Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Amazing Fugio with All-Seeing Eye

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 23, 2020 7:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I love the look of this piece!

This was owned by:

Have to keep an eye out for this when it becomes available again! ;)

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. ⭐️

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok. That is flipping awesome

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Ok. That is flipping awesome

What he said.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool B)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular!
    Looking forward to obtaining one nearly identical but dated 1786

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a wicked cool looking specimen I like

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a word. .. wow!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa!

• Options
    edited July 23, 2020 12:35AM

It's pretty amazing that this can be traced to Charles Ira Bushnell (1826-1883). Very long provenance.

Here's an 1859 medal honoring Bushnell, which was commissioned by August Benjamin Sage, co-founder of ANS. It's especially impressive that it's number one.

Here's some great information on Bushnell by our own @Broadstruck:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/889425/charles-ira-bushnell-augustus-b-sage-numismatic-gallery

The following is an excerpt that just covers Bushnell.

Years later, on February 23, 1867, Sage recalled his friend: About the year 1858 I first met Mr. Charles Bushnell, a gentleman who has probably done as much as any other in the country to advance the interest of numismatology. Mr. Bushnell then had his office at No. 63 Wall Street, engaged in the practice of his profession, as a lawyer, and was then, and is still engaged, I believe, on a work which ever completed, published I should say, will rank as the only authentic History of American coinage ever published in this country. During my time there have been numerous efforts by ‘historians of an hour’s growth’ to send their name (and the printers) to posterity, on the title page of an American numismatic work. [Such have been of little value.] Mr. Bushnell has published a work on American tokens, the letter press consisting mostly of descriptions of such tokens as came within his observation prior to its publication. What with the thousands of ‘store cards’ and copperheads that have been uttered since, I fancy such a work would now prove rather voluminous.

Today, numismatic historians remember Bushnell for his 1858 study, An Arrangement of Tradesmen’s Cards, Political Tokens, also, Election Medals, Medalets, Etc. Current in the United States of America for the Last Sixty Years, Described from the Originals, Chiefly in the Collection of the Author, With Engravings, and his 1859 monograph, An Historical Account of the First Three Business Tokens Issued In The City of New York. The last described “1789” Mott and 1794-1795 Talbot, Allum & Lee tokens.

Another recollection of Bushnell was given by Henry Russell Drowne:I remember calling on, I judge about 1873, great collector of the American series. Charles I. Bushnell. He then resided in a house on the east side of 4th Avenue, I think between 29th and 30th streets, I am impressed with the fact that it had no front stoop. Mr. Bushnell, who was then quite advanced in years, had his coin cabinet in a small room near the rear of the house on the second floor. I remember particularly his showing me his rare varieties of the 1793 cents—Wreath, Chain, Liberty Cap, etc., which I had not seen before; also some of the differences in the cents of 1794. He also showed his ‘Good Samaritan Shilling’ as something of special interest, as also the New England and Pine Tree Shilling series. He gave me several coins and medals, some of which I still have.

For whatever reason, Bushnell was not very active in numismatics after the Civil War, and the Drowne visit seems to have been unusual for the time. He died at his residence on September 17, 1880. His estate collection was obtained by Lorin G. Parmelee, a Boston bean baker who had one of the largest cabinets of the era. He extracted pieces of interest, and placed the substantial remainder in the hands of brothers S.H. and Henry Chapman, who auctioned it in a memorable sale in June 1882, via a catalogue titled Catalogue of the Celebrated and Valuable Collection of American Coins and Medals of the Late Charles I. Bushnell. The work, over 140 pages, described 3,000 lots. Realized $13,900.47.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting the link

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Thanks for posting the link

Yes, I didn't know if that was a pattern or a medallion.....

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an incredible piece in the OP....What a thrill it would be to hold that for in hand review. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool piece! Neat info.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

KNOCKOUT!

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's a beauty.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

never seen that one before, amongst many others. link for posterity and research.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stacks photos look much more accurate to me.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2020 6:04PM

Oh my Goodness!! That is the nicest Fugio that I have ever seen. If I were going to own just ONE; that would be it. One to salt away and keep for the ages. o:)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    edited July 23, 2020 7:14PM

@GoBust said:
    I just couldn't resist when i had it in hand. I've completed essentially all of the so- called Fugio restrikes listed in Newman. A small, eclectic group of really non-collectible coins since there are not enough examples to really develop a following. Anthony Terranova allowed me to essentially complete the set by sending his rare restrikes my way. He had owned some for decades. I was thinking about putting the set up on PCGS as a showcase, but haven't found the time yet. The all seeing eye Fugio definitely has just that "cool" appeal. The pattern looks nice in brass as well. It's of course not really a restrike at all.

Amazing! Congrats on such an awesome collection. I'm jealous :)

I agree the All-Seeing Eye Fugio is a stand out design. I love how the eye is fitted into the American Congress ring. I also love the clean fields on the obverse without the words, date and motto. This is my favorite design so far.

You should definitely consider putting it up on PCGS as a showcase. I would love to see your set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file