Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CW: "Collectors get a look at the nation’s first officially colorized coins"

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collectors get a look at the nation’s first officially colorized coins

By Paul Gilkes , Coin World

Published: Jul 17, 2020, 10 AM

Colorization of 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame commemorative coins will be executed on the reverses only of the Proof 2020-P silver dollar and Proof 2020-S copper-nickel clad half dollar.

The United States Mint released images July 13 illustrating what elements of the coins’ common reverse design will be colorized, along with pricing and household-order limits. The limited-edition colorized coins go on sale at noon Eastern Time Aug. 28.

The colorized versions are being limited to 75,000 for each denomination, and a household-order limit of two coins per colorized option.

The Proof half dollar has more elements colorized than the Proof silver dollar does.

Continues in article link.......

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/collectors-get-a-look-at-the-nation-s-first-officially-colorized-coins

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2020 8:37AM

The limit of 2 per household increases their profitable flippability and likely reduces their graded pops (the big boys will not be submitting massive quantities). Should soon see BST "will buy" offers.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a sports fan, so will skip this one....The reverse looks good on the half... a bit weak on the dollar. No comment on the obverse. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Not a sports fan, so will skip this one....The reverse looks good on the half... a bit weak on the dollar. No comment on the obverse. Cheers, RickO

At least the obverse is blast white ;)

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    The limit of 2 per household increases their profitable flippability and likely reduces their graded pops (the big boys will not be submitting massive quantities). Should soon see BST "will buy" offers.

LOL..The HHL of 2 only lasts for 24 hours...

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:

No it doesn't. It is however sometimes lifted later if sales are not progressing. Because of the limit, sales on these will progress.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:

No it doesn't. It is however sometimes lifted later if sales are not progressing. Because of the limit, sales on these will progress.

Wrong Again. After 24 Hour the HHL of 2 will be lifted for both the Silver Dollar and the Clad half Dollar unless the coins go Currently Unavailable...

• Options

@cagcrisp said:
    After 24 Hour the HHL of 2 will be lifted for both the Silver Dollar and the Clad half Dollar unless the coins go Currently Unavailable...

and your source for this?

• Options

@derryb said:

@cagcrisp said:
    After 24 Hour the HHL of 2 will be lifted for both the Silver Dollar and the Clad half Dollar unless the coins go Currently Unavailable...

I will make it a point to find this thread on August 29 and post that you can now put 99 in your bag IF the coins haven't gone CU...

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:

@cagcrisp said:

I will make it a point to find this thread on August 29 and post that you can now put 99 in your bag IF the coins haven't gone CU...

Reason I ask is that the above Coinworld article does not say this and as of yet there is nothing on the Mint's website about the colorized version other than it being on the product schedule.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2020 10:41AM

Appears that the rumored lifting of HHL after 24 hrs. is speculation from that thread. US Mints has said nothing at this point about lifting HHLs. This is important because if the volume dealers cannot buy unlimited quantity they may very well offer a nice premium to those that ordered two coins. Wouldn't be the first time.

Being the first of its kind will add to the novelty of this coin. Remember the first (and only) US Mint bimetallic coin?

• Options

It's a 50/50 shot that the hhl may be lifted after 24 hrs. It's been done on several hot items in the past, along with hhl remaining in place on others....We shall see.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

OT but re: colorized silver coin issues

Gotta keep up with the Royals.....

mintage 7,500.

The one kilo gold issue has no HHL and 4 will be minted

• Options

@OPA said:
    It's a 50/50 shot that the hhl may be lifted after 24 hrs. It's been done on several hot items in the past, along with hhl remaining in place on others....We shall see.

I SURE would like to gamble with you...

• Options

@derryb said:

Appears that the rumored lifting of HHL after 24 hrs. is speculation from that thread. US Mints has said nothing at this point about lifting HHLs. This is important because if the volume dealers cannot buy unlimited quantity they may very well offer a nice premium to those that ordered two coins. Wouldn't be the first time.

Being the first of its kind will add to the novelty of this coin. Remember the first (and only) US Mint bimetallic coin?

No Rumor. Just Fact...

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:

No Rumor. Just Fact...

Fact now that the mint says so. lol

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me!

• Options

@derryb said:

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:

No Rumor. Just Fact...

It's Amazing what I can get done with the United States Mint...LOL...

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting, GB.
    Egad, that is unattractive. Not Even a low mintage or limited mintage can draw me into that noose.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Thanks for posting, GB.
    Egad, that is unattractive. Not Even a low mintage or limited mintage can draw me into that noose.

I hear you, Miles.....but I'm fascinated by the novelty of the offering.

I may buy one of the proofs just for the game of 'Will the Mint Website Crash on August 28th?'

Six weeks away!! :)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:

And 75000 is a lot.

I won't be flipping or posting offers.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2020 9:11PM

ATLAS SHRUGGED.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll admit it. They’re growing on me. When can I get one at a show or shop for just over melt? 2022?

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad the dollar is not the one that actually looks like a colorized basketball instead of a strange stripe.

• Options

@OPA said:

Actually, the normal procedure was to lift the HHL after 24 hours. Last year they kept it in place a couple times on some limited issues, probably because of complaints from the public about sellouts.

• Options

@derryb said:

How'd that work for the Apollo coins. 75,000 for an ASE is an automatic sellout. 75000 for a commemorative dollar is not.

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:

No Rumor. Just Fact...

LOL.

The kid's set has the enhanced uncirculated half dollar. Only place you can get it. Same 75,000 mintage limit. They haven't even sold 25,000 of them after 6 weeks. The gold coins are right around 10,000 sold after 6 weeks against a mintage limit of 50,000. The silver dollar is at 60,000 sold after 6 weeks.

75,000 might be the right final number, but not exactly a quick sellout with secondary market appreciation when you are starting at $100.

in my ever humble opinion

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess they’re doing their best not to offend anyone with that design.

• Options
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bounce pass

• Options

@OPA said:

403 ERROR
    The request could not be satisfied

Me too....yet that's the exact link.

Try here and then click on the high-res image.

https://www.usmint.gov/news/image-library/commemoratives#2020basketball

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really sorry to see the Mint going down this road.

This long and winding road.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

KITSCH.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mostly collect classic US and toners, but sometimes I will go for products like this for display purposes and to have fun. Yes, some are cheesy and somewhat over priced here and there but they get far more attention than my Small Stars 1807 bust half. I've bought the Palau Sand Dollar coin (which is awesome), the curved constellation coins from Australia and the Apollo 11 one dollar proof coin. All are displayed proudly on my shelf.

Not everything in this hobby is about the quick flip or making a killing. It's about having fun too, which some people on this forum seem to have forgotten about.

• Options

@DCW said:

I don't think they are leading it. I think they probably held off as long as they could.

Colorized coins are being led by countries like Canada, Fiji, Niue, etc.

The thing is that YNs are growing up with coins like Spiderman, Coca-Cola, and other coins.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just when we thought they had jumped all the sharks, there's another

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much cheese for me.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2020 9:24AM

I think the US Mint is missing out on a major revenue opportunity.

Imagine how many more collectors they could reach if they did something like the following for each team?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:

No Rumor. Just Fact...

LOL.

The kid's set has the enhanced uncirculated half dollar. Only place you can get it. Same 75,000 mintage limit. They haven't even sold 25,000 of them after 6 weeks. The gold coins are right around 10,000 sold after 6 weeks against a mintage limit of 50,000. The silver dollar is at 60,000 sold after 6 weeks.

75,000 might be the right final number, but not exactly a quick sellout with secondary market appreciation when you are starting at $100.

Well so much for my prediction of a sellout with the kid's set. These curved coins have been received quite lukewarm, not blaming the pandemic but perhaps the design just doesn't quite move people. And the colorized version doesn't seem to really pop either for those that like color on their coins. The RCM has been coloring Maple leaves for years and some of them look very beautiful.

@1northcoin said:
    Too bad the dollar is not the one that actually looks like a colorized basketball instead of a strange stripe.

Totally agree. The dollar looks like an attempt at coloring, then unfinished. Either color it or don't.

And thanks to those supporting me about the so-called rumor of a HHL lifting after 24 hours, I did see that posted right on the mint's website and was not speculating before I started the other thread on colorization. The general consensus for this coin is thumbs down. Hydrant says it best:

@Hydrant said:
    KITSCH.

• Options

@Onastone said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:

No Rumor. Just Fact...

LOL.

Well so much for my prediction of a sellout with the kid's set. These curved coins have been received quite lukewarm, not blaming the pandemic but perhaps the design just doesn't quite move people. And the colorized version doesn't seem to really pop either for those that like color on their coins. The RCM has been coloring Maple leaves for years and some of them look very beautiful.

I think you have to recognize the limited collector base for any commemorative. A different finish is not all that enticing if you are not a completist for commems. If you put a special finish Kennedy $1/2 in a special set, most Kennedy collectors wants one. If you do 5 different Kennedy $1/2 or ASE finishes in a year, a lot of people will buy all 5 to keep their set complete. If you do a commem in 3 different finishes, as here, people don't feel the need to get all 3 finishes. That's why there is often a huge imbalance between UNC and Proof mintages.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@OPA said:

403 ERROR
    The request could not be satisfied

Me too....yet that's the exact link.

Try here and then click on the high-res image.

https://www.usmint.gov/news/image-library/commemoratives#2020basketball

Thanks...that works

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins This is the US Mint, correct?? So if they did a Golden State Warriors coin they would sell it in Georgia - both Gs..

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@DCW said:

I don't think they are leading it. I think they probably held off as long as they could.

Colorized coins are being led by countries like Canada, Fiji, Niue, etc.

The thing is that YNs are growing up with coins like Spiderman, Coca-Cola, and other coins.

If anyone thinks the US is leading here, check out this 2016 coin:

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fonzi on water skis!

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins

I'm not suggesting they are leading anything. But, they are clearly following the RCM down this silly path of colorized garbage.

How did we go from Saint Gaudens to these low relief, computer designs by committee? And now, color...

Couldn't we lead by getting real artists on the payroll that know how to sculpt with their hands?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

How will colorized coins fare with professional graders?

The colorized elements of select Proof 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame copper-nickel clad half dollars and silver dollars will be considered by the major independent third-party grading services in assigning a final grade.

On Aug. 28, the U.S. Mint will offer for sale 75,000 of the Proof 2020-S colorized half dollars and 75,000 Proof 2020-P dollars. Elements on the reverse of both commemorative coins are being colorized by an outside vendor to whom struck coins are shipped from the San Francisco Mint for the half dollars and Philadelphia Mint for the silver dollars.

Collectors are asking what factors grading services will consider in assigning grades to the coins.

“What if it is Proof 68 with a bad paint job?” asks one reader. “What if it peels, yellow pigments fade and greens turn to blue and orange turns to pinks or magenta. Put some colored coins out in the sunlight for a couple days and see what happens?”

continues in link......................

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/how-will-colorized-coins-fare-with-professional-graders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file