Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Patterns from the Wilkison Collection - Thanks Ron!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 21, 2018 12:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to Ron ( @CoinKing ) for this series of PCGS Blog articles. The PCGS Blog is a great way to learn about some wonderful coins.

Here's one coin from each article but there are more so be sure to read each one for more.

Judd 67 / Pollock 70 from Part I. This is the plate coin for the Akers’ Pattern book. There's some interesting information on originals vs. restrikes with the latter being known due to being overstruck later dated coins.

Judd 115, Pollock 130 from Part II. One of likely 6 or 7. These are hand cut by James Barton Longacre and as such each one has some minor differences. Are any other patterns hand engraved?

Judd 137, Pollock 164 from Part III. One of two. These dollar patterns were overstruck on quarter eagles. The article says that "Clearly, Judd 137’s were struck as rarities for sale to collectors." I knew that off metal and fantasy date pieces were struck for collectors but didn't realize some designs may have been created solely for collectors as well. How many pattern types were only created for collectors?

Judd 271 / Pollock 319 from Part IV. One of two. Very interesting that this has the diameter of a $10 coin but is much thinner to accommodate the larger diameter. The "V" in FIVE is also an inverted "A". The article doesn't mention why the V is an inverted A, but my theory is this is due to the Mint having no "V" punch for the ten dollar coin whereas F, I, and E all exist in "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA TEN D."

Update: The John Wilkison Registry Set link has been added to the thread below and here:

https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/alltimeset/22286

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file