Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Graded Card Scanning Guide - Take a Look!

NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been working on scanning my PSA cards over the last year or so. Over that time I have run a number of questions past some of you and requested feedback from some more of you. I decided to compile a guide showing some guidelines, tips, tricks and workflow I received from you and other sources.

I compare the Epson V600 and Canon 9000f, both of which I own. Ultimately, the guide uses the V600 for the main workflow.

Let me know your thoughts, revisions, etc. I am open to feedback. Thanks!

Edit 6/25/2021:
REV 04: Added Section 6 covering IrfanView – Batch Image Processing.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EumHbtWfBrWebafPHU4a18OgFVdzjffp/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great guide. Thanks for posting. Will have to try some of those tips.

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Awesome! Very easy to follow.

I didn't see any tips for multiple cards on the scanner bed. Do you only recommend scanning one card at a time?

• Options

@SOM said:
    Awesome! Very easy to follow.

I didn't see any tips for multiple cards on the scanner bed. Do you only recommend scanning one card at a time?

Yes, I always do one at a time. I have seen variation in the scans based on where the cards are placed on the glass. Also, alignment would be even more challenging.

I am sure it can be done successfully, but I prefer the single card method.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent guide with some good tips, very professionally put together. Thank you for making it! :smile:

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guide is awesome with easy to follow instructions. There are great examples showing the varying results for the different techniques that are used.

Great job putting this together.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@divecchia said:
    This guide is awesome with easy to follow instructions. There are great examples showing the varying results for the different techniques that are used.

Great job putting this together.

Donato

Thanks. The info I compiled in this guide was taken from many sources and a bunch or trial and error. I figured why not summarize it all in one document and share it with the masses...

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017 4:19PM

I read it, tried it and figured I'd share because I'm quite happy to have read it and applied what I could. I'd only add that I used an HP Office Jet 4620 Print/Fax/Scan/Copy - it has a recessed bed that's about the exact thickness of a standard top loader which is helpful...(Fixed)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited December 19, 2017 2:48PM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I read it, tried it and figured I'd share becuase I'm quite . I'd only add that I used an HP Office Jet 4620 Print/Fax/Scan/Copy - it has a recessed bed thats about the exact thickness of a standard top loader which is helpful...

Not sure if your scanner is a CIS or CCD type. Hard to say since it looks like you are scanning a card in a plastic sleeve, so both types of scanners will be similar in result. I am not sure how you feel about this scan because you typed "I read it, tried it and figured I'd share becuase I'm quite . " Looked like you stopped mid sentence...

if you could, you would surely benefit by removing the card from the sleeve and scanning directly on the glass.

Trick is, unless you have one of the scanners in my guide, your images will more than likely not look like the ones in the guide. The device has much more to do with the outcome than then process.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is easily a "hobby" contribution post of the year candidate.

A lot of hard work, time and effort went into this project.

I'm immensely indebted to you for doing it.

Thanx!

Question: what's your first name?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    This one is easily a "hobby" contribution post of the year candidate.

A lot of hard work, time and effort went into this project.

I'm immensely indebted to you for doing it.

Thanx!

Question: what's your first name?

It is on the bottom of the first page of the guide. Nic

Thanks for the kind words.

For those of you who have already viewed it, I just updated it with higher quality pictures. WORD was reducing the images when importing, I removed that limitation.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanx Nic.

I'll be saving this for sure!

Mike
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Thanks for putting that together. I realized bgs holders do have there place in my collection ;)

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

NGS428: Your guide is "5-Star/Top Shelf"! I think I speak for others by saying you are very kind and unselfish for sharing your work with us. "Thank You"
    Jim

• Options

@59Horsehide said:
    NGS428: Your guide is "5-Star/Top Shelf"! I think I speak for others by saying you are very kind and unselfish for sharing your work with us. "Thank You"
    Jim

Much appreciated! Thanks Jim.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2017 11:36PM

Amazing contribution to the website. Thank you! I just went step by step with my V600 and scanned this colorful card from the top of my PSA stack on my desk.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2017 6:17AM

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Amazing contribution to the website. Thank you! I just went step by step with my V600 and scanned this colorful card from the top of my PSA stack on my desk.

Looking good! I see that card has an inner sleeve, making it another and more reflective layer the scanner has to penetrate. Similar to a BGS holder.

You could try turning unsharp mask to medium and compare the results.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

My apologies, I didn't have the guts for the Dimaggio - it's too thin to take out and scan raw. However, I put this 1936 Wheaties Series 4 Lou Gehrig right on the glass and I'm amazed at the scan it produced - really. See for yourself! Thanks again - I'm really new to scanning and your tips are great.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    My apologies, I didn't have the guts for the Dimaggio - it's too thin to take out and scan raw. However, I put this 1936 Wheaties Series 4 Lou Gehrig right on the glass and I'm amazed at the scan it produced - really. See for yourself! Thanks again - I'm really new to scanning and your tips are great.

Can't blame you on the Dimaggio.

On that scan, love it! That scan really jumps off the page! Great detail.

• Options

Hey Nic,
    Thanks for sharing the work you put into this, I printed off your guide followed all your steps and made my first scan. I also added the scan I had taken before it looks a little cartoonish now that I see them side by side. Now I need to see if I can upload that TIFF file into flickr or not, looks like I'll have to rescan a ton of cards now :# .

I wasn't able to upload my new scan, what irfanView download do I need to get?

Thanks again, Tim

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2017 6:32AM

@Largentcollector said:
    Hey Nic,
    Thanks for sharing the work you put into this, I printed off your guide followed all your steps and made my first scan. I also added the scan I had taken before it looks a little cartoonish now that I see them side by side. Now I need to see if I can upload that TIFF file into flickr or not, looks like I'll have to rescan a ton of cards now :# .

I wasn't able to upload my new scan, what irfanView download do I need to get?

Thanks again, Tim

Hi Tim. Looking at a bunch of the scans posted on the forums, yours seemed pretty darn good in comparison. If you were able to squeeze a bit more out with this guide, that is great!

For Irfanview, go to
    1. irfanview.com
    2. Assuming you have a 64 bit Windows PC you would then go to the irfanview 64-bit link on the left side of the page.
    3. Then click on the link that says: "download IrfanView-64 English (Version 4.50, Self extracting EXE file, 3.34 MB)"
    4. It will take you to a CNET.com page that is a pain in the butt to find the download link sometimes...

Or you can just download from my Dropbox at: https://dropbox.com/s/m5qi4ef8mebno6u/iview450_x64_setup.exe?dl=0

If you have something other than 64 bit windows there will be a different file needed.

Thanks!

• Options

@JBrules said:
    Great guide. Thanks for posting. Will have to try some of those tips.

Thanks. Hope you were able to use some of the tips!

• Options

If anyone is having software issues with the V600, please go to the Epson website at

https://epson.com/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-V600-Photo/s/SPT_B11B198011#drivers

and download the latest drivers. There were issues with the software hanging up.

Happy scanning!

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Hey, great guide and the BGS card trick is so simple and obvious but great - how did I miss it?!

I'd like to contribute this video I made a long time ago for a friend (excuse my sniffling as I was sick at the time) showing how to align and size the card in GIMP image editor (free) even if slightly crooked.

https://youtu.be/CSk0mEguxi4

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options

Beautiful guide, and saved me a ton of time as I just started trying to scan my collection. Thank You!

• Options

@tmichaels2001 said:
    Beautiful guide, and saved me a ton of time as I just started trying to scan my collection. Thank You!

Great! Let me know if you have any questions. Also, feel free to post some of your scans! Happy new year!

• Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Very well done and much appreciated. Thanks for your effort!

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have any tips for scanning foil cards in which the final scan appears very dark? Attached is an example along with a random card with the same settings.

• Options

@dytch2220 said:
    Hey, great guide and the BGS card trick is so simple and obvious but great - how did I miss it?!

I'd like to contribute this video I made a long time ago for a friend (excuse my sniffling as I was sick at the time) showing how to align and size the card in GIMP image editor (free) even if slightly crooked.

https://youtu.be/CSk0mEguxi4

Just watched it. Great tutorial. Downloading GIMP as I type. Thanks.

• Options

@maddux69 said:
    Do you have any tips for scanning foil cards in which the final scan appears very dark? Attached is an example along with a random card with the same settings.

Each of those cards are a different animal.. I have not found a solution yet, but I will pass one on if I do.

• Options

I made some updates to the guide and re-linked it in the first post.

Happy new year everyone!

• Options
    edited December 30, 2019 3:49PM

Thanks for the update notice. Happy New Year!!!

• Options
    edited April 19, 2020 8:16PM

Revised the section on refractor scanning, adding a few tips from forum members.

1,000th post. Yeah!!!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might be the thing in the hobby that I endorse the most. It should be pinned to the top of every hobby message board.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    This might be the thing in the hobby that I endorse the most. It should be pinned to the top of every hobby message board.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur, I agree. Cataloging with detail the cards by cert number is important. PSA has been starting to do this themselves with SecureScan as they too have started to see the importance. I enjoy doing it just to catalog my collection, but it has many other benefits.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great work putting together that file, thanks again.

One note: be careful placing and removing those BGS holders to and from your scanner bed. Their squared-off hard plastic edges can scratch the scanner glass a lot more easily than most of the generations of PSA holders do.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

One note: be careful placing and removing those BGS holders to and from your scanner bed. Their squared-off hard plastic edges can scratch the scanner glass a lot more easily than most of the generations of PSA holders do.

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye out for that!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2020 5:09AM

@NGS428 said:

@miwlvrn said:

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye out for that!

I'm not sure if all scanner glass is created equally, or if some scanners have more scratch-resistant surfaces than others? Maybe there is a coating that reduces the chance for scratches like there is with eyeglasses?

I am still happily using my Epson V300, but I did manage to put a scratch in the glass thanks to a BGS corner that I should have been more careful with when placing. Oops!

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't buy a V600 without this thread and @NGS428 's guide. Thanks for all that legwork :) It's my purchase of the year. Couple quick samples.

• Options

New REV posted.

Edit 9/14/20:
    Added a section on scanning Apps and added to the holder preparation section.

Thanks!

• Options

@NGS428 said:
    New REV posted.

Edit 9/14/20:

Thanks!

I have seen your amazing work, it's great for newbies like me.
    I dont have a Epson perfection V370, v600 or Canon 9000f but i can get a Epson perfection V200 photo or Epson perfection V30 do you have any experience with them? are they suitable for the work?

Thanks in advance and as i said you're doing an amazing work.

• Options
    edited December 8, 2020 3:41PM

@emirikol1984 said:

@NGS428 said:
    New REV posted.

Edit 9/14/20:

Thanks!

I dont have a Epson perfection V370, v600 or Canon 9000f but i can get a Epson perfection V200 photo or Epson perfection V30 do you have any experience with them? are they suitable for the work?

Thank you. The V30 or V200 should work, they are CCD scanners and I see they have a driver (from 2009) listed under windows 10 (assuming that is what you have). That would be a way to go, I just worry about operating system compatibility in the short term. Both should get you the same result.

V37 would be a slightly newer version you could also consider.

• Options
    emirikol1984emirikol1984 Posts: 2
    edited December 9, 2020 9:53AM

@NGS428 said:

@emirikol1984 said:

@NGS428 said:
    New REV posted.

Edit 9/14/20:

Thanks!

Thank you. The V30 or V200 should work, they are CCD scanners and I see they have a driver (from 2009) listed under windows 10 (assuming that is what you have). That would be a way to go, I just worry about operating system compatibility in the short term. Both should get you the same result.

I have look for V600 but in EU it’s 280-300€, the V370 it’s currently not for sale and in the 2nd hand markets it hits the same price as new (so it’s a no for me), about V37 I can’t find any operational one for sale.
    Just found a V30 and a V200 like new. V200 also uses fluorescent lamp instead V30 led (I don’t know it this is better or worse). I have seen a V350 too but I don’t know if it will make a difference with V30 or V200.

I’m concerned about drivers too but I expect to use with VueScan if things get worse.

I have just seen i have a Konica Minolta 284e printer wich also can scan up to 600ppp so i can give it a try with some photoshop postproduction but i have no idea what i'm doing,to be honest.

I want to ask you how big are your files too? i dont know how much space will i need if i go with 300 or 400dpi.

• Options

@emirikol1984 said:

@NGS428 said:

@emirikol1984 said:

@NGS428 said:
    New REV posted.

Edit 9/14/20:

Thanks!

I have look for V600 but in EU it’s 280-300€, the V370 it’s currently not for sale and in the 2nd hand markets it hits the same price as new (so it’s a no for me), about V37 I can’t find any operational one for sale.
    Just found a V30 and a V200 like new. V200 also uses fluorescent lamp instead V30 led (I don’t know it this is better or worse). I have seen a V350 too but I don’t know if it will make a difference with V30 or V200.

I’m concerned about drivers too but I expect to use with VueScan if things get worse.

I have just seen i have a Konica Minolta 284e printer wich also can scan up to 600ppp so i can give it a try with some photoshop postproduction but i have no idea what i'm doing,to be honest.

I want to ask you how big are your files too? i dont know how much space will i need if i go with 300 or 400dpi.

Whichever scanner you go with, just make sure it is a CCD type. Not a CIS type. My guide walks through that in the first section.

The uncompressed TIF image files are around 7MB, while the compressed JPG images are about 2MB.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2020 9:10AM

Edit 12/10/20:
    Expanded Section 1.1 on scanner examples to include some higher and lower end models. Also noted the model PSA SecureScan uses. Added section 3.3 on display gamma.

See the first post for the download link.

• Options

Edit 6/25/2021:
    REV 04: Added Section 6 covering IrfanView – Batch Image Processing.

See the first post for the download link.

• Options

this is great stuff. do you know of a mac os equivalent to irfan? thanks!

• Options
    edited June 29, 2021 12:05PM

@beachbumcollecting said:

While I don’t have a Mac to test that version out, this looks like a suitable alternative.

https://www.xnview.com/en/xnconvert/#downloads

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad this got bumped. I'm adding the URL to my favorites so I never have to search for it again when I want to spread the word of the good book. This tutorial changed my life. I love you, Nic.

Arthur
    xoxoxoxoxo

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@beachbumcollecting said:

While I don’t have a Mac to test that version out, this looks like a suitable alternative.

https://www.xnview.com/en/xnconvert/#downloads

thanks!!! I will check it out this evening