Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you cracked a coin out to put into an album?

TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s been talked about many times but I was curious how many people have actually cracked a coin out to put into an album. I haven’t done it yet but I just ordered a few items specifically to be cracked out and put into albums. So it’ll be a yes for me very soon.

Have you cracked a coin out to put into an album?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never. That would be illogical.

Vplite99
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

I have for more common dates to fill an album. Would never bust out a key date or condition rarity.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2020 11:44AM
    I have

Just common Lincoln cents for a Dansco, and primarily from non-PCGS holders.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not

no I never saw any point of it. that's me though

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

Yes some common dates in basement grader holders and a few others including a modern commem for my 7070

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

I have. My Dansco Type set included several details graded coins so it wasn't that big of a deal to crack them.

• Options
    I have

The ones I’m cracking out are all lower end common coins as well. My main reason for getting them is to better ensure a problem-free coin and reduce the odds of counterfeit. So far the most expensive one I’ll do (when I get it) is $50.

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    I have

cracked a green bean to put in my Dansco

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not

Nope.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

Not for a while but I am about to do it again very soon.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    I have

@Moxie15 said:
    cracked a green bean to put in my Dansco

That takes a lot of moxie, Moxie15! :smile:

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not

No I have not.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

I did quite a few for my first Dansco 7070, placing the labels in the back of the album and have done 3 for my last Lincoln set, a 31S, 24D, and 14D. Actually, haven't broke open the 31S and 14D yet, but will before giving the set to my grandson. Still lack the 09SVDB and it will be done.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

Dozens, from $20 cost to over $1000

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

Yep. A details grade...

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

Yes, but only coins that probably didn’t deserve to be slabbed to start with.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not

I have not even considered it.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2020 1:23PM

Two so far— 1979 and 1981 S Type 2 SBAs. I wanted the guarantee they were type 2s before putting them into my capital plastic album

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

Yes, multiple times. Most expensive one was under $200.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

Half of the coins in my Dansco 7070 album are pieces that I removed from their PCGS/NGC/ANACS slabs, and I thought all were properly graded.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently cracking out coins for my Dansco. Getting quite proficient at doing it as well. Buying Proof DCAMs 69 to crack.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a large collection that were all broke out of slabs and put in albums, he saved the labels luckily

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    I have

I couple of Morgan Dollars, One PCGS and one from some no name holder for a New Orleans Mint Capital holder.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

Usually for the lower cost items, but I have cracked out a VF-30 1841 seated dollar and an 1874 trade dollar from an old ANACS holder for the Dansco type album. Most recently, I cracked out am 1876 details trade dollar - graded XF with a hole! That's become my quarantine coin necklace - at least I know the coin is genuine.

I wonder how many people here have had a coin graded themselves, then cracked it out for an album?

• Options
    Bullet01Bullet01 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    I have

I mostly def have. People are a slave to the slab.

• Options
    I have

I gotta say, a lot more people crack out for albums than even I would have guessed.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not

I have not. Not even the cheap ones.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

I have cracked a few! I keep the labels in the back of the album though.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not

I've thought about it a thousand times but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

• Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

One and it’s a funny story. It was a Jefferson Presidential Dollar in an ICG holder for my 7070. As you know there’s no slot for a Presidential Dollar in a 7070 so i was left with a raw presidential dollar.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not

Not to put into an album...

but that's because I don't use albums. Over the years I have cracked over a 100 coins to put into 2X2's.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not

Not yet....

I wouldn't do it if the coin's dollar value was too great.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2020 4:38PM
    I have

Only once... I cracked out a VF 1909-S vdb to complete my "circulated" Lincoln cent set. Just didn't like seeing the empty spot. I probably could have easily bought a raw one in that grade but I'd would have always wondered if it was counterfeit.... I do have pictures of the coin/slab (before and after) and I kept the tag, but I really don't plan on selling the set so it doesn't matter to me.

So in this case, I definitely bought the coin not the holder. :)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not

I had a friend who put together a high grade type set for his 7070 album. Almost all coins were slabbed and then cracked out for his album. After a couple of years his collecting interests changed and he decided to sell his 7070 set. You guessed it. He had to send most of his coins back to PCGS to get them reslabbed. It wasn't cheap. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

Many times. At the time of purchase the 1893-S Morgan was the most expensive coin I had ever bought. Had it cracked out at the dealers shop. Completed my Business strike album. Cracked many of the other Morgan's in that set as well.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭
    I have

I have to fill a LWC album. I saved photos prior to crackout that show enough detail that one can verify the coin in the album is the one in the holder. I will admit it was a tough decision, but wanted to make sure coins like the 09SVDB were legit.

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

Only once... I cracked out a VF 1909-S vdb to complete my "circulated" Lincoln cent set. Just didn't like seeing the empty spot. I probably could have easily bought a raw one in that grade but I'd would have always wondered if it was counterfeit.... I do have pictures of the coin/slab (before and after) and I kept the tag, but I really don't plan on selling the set so it doesn't matter to me.

I did exactly the same thing - it's in the Whitman Folder I've have since I was a kid almost 60 years ago! I just wanted to finally plug that final hole and I wanted to make sure it was real. It will never get sold while I'm alive.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

Yes. I couldn't find a raw one that looked right.

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

I've done it several times looking for something for the type set (I have 2 / 7070's). I'm not a slave to slabs anyway, it's my hobby and like to do what I want with them. I have a ton of slabs, don't get me wrong, it's just that I enjoy my albums a lot.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2020 7:39PM

I buy mostly modern’s, and it’s just my opinion but OGP > PCGS/NGC MS + PRF 69s. Pricewise, they were almost identical.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    I have

Some of the gold in my 7070 type set.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

I have cracked out a half dollar for my 7070; it was an ANACS though.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 6:42AM
    I have

Very early on, circa 1990, when slabbing was getting started, I cracked out an 1878 7 over 8 tailfeather silver dollar so that I could put it into this Capital Plastics holder. It was in an NGC MS-63 holder. I have not cracked out anything else for that purpose since. The only crack-outs I have done have been for up grades.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

I've cracked out coins for my 7070 as well.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

In the early TPG years before slabs became as prevalent, to put into Capital plastic. I still break out medals and put them into trays,

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

@CCGGG said:

So in this case, I definitely bought the coin not the holder. :)

I sold a nice certified MS64RB coin and bought a circulated VF for my own date set, the same rationale applied, the empty hole in the album was driving me crazy.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have

The most expensive coin I've cracked out is a double eagle.

Cracking out coins can be fun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file