Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charles Ira Bushnell - Augustus B. Sage “Numismatic Gallery”

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
1859 Charles Ira Bushnell - Augustus B. Sage “Numismatic Gallery” Series No.1, Copper, 31mm Diameter.

This Charles Ira Bushnell token is listed as #58 in the book titled "100 Greatest American Medals And Tokens" Although Augustus B. Sage in this series addressed other prominent 19th century numismatists, today they are lesser known and Bushnell is the only one that is sought out. This is only the second example I've seen on the market as I was the under bidder on a lower grade example in early 2011. QDB himself needed to borrow an example from the Massachusetts Historical Society museum for the book plate and Harry Bass Jr. only managed to acquire a EF40.

Newp with a big thanks to dealer-member njcoincrank who's table has been the first I wander to every year when entering the brouse at the GSNA show. Although I'm not doing it justice in my non diffused images, this instantly caught my eye and I never asked about a best price or even reached for a loupe. As once in hand and rotated it under a light source it became total fully proof-like red/brown eye candy blanketed with lovely deep blue patina and made my wallet wiggle.

Charles I. Bushnell - The “Numismatic Gallery” Series by Q. David Bowers:

Our next string of “Focus on People” subjects will bring to the fore a group of numismatists who were viewed as hobby leaders in 1859. That’s right, 1859, or nearly 150 years ago!

Augustus B. Sage, teenage New York City coin dealer and primary founder (in March 1858) of the American Numismatic Society, hit upon the idea of issuing a numbered series of medals titled “Numismatic Gallery.” He commissioned George H. Lovett, well known New York die-sinker, to create them, featuring on the obverse of each the portrait of the individual honored, and on the reverse the number and related lettering. Measuring about 31 mm each and available in copper these seem to have enjoyed a popularity at the time. Today, all are fairly scarce in the context of the demand for them, with populations for each generally in the dozens, not the hundreds or the thousands.

The series began and ended in 1859, and wound down with number nine. Modern day numismatic historians are confronted with a mystery: number four, featuring Dr. James Chilton, was advertised, and yet no example has ever surfaced—not in an old time auction, not in the marvelous holdings of the American Numismatic Society, and not in any private collections of which we are aware. Chilton, medical doctor and chemist, widely lent or sold his name for use in advertising and endorsements during the 1850s. Perhaps Sage naively thought that he could feature Chilton, also a well-known numismatist, as a subject, and then found out differently when Chilton demanded payment or denied the privilege. As noted, the situation is a mystery.

The first honoree, showcased in this installment, is Charles I. Bushnell. In 1857, Sage submitted a series of articles, including answers to questions, for the New-York Dispatch, signing them “Gus.” A challenger rose, an anonymous correspondent who was designated as “Numismatist.” Some repartee ensued, all of which is documented in Q. David Bowers’ American Numismatics Before the Civil War book. “Numismatist” took particular exception to “Gus” citing as a reliable authority the 1842 book by J.R. Eckfeldt and W.E. Dubois, A Manual of Gold and Silver Coins of All Nations, Struck Within the Past Century, which became known popularly as the Assay Manual.

In time, “Numismatist” revealed himself to be Charles Ira Bushnell. The two met and became close friends. Bushnell had a medal struck showing a standing figure of Hercules with a club resting over left shoulder in the manner of a baseball bat and his right hand pointing to a fallen goddess (representing the Manual); the inscription BEHOLD THE MANUAL surrounding. The reverse was inscribed NUMISMATIST [Bushnell] TO GUS. FOR VALOR. Three examples were struck, one for Sage, one for the New York Sunday Dispatch, and the third for Bushnell himself. In 1864 Sage donated his medal to the American Numismatic and Archaeological Society.

Charles I. Bushnell

It was perhaps natural when Sage began his Numismatic Gallery series of medalets that Bushnell be selected as number one. As to the subject, a brief biographical sketch follows.

Charles I. Bushnell was born on July 28, 1821. In time he became an attorney in New York City, while at the same time pursuing interests in numismatic and historical research, with his most intense activity in the 1850s, when he conducted extensive correspondence in an effort to learn more about the origins of certain early American coins and tokens. Certain of this information was employed by Sylvester S. Crosby in his Early Coins of America (1875) and by Lyman H. Low in his Hard Times Tokens (1899). He is credited by some to have induced the Scovill Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut, to create fantasies and restrikes to his order, among which were certain pieces related to maker Scovill to restrike the 1837-1841 Hard Times tokens, and possibly also copy-restrikes of the 1787 Fugio cent the so-called “New Haven restrikes.” however, Messrs. Davenport and Levick may have been more involved than Bushnell.

Years later, on February 23, 1867, Sage recalled his friend: About the year 1858 I first met Mr. Charles Bushnell, a gentleman who has probably done as much as any other in the country to advance the interest of numismatology. Mr. Bushnell then had his office at No. 63 Wall Street, engaged in the practice of his profession, as a lawyer, and was then, and is still engaged, I believe, on a work which ever completed, published I should say, will rank as the only authentic History of American coinage ever published in this country. During my time there have been numerous efforts by ‘historians of an hour’s growth’ to send their name (and the printers) to posterity, on the title page of an American numismatic work. [Such have been of little value.] Mr. Bushnell has published a work on American tokens, the letter press consisting mostly of descriptions of such tokens as came within his observation prior to its publication. What with the thousands of ‘store cards’ and copperheads that have been uttered since, I fancy such a work would now prove rather voluminous.

Today, numismatic historians remember Bushnell for his 1858 study, An Arrangement of Tradesmen’s Cards, Political Tokens, also, Election Medals, Medalets, Etc. Current in the United States of America for the Last Sixty Years, Described from the Originals, Chiefly in the Collection of the Author, With Engravings, and his 1859 monograph, An Historical Account of the First Three Business Tokens Issued In The City of New York. The last described “1789” Mott and 1794-1795 Talbot, Allum & Lee tokens.

Another recollection of Bushnell was given by Henry Russell Drowne:I remember calling on, I judge about 1873, great collector of the American series. Charles I. Bushnell. He then resided in a house on the east side of 4th Avenue, I think between 29th and 30th streets, I am impressed with the fact that it had no front stoop. Mr. Bushnell, who was then quite advanced in years, had his coin cabinet in a small room near the rear of the house on the second floor. I remember particularly his showing me his rare varieties of the 1793 cents—Wreath, Chain, Liberty Cap, etc., which I had not seen before; also some of the differences in the cents of 1794. He also showed his ‘Good Samaritan Shilling’ as something of special interest, as also the New England and Pine Tree Shilling series. He gave me several coins and medals, some of which I still have.

For whatever reason, Bushnell was not very active in numismatics after the Civil War, and the Drowne visit seems to have been unusual for the time. He died at his residence on September 17, 1880. His estate collection was obtained by Lorin G. Parmelee, a Boston bean baker who had one of the largest cabinets of the era. He extracted pieces of interest, and placed the substantial remainder in the hands of brothers S.H. and Henry Chapman, who auctioned it in a memorable sale in June 1882, via a catalogue titled Catalogue of the Celebrated and Valuable Collection of American Coins and Medals of the Late Charles I. Bushnell. The work, over 140 pages, described 3,000 lots. Realized $13,900.47.

The holding was well known, and it was desired by all of the leading dealers. When it was awarded to the young Chapman brothers, there was great consternation and jealousy, much of which was reflected in print in competitors’ catalogues, where every typographical or numismatic error that could be found was reprinted with glee. No matter, the collecting fraternity loved the catalogue and the sale itself, and a coin bearing the Bushnell pedigree was considered to be quite special for a long time, indeed, even today. This event, held in 1882, served to establish the foundation for the Chapman brothers’ business. The sale catalogue has become an important reference for colonials, tokens, medals, and other items in the non-mint United States series. An article by John J. Ford, Jr., “The Bushnell Sale,” by John J. Ford, Jr., appeared in The Coin Collector’s Journal, March-April 1951. and remains fascinating to read today.

More info on Augustus B. Sage:

Best remembered today for his medallic series, Sage's Numismatic Gallery, Augustus B. Sage was born in Connecticut in 1842. Little in known of Sage's early life, but in 1858 he was one of a small group of men who decided to form an "Antiquarian Society" in New York City for the study of coins and medals. (This Society, of course, would subsequently be renamed the "American Numismatic Society.")

The first meeting of this new society took place on March 15, 1858 at Sage's home on 121 Essex Street in New York City. Additional meetings, including the first formal meeting of the ANS on April 6, 1858, were also held at his home. At this latter meeting, Sage was elected Corresponding Secretary. Later that same year, on November 3, 1858, he was also elected Curator, although pressure from other matters caused him to resign from that position in January 1859.

In August 1862, with the Civil War raging, Sage joined the Union Army as a Captain in the New York Infantry Volunteers' 170th Regiment. Sage's first stint in the military service was cut short, however, when he was forced to resign due to ill health in December 1862. By July of 1863 he had recovered sufficiently to return to service, where he served with distinction and rose to the rank of Colonel before submitting his final resignation in December 1863.

After leaving the military, Sage returned to New York City where he became a lawyer. There are few indications that Sage had any significant contact with the ANS after his return to New York, other than a series of reminiscences on the formation of the ANS, which he wrote for the American Journal of Numismatics in 1867 and a few dies and catalogs which he donated that same year.

Sage died from pneumonia on February 19, 1874 at the age of 32.
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful! I like this one a lot image
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful! I like this one a lot image >>

Thanks Tookybandit! image
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pickup!
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very cool token --love the story about Bushnell and especially Sage who was doing some pretty amazing stuff in his teens. I'm sorry I had to miss GSNA this year -- it's a nice, relaxed show. NJcoincrank has great exonumia and usually the story behind the piece.

Thanks for sharing.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a great purchase with a neato story! image
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a neat token and neat story all the way around.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! image

Yes GNSA is a very nice smaller show... However it was hard being there this year as I always enjoyed spending time with Larry of Seaeaglecoins at this show! image

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    wonderfully informative post!

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

Thank you for all the information and the article. I mostly do foreign so didn't know all the details.
    From a collection that was formed before 1960.
    Condition seems similar to yours, also PL.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent information ! Thanks

RE: " listed as #58 in the book titled 100 Greatest American Medals And Tokens" The authors must have been really stretching by #58.... :)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread

A very good read!

• Options

@Que_sai_je said:
    Thank you for all the information and the article. I mostly do foreign so didn't know all the details.
    From a collection that was formed before 1960.
    Condition seems similar to yours, also PL.

Yours is struck on a brass planchet instead of copper and very nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file