Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I wish everything had provenance

philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 9, 2023 8:18AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Was reading that Virgil Brand had a collection of 368,000+ coins. I can’t imagine a provenance having much meaning when attached to that many coins.

Even Bass had a bunch of junk in his collection. Who knows where the coins came from, and who cares about the provenance. Obviously, he just spent and spent and spent.

With that said, the other side of my brain is: I actually want to know where most coins came from. They don’t have to be famous names. I’m thinking:

• From a bank hoard in Europe
• From a small collection handed down through three generations of a Rhode Island family
• From a treasury bag released in 1964
• Picked up at a coin show in Switzerland in 1962
• From the family of a bank president who presided over xx bank 1928-1952
• From the cabinet collection of John Doe, New England collector from 1852-1879

I love the idea of being connected to those who came before us.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020 1:24PM

Pedigrees are interesting and informative, from a historical aspect, and certainly add to the cool factor. B)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    Pedigrees are interesting and informative, from a historical aspect, and certainly add to the cool fact. B)

And there you have it.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@philographer said:
    I actually want to know where most coins came from. They don’t have to be famous names. I’m thinking:

• From a small collection handed down through three generations of a Rhode Island family

You forgot the parking lot ;)

Furthest “down” I will go is “came with a pack of smokes from a vending machine” for the 1955 double die!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@philographer said:
    I actually want to know where most coins came from. They don’t have to be famous names. I’m thinking:

Or a 200 year old safe. :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@philographer said:
    Was reading that Virgil Brand had a collection of 368,000+ coins. I can’t imagine a pedigree having much meaning when attached to that many coins.

It depends on the coin.

I like to think of this as the Brand-Morelan dollar :)

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like pedigrees, too. I have a few, and they’re not among the nicest stuff in my collection (which probably isn’t close to average for this board).
    Maybe one day there’ll be ShaunBC5 Collection pedigree.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@philographer said:

Only if you're a new error collector.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@philographer said:

Or a 200 year old safe. :o

The “will straight grade when hell freezes over” collection.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020 3:55PM

@Zoins said:

@philographer said:
    Was reading that Virgil Brand had a collection of 368,000+ coins. I can’t imagine a pedigree having much meaning when attached to that many coins.

It depends on the coin.

Technically, it is the Brand - Neil - Carter - Mr. Eureka - Contursi - Cardinal - Morelan Dollar.....but who's really paying attention, anyway?? >:)B);)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    edited July 12, 2020 4:04PM

@Walkerfan said:

@Zoins said:

@philographer said:

It depends on the coin.

Technically, it is the Brand - Neil - Carter - Mr. Eureka - Contursi - Cardinal - Morelan Dollar.....but who's really paying attention, anyway?? >:)B);)

It's great Bruce is using his name now. It would be strange for that coin to have the "Trade Dollar Nut" provenance ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pedigrees do not interest me....I know many like them and it is certainly a valid collecting niche. Now, if I could get a coin directly from the estate of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson or Benjamin Franklin... then I would be interested...but 'collectors who once owned' does not interest me at all. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have just a few items pedigreed to major collections. One is a Great Britain gold sovereign from the Eliasberg collection. As a coin it's nothing special (in terms of it being a WOW coin like some of his others), so I think it's more that he had it, rather than necessarily really studied it. Still, it's neat to know that it was part of a great collection. I also have a note from the John J Ford collection, and it's a nice enough piece (even though not super expensive) that I could imagine he gave it at least some thought, even if it wasn't a major item in his collection. I like the idea that that note was good enough for a collection of that caliber.

That said, while history is neat, I think pedigrees really come into play when there is historical meaning/context--an important collection/collector, an intriguing find, etc. I'm not sure that just knowing John Doe 1 sold the coin to John Doe 2 who then sold it to me really does much if they're both relatively unimportant people.

Of course, I'd be happy to sell you something from the Airplanenut collection--at a healthy premium, of course. Pedigree included.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every coin you order directly from United States mint does. ;)

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't own a lot of pedigreed coins but I did manage to pick up this coin yesterday.

1824 O-106 plated in Overton editions 2-5.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2022 9:39AM

@philographer said:

Even Bass had a bunch of junk in his collection. Who knows where the coins came from, and who cares about the pedigree. Obviously, he just spent and spent and spent.

I just ran across this again and I need to say that I think Virgil Michael Brand has one of the most amazing pedigrees! The number of amazing coins he had is mouthwatering! Sure, others have a lot of coins but Brand's coins are through the roof. Not sure why I didn't post this before but here's my Virgil Brand tracking thread :)

Virgil Brand, the most underrated coin collector of all time or "The King of Coin Collectors"?

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a provenance man myself

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Known history dated back decades in some case 🤔

@Walkerfan said:
    Pedigrees are interesting and informative, from a historical aspect, and certainly add to the cool factor. B)

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2022 11:28PM

@Boosibri said:
    I’m a provenance man myself

I fondly remember how RB would have hissy fits over the word pedigree, and when it turned violent, you'd see a blur of old men slapping each other's glasses off and mussing up their comb overs

it was as good as the forum ever got really

edit: except for the Anaconda meltdown - now that was riveting and inspirational

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Provenance adds to the coin, maybe not monetarily - but certainly interest wise. At least for me.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread may help:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/949479/pedigree-vs-provenance

How about The Big E ? 😎

• Options
    edited July 5, 2022 12:51AM

@SeattleSlammer said:
    How about The Big E ? 😎

It would be great to track the pedigree / provenance for every coin, owner and sale.

For The Big E, the question will always be how much of his collection was from Clapp. It would be great to have an answer and ability to search on that.

Nice coin! Here's the TrueView :)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, every coin journey is an adventure worth noting. And our minds get to ponder the implications of being in touch with the past. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    For me, every coin journey is an adventure worth noting. And our minds get to ponder the implications of being in touch with the past. Peace Roy

I can't agree more. I love farm fresh coins with history all over them. From holes to counter stamps, and all the hands that have left their unwritten story on them. Even a parking lot find is cool. Coin collecting is still COOL! :p

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:

They all do, most are just a mystery.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree to some extent. I think it would be cool to get a few tidbits of history for some of my circulated Carson city coins - was one of them included in a bank robbery? Did they see the slots of Vegas or stay weeks in the covered wagon riding the Oregon Trail?
    Yes I often think about this too... I have a super worn 1890 CC that I’m sure has some good stories if only it could talk.
    I don’t feel the same so much about the uncirculated ones - I recently had a common date 83 cc graded and it got a MS64 - which I was really pleased about then felt maybe I should have kept it raw. Once graded and slabbed it is somehow no longer “free”... if that makes any sense.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

In time, most will have some sort of pedigree. With so much data warehousing and the inevitability of strong AI being able to correlate later appearances of the same coin in new holders, it is just going to be part of the hobby. We will also see artificially intelligent systems essentially cherrypicking at an industrial level. If such prospects don't sound like fun, enjoy the hobby as it is today.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

"....

With that said, the other side of my brain is: I actually want to know where most coins came from. They don’t have to be famous names. I’m thinking:

I love the idea of being connected to those who came before us. ...."

While I have several tracking back to the 1800's this one in my favorite. From my Uncle "circa 1959 " During the depression he delivered eggs from my grand parents farm to area residents and when they had trouble paying their tab, he would ask if they had any old coins laying that he would accept payment ... This 1847 1 cent was one those ,,, not sure how much credit he would give them but I would guess 20 or 25 cents worth .

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:
    I agree to some extent. I think it would be cool to get a few tidbits of history for some of my circulated Carson city coins - was one of them included in a bank robbery? Did they see the slots of Vegas or stay weeks in the covered wagon riding the Oregon Trail?
    Yes I often think about this too... I have a super worn 1890 CC that I’m sure has some good stories if only it could talk.
    I don’t feel the same so much about the uncirculated ones - I recently had a common date 83 cc graded and it got a MS64 - which I was really pleased about then felt maybe I should have kept it raw. Once graded and slabbed it is somehow no longer “free”... if that makes any sense.

History is amazing to me. Not just in /with coins but in general. Shipwreck coins, those discovered/found in buried tins, and many other examples (perhaps the subject of a separate thread?)

By the way, its doubtful many CC coins would have been on the Oregon Trail as the CC mint didn't open until some years later.

• Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm collector/numismatist that focuses on pedigree and provenance of U.S. Mint issues awarded by a sitting POTUS (at the time of award). Here is one example.

First Day of Issue 1971-S Eisenhower silver dollar awarded by President Nixon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file