Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This Cat Lover Recently Purchased His First DOG! (1856-S $3) - Grade Posted

CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 12, 2020 10:35AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Silver is my first love. I own a box of gold coins, but would probably sell about half of them if and when the price of gold spiked up meaningfully. The box is about half darkside (mostly numismatic) and half modern commems (essentially bullion). Recently I've been looking to add some classic US gold type to my holdings, with a preference for branch mints. I've also always had a fascination with $3 gold pieces (but never owned one), so when I happened upon the coin below recently at a reasonable price, I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Comments and/or grade guesses welcome. I'll post a slab shot Sunday morning.

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's no dog! I'd love to have it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 10:03PM

@ms70 said:

DOG == Dirty Old Gold

:)

Thanks for the positive comment!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@ms70 said:

DOG == Dirty Old Gold

:)

Thanks for the positive comment!

Ah. I should have known that.... So it definitely IS a DOG!!!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

DOG says WOOF!

I like it :) Can't grade these worth a dang, but it looks 30ish

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it a lot!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

35 came to mind immediately.
    So, 35 it is.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess XF40

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020 2:56AM

VF35. Nice looking coin. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the irregular letter spacing of Liberty and the rev die break at 10-11. You did good kid! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old gold coin.... I like it... I do not have a $3 gold coin, but if shopping for one, that would be a candidate. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going with 30 and I do like it! Don't think a few grading points either direction will make much difference in the value.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my series but I'll go with VF30.

Nice piece!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather see different images to get a better view of the actual color, the fields and remaining lustre. I suspect the fields may have the look that would support an EF40 grade. There is likely some weakness in the strike that overstates the wear on the obverse portrait and high points on the wreath. Has the look regardless of the current assigned grade opinion.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

VF25

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

35-40. Very nice.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woof woof I like it

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

I like to imagine the how and where a coin like this circulated through the old West. As a new denomination, I bet it got a lot of second looks and prompted a few conversations as it passed from pocket to till.

Looks like it was removed from circulation as a VF-25.

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOOF !!!!! Nice 3 !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, solid VF 30/35 coin.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like circulated gold ... here is the one that got me stated

• Options

Cool coin, @davewesen ! The obverse looks PO1, but I guess the reverse bumped it up a grade.

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 3 eagle. I was happy not to see the typical 54 or 78. I'm in the 30 camp

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice VF-30, probably graded 35 or 40 today. It has the added bonus of being a San Francisco Mint piece. I owned a similar one in the mid 1979s. I have thought about getting one to complete an “all mints” Three Dollar Gold set.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Solid 30. Higher would not surprise me for branch mint street cred.

• Options

Thanks to all for your comments and opinions. The coin was graded PCGS VF35, which seems about right to me. The price of this issue starts to ascend rapidly at XF and above, so I'm happy to own a little piece of CA Gold Rush history without having to stretch. I also think the circulated look adds to the coin's character. I may try and find the other S-mint denominations of the era in similar condition as a fun side project.

Thanks also to Shannon at ParadimeCoins for selling me the coin and being a pleasure to do business with.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I read the title of this thread, I thought this was going to be a Good for a Scent token with a dog on it.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like yours, and when I got mine it was the first $3 gold I liked for under $800 (although gold was under $1400/oz then)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. I love the color on it. 👍

I have two $3’s. They’re addictive. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file