fabulous sets being sold by Mr. Simpson. Like finest MS trimes. I recognize many others from years past as well. Everyone should at least look at the coins/pics.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2020 10:17AM

@Zoins said:
    Mr Simpson is NOT selling everything. He is keeping his Amazonian Gold, ALL his gold Patterns, his Saints and his $10 Indians (which are his favorites). He is keeping many other cool coins as well.

Hansen's 1st obsession was saints, I wonder if Simpson is the same.

• Options
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting to note that at the time of that interview the market for PM's and coins was at or near its top after the decade + long run-up. now, while PM's have risen due to World events the prices on coins are tending to go in the other direction, though I really doubt anything Mr. Simpson is selling will suffer. great coins seem to weather any storm.

• Options

@keets said:
    great coins seem to weather any storm.

Some of the Pogue coins went relatively cheaply.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

the prices on coins are tending to go in the other direction

Huh? Then, how come I keep getting destroyed in Heritage Auctions?

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

@1peter1223 said:

@Zoins said:

@keets said:
    great coins seem to weather any storm.

Some of the Pogue coins went relatively cheaply.

Yes .
    The $5 1854-S PCGS AU58+ CAC .
    Could have sold for much more under different economic situation .

He was originally budgeting $4m so that's a 50% haircut.

• Options

It is my understanding that there will be 5 sales. If the next four are similar to the coins available in the first sale than it will be a truely breathtaking collection being sold.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:
    It is my understanding that there will be 5 sales. If the next four are similar to the coins available in the first sale than it will be a truely breathtaking collection being sold.

He only has great coins. Some greater then others so I totally agree

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file