Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Scanning chrome cards on a Canon 9000F Mark II...help!

shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Since my scanner absolutely sucks at scanning Chrome cards, I'm thinking I'll have to take photos of them from now on. Any recommendations on which holder to use? Should it be on a little bit of a downward tilt, or straight up and down? Or do the holder and angle not make make much of a difference?

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I exclusively use my scanner now since buying an Epson V370

however, I did make a holder out of an old toploader awhile back. I think I threw it away, but I basically cut it into the same shape as those little stands and then split it open. worked perfectly.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    Since my scanner absolutely sucks at scanning Chrome cards, I'm thinking I'll have to take photos of them from now on. Any recommendations on which holder to use? Should it be on a little bit of a downward tilt, or straight up and down? Or do the holder and angle not make make much of a difference?

I just bought some of these with good results: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-SMALL-UNFOLDABLE-PHOTO-POSTCARD-TOPLOADER-SCREWDOWN-CLEAR-STAND-HOLDERS/163870884098?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

I thought I'd take this thread in a different direction and see if anyone has tips for scanning chrome cards on a Canon 9000 F Mark II before I go the photo/holder route. I'm happy with the results from this scanner for everything except chrome cards. No matter what I do, they seem to come out glowing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    I thought I'd take this thread in a different direction and see if anyone has tips for scanning chrome cards on a Canon 9000 F Mark II before I go the photo/holder route. I'm happy with the results from this scanner for everything except chrome cards. No matter what I do, they seem to come out glowing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Could you please post some examples?

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2020 10:57PM

hold on, the 9000F is a CCD scanner, which should take great scans. what are your settings? each models LED lighting element may be in different locations, which lead to different types of "patterns". unfortunately, all chrome cards will show as dark when scanning as opposed to their refractor counterparts which will have a rainbow reflective appearance. here is how my scanner processes both types of the same card, one chrome and one refractor. this is from my Epson V370, which has a nearly equal imaging capabilities as your Canon.

to capture the true color and vibrancy of a base chrome card, a scan will not provide you with the image you want when compared to an actual picture.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

And if you take a picture, play with the placement of the card and do not tilt it - you want a nice level photo. If you’re inclined, set up a photo shoot with card on flat surface and the camera above.

The best tip I can offer is to use your phone and move the card in the frame on the screen so it is well lit but with no glare on the holder. To accomplish this best, you will probably have the card off center in the initial photo - but tap your finger on the card before you take the photo. Then, go to the edit function and crop it and you should have a really solid looking photo Of your “Chrome” card.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭